Pattern thin is my perfect neck, am I doomed to never own a 594?

CakeEater

Okay so I've never played a 594. I own a CU24 30th Anniversary with a pattern thin neck and I absolutely how it plays. I used to own a DGT and I really liked it, but once I played the pattern thin CU24 I knew I had to make the switch, and traded the DGT against it.

I really like the idea of the 594. I can't play one, I'd have to buy one online, but what scares me is the pattern vintage neck. I'm a small build and have relatively small hands, so my worry is it will just never be compatible for me.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks

You need to try one, even if you have to take a drive to do it. The 594 neck is chunky, but it is also asymmetrical. Maybe that’d work for you.

Otherwise, you’re doomed unless you want to pay a crapload of money to have PRS do the CAD design work for a 594 neck in Pattern Thin for a Private Stock.

You need to try one, even if you have to take a drive to do it.

Les's logic is undeniable. ^

Guesswork is no fun when it comes to neck patterns, and if you're considering spending that sort of coin it'd wise to take a test-drive in advance.
It's enough of a jump from pattern thin to pattern vintage that you'd want to A/B the two, if at all possible. Based on your DGT experience I'd be slightly concerned about ordering a 594 blind. But that's just me!

If you live across the pond or find yourself living in a 594 vacuum it may be more difficult to locate one within range, but if there's any way to do so it'd make your decision significantly easier, I believe.

Thanks guys, yeah It would be pretty risky to buy without playing one.

I've played a pattern neck though and found it manageable. Looking at the chart, it's about half way between pattern thin and pattern vintage.
neck-carves-jpg.4812

I'd be keen enough on a standard McCarty, I've never had a problem with the 25" scale. How impossible would it be to get a standard McCarty with 58/15 LTs? Is there any way to purchase a set?

Thanks guys, yeah It would be pretty risky to buy without playing one.

I've played a pattern neck though and found it manageable.

That's encouraging. Is it possible the DGT didn't feel as comfy for your fretting hand partially due to the jumbo fret wire?

How impossible would it be to get a standard McCarty with 58/15 LTs?

I'm honestly not sure what the official position is right now, but I have seen LTs show up in the occasional non-594, usually in Wood Library range. You might want to contact your local shop or email customer service.

Is there any way to purchase a set?

Not as a separate accessory from PRS, unless that's changed. I do see them pop up pretty regularly on Reverb and the like, but since they're comparatively rare and in demand compared to other offerings, they do command a bit of a premium still.

A big part of what makes a 594 sound like a 594 is the scale length and the two piece bridge. It’s not merely the pickups.

Just. Go. Play. One. You’ll understand the above reasoning better if you do.

That's encouraging. Is it possible the DGT didn't feel as comfy for your fretting hand partially due to the jumbo fret wire?

I'm honestly not sure what the official position is right now, but I have seen LTs show up in the occasional non-594, usually in Wood Library range. You might want to contact your local shop or email customer service.

Not as a separate accessory from PRS, unless that's changed. I do see them pop up pretty regularly on Reverb and the like, but since they're comparatively rare and in demand compared to other offerings, they do command a bit of a premium still.

I did like the DGT neck, I honestly couldn't say it was a bad experience at all. In fact it was one of the reasons I originally bought a DGT. It was my first experience with pattern thin that