Paul's weekly "Guitar Talk"

Shawn: if this guitar is going to be auctioned off for, or by, the charity, it would be wonderful to have the details when they are available.

It's going to Johns Hopkins, but I'll see if I can get the details on when they might put it up for auction. Typically their auctions are held in October, about the same time we sponsor their charity concert each year.

Being a machinist, and building my own guitars as a hobby I am loving this thread. If I could just get use of the Haas at my shop I'd be set.;)

So far I particularly loved watching the inlay installation. Have been wondering about the process for a long while. Totally enjoyed hearing Paul telling the story about spray painting the board and cutting the shapes with a Dremel!

Also fascinating to see how many different steps and machines are involved just to get everything shaped for the sanding stage. I had always assumed you just planed it, glued it, stuck it in the CNC machine, and then it was off to the sanders.

So far I particularly loved watching the inlay installation. Have been wondering about the process for a long while. Totally enjoyed hearing Paul telling the story about spray painting the board and cutting the shapes with a Dremel!

I enjoyed that story as well, it was the first time I heard it.

What was the problem the guy CNCing the neck mentioned? Something in stage 2 went wrong?

Basically the tool that cuts the holes for the tuners did not go deep enough because the CNC thought the tool was longer. What should have happened is when the cutter in the last step planed the back of the headstock it should have reveled the holes for the tuners. They don't drill them all the way through to prevent the wood from tearing out when the cutter goes through.

Thanks! Turns out, I didn't understand it quite right... :D

Making progress

IMG_3679.JPG

I've been trying to catch up watching them on my TV instead of the computer. I'm loving watching the process move along.

Back