Paul Reed Smith Premier Guitar Interview 3/13/15

The whole thing about the 7 string tremolo is BS. You can get it for a private stock. Does Paul think we are idiots? I don't get what he is talking about with R&D. They've already done that with the 7 string trem. He should just say he doesn't want to do 7 string trem equipped guitars as production instruments as opposed to feeding us BS.

He should just say he doesn't want to do 7 string trem equipped guitars as production instruments as opposed to feeding us BS.

That's essentially what he said. At least that's what I gathered from "they're not going to tool up for it".

The whole thing about the 7 string tremolo is BS. You can get it for a private stock. Does Paul think we are idiots? I don't get what he is talking about with R&D. They've already done that with the 7 string trem. He should just say he doesn't want to do 7 string trem equipped guitars as production instruments as opposed to feeding us BS.

Let's look at what he actually said...

6. Need an extended-range axe? You should probably look elsewhere.
We’re really limited on our 7-string production right now because we haven’t tooled up for it at this point. PRS bridges are proprietary and as a rule we would not buy a 7-string bridge off the shelf from another manufacturer, so that’s why we haven’t expanded production to include models with tremolos. Our main concern is that other manufacturer’s bridges wouldn’t have our exact specifications on them and we’d either have to compromise our own design or invest a bunch of time and money in R&D to outsource the hardware—and that’s not something I’m comfortable doing right now. Furthermore, we’ve come to rely on our own innovations to make the instrument stay in tune and sound great. No compromises at PRS. As far as an 8-string goes, there are no plans at this point to do anything like that.
emphasis added.

This is far from "BS". It is clear that there just isn't enought demand for PRS to tool up to produce their own 7 string bridges in quantity for an S2 or core 7 at this time. He makes it clear that if it ever happens, the bridge will be designed to PRS spec, not something off of (someone else's) shelf. I read his answer as commendable, thoughtful and with an eye to preserve PRS quality.

Where you see BS, the rest of us see a man weighing business options and making a call on what works for the best use of his resources.

Further, you berate him with "He should just say he doesn't want to do 7 string trem equipped guitars as production instruments as opposed to feeding us BS." The emphasized text above shows he is not feeding anyone "BS", and makes it clear he doesn't want to take PRS in that direction at this time.

Misrepresenting Paul on his own forum...

not cool.

Let's look at what he actually said...

emphasis added.

This is far from "BS". It is clear that there just isn't enought demand for PRS to tool up to produce their own 7 string bridges in quantity for an S2 or core 7 at this time. He makes it clear that if it ever happens, the bridge will be designed to PRS spec, not something off of (someone else's) shelf. I read his answer as commendable, thoughtful and with an eye to preserve PRS quality.

Where you see BS, the rest of us see a man weighing business options and making a call on what works for the best use of his resources.

Further, you berate him with "He should just say he doesn't want to do 7 string trem equipped guitars as production instruments as opposed to feeding us BS." The emphasized text above shows he is not feeding anyone "BS", and makes it clear he doesn't want to take PRS in that direction at this time.

Misrepresenting Paul on his own forum...

not cool.

I must have missed the rule that said that all posts must worship Paul. First of all, he is contradictory. The PRS tremolo for 7 string has already been designed. You can get it on a private stock build 7 string. So, the R&D? Thats done. So, I don't get his statement about getting an off-the-shelf bridge. He just needs to get the already designed bridge manufactured....which he already has, as evidence by the few private stock builds done. I just wish Paul would say his mind rather than make excuses. If the guy doesn't want to get into extended range guitars, he should just say it. Paul is obviously a guy that isn't into the modern music thing. Fine by me. I have PRS guitars and I love them. I'm not slamming Paul but that explanation on the tremolo was very weak. He should just say he doesn't like extended range guitars and he doesn't want to get to much into making them beyond the SE and PS stuff.

No, you just missed learning that you don't get invited into someone's house and then track mud onto their carpet while enjoying their hospitality. You prove that decency isn't common, despite the expression.

Making a few custom bridges for a few private stock guitars hardly constitutes the full R&D any company would put into a full scale production run. And read the answer in bold again. You can continue to say he hasn't plainly stated he doesn't want to do a core 7 string at this time, but it's right there in black and white.

It's also a mistake to paint Paul as not being into "modern music". It is clear he embraces all that and more as evidenced by the ever expanding SE signature line.

You want a core 7 or 8 string? Line up a thousand or two of your buddies with their check books open and committed and your core guitars might appear. Insulting the man in his own house probably isn't going to get it done.

This forum has been provided by the PRS Company free of charge for people to come and discuss PRS products. There are no rules against saying you don't like this or that guitar or this or that feature. As I understand it, PRS, like any other company that wants to serve its customers, is just as eager to hear constructive critiques of its products and policies.

We are guests here. To me, that means comments need to be respectful, constructive and mindful that the opportunity to even be here is a gift. Intentional disrespect towards the man or the company is simply in bad form. It's no different than being invited to dinner and parking your truck in the front yard, ruining the lawn and then loudly complaining that the food was inadequate in some way.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Last edited:
Drew, I am not trying to pile on here. I just want to say that I believe with almost certainty ( I could be wrong) that the few PS 7 string builds have bridges that are modified one offs, not a PRS production bridge reserved for PS only.

e31.jpg

No, you just missed learning that you don't get invited into someone's house and then track mud onto their carpet while enjoying their hospitality. You prove that decency isn't common, despite the expression.

Making a few custom bridges for a few private stock guitars hardly constitutes the full R&D any company would put into a full scale production run. And read the answer in bold again. You can continue to say he hasn't plainly stated he doesn't want to do a core 7 string at this time, but it's right there in black and white.

It's also a mistake to paint Paul as not being into "modern music". It is clear he embraces all that and more as evidenced by the ever expanding SE signature line.

You want a core 7 or 8 string? Line up a thousand or two of your buddies with their check books open and committed and your core guitars might appear. Insulting the man in his own house probably isn't going to get it done.

This forum has been provided by the PRS Company free of charge for people to come and discuss PRS products. There are no rules against saying you don't like this or that guitar or this or that feature. As I understand it, PRS, like any other company that wants to serve its customers, is just as eager to hear constructive critiques of its products and policies.

We are guests here. To me, that means comments need to be respectful, constructive and mindful that the opportunity to even be here is a gift. Intentional disrespect towards the man or the company is simply in bad form. It's no different than being invited to dinner and parking your truck in the front yard, ruining the lawn and then loudly complaining that the food was inadequate in some way.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Why don't we let the mods determine what is appropriate and what is not? I've never been moderated on this forum before, and I've said other things that were not so company friendly. I can be a user and fan of the product but not always have a rose petal covered view of what Paul says or what the company does in general. I'll keep buying PRS products for years to come, or until I go bankrupt. Paul makes a wonderful product. I don't really care for a lot of what Paul says though but that is my own personal opinion. I don't have to really like the man or what he says to continue to purchase his products. Purchasing those products I believe does give me some right to speak my mind here, even if you all think it may cross some line you invented. Its great that PRS can do no wrong in your view. I respect that. But, instead of going on a long winded rant, why don't you just ignore me if there is something I say that offends you and leave the rest to the mods.

Why don't we let the mods determine what is appropriate and what is not? I've never been moderated on this forum before, and I've said other things that were not so company friendly. I can be a user and fan of the product but not always have a rose petal covered view of what Paul says or what the company does in general. I'll keep buying PRS products for years to come, or until I go bankrupt. Paul makes a wonderful product. I don't really care for a lot of what Paul says though but that is my own personal opinion. I don't have to really like the man or what he says to continue to purchase his products. Purchasing those products I believe does give me some right to speak my mind here, even if you all think it may cross some line you invented. Its great that PRS can do no wrong in your view. I respect that. But, instead of going on a long winded rant, why don't you just ignore me if there is something I say that offends you and leave the rest to the mods.

This is Paul's house. You bought some of his guitars. That gives you the right to say what you want about those products. You can enjoy them, modify them, sell them or burn them. They are yours. You did not buy his house. You are standing in it at his invitation, not because he owes you something because you privileged him by buying his guitars. "I bought and love his guitars. That gives me the right to insult the man while standing in his foyer." I find this thinking as amazing as it is rude.

It is doubtful that any mod is going to put sanctions on you for the things you have written so far, however rude they have been. But you also shouldn't expect people here that have met and know Paul to just watch you disrespect the man here and not point out the faux pas. I didn't invent the line, good upbringing did. Don't expect members here who understand the gift of this forum by the company to us to ignore such rudeness.

I have had plenty to say about things I'd like to see the company do or change. I just make my suggestions and concerns regarding PRS without rancor. Wouldn't it be easier to just read and think about what I actually write that making assumption as to motive?

As for my long winded rant, there are several other avenues open to me, but I choose to simple express my opinion as you have done above. My point is made, there is nothing left to say at this point.

Drew, I am not trying to pile on here. I just want to say that I believe with almost certainty ( I could be wrong) that the few PS 7 string builds have bridges that are modified one offs, not a PRS production bridge reserved for PS only.

I wouldnt exactly call them modified - they're built for PRS to spec in small quantities. My issue with this is not only do they exist in PS so the design is there, but you can also order them from John Mann. If he can do it, PRS can. Also dont forget the SE7 and Mushok PS 7 strings have baseplate hard tails like the Holcomb. Im sure people would accept a core 7 with that as an option. Even as a person who dislikes floyds, if the bridge was the only thing holding it up I would take a CU24 Floyd 7 string in a heart beat and just block it but at the end of the day the reason doesnt matter, the bosses at PRS dont want a core 7 and thats it. You can't force someone to love you, right?

With that said everyone please try and stay friendly and keep it respectful - we're on Pauls boards talking about Pauls guitars which we all love.

I re-read this PG article. Here's my comments and observations:

Q1: Washington Music Center?...That would be Chuck Levin's.
Q2: He'd have to select his own. I played his(that he bought in a gig bag) here in Austin
a couple of years back at a meet and greet at Guitar Rez.(Also the 1st time I'd heard the
HXDA in person: Completely blown away, and finally scored one)
Q3: I did not know this.
Q4: I did not know this either.
Q5: Next to Carlos, he's one of my all time favorites. Some would argue the best
living electric guitarist on the planet.
Q6: If you have a burning, immediate desire and need to record and perform with a 7 string buy an
Ibanez.They have cornered the market on those and you can buy those models in a range of prices. Vai
plays 'em. That's good enough for me.
Q7: Never liked the 'form factor'/design of the Narrowfields.
Q8: Notice he didn't bash Gibson. Though personally I think they(auto tuners) are stupid.
Q9: Totally agree.
Q10: PRS has indeed pushed the electric guitar into new areas, where most others have to resort to
'relics' or other gimmicks to keep selling guitars.

Bonus fact: My max is 10.
Only two comments in PG article thread at this writing. Strange.

I have no doubts that PRS would introduce a core or S2 7 string if the demand was there. Every company does market research. PRS has been building for 30 years now and is still expanding and changing its line. Sometimes they branch off into an enexpected area (think Vela and that bridge) and sometimes they are responding to market wants. They are also pretty guarded about what may or may not be in development. There could be core 7 strings on the drawing board as we chat here, who knows.

... They are also pretty guarded about what may or may not be in development...

This!

At Brian's Guitars Anniversary event in October I asked Paul what was up for 30th Anniversary gear, and you woulda thought I had asked him if I could have a copy of the "Rules of Tone" document from his vault. It wasn't too long after that (a month or so?)they unrolled the 30th Anniversary line. Who really knows what they have in development...I am pretty certain Paul won't release anything until he feel sit's ready and there is a market for it.

I normally don't feed the trolls, but dude. You are twisting what he said. Life is too short to be such a #%^!. PRS came across as open to me. I guess we all see/hear/read what we want to. Let go of what you said and maybe you will see it wasn't so. Egos wreck things.

Back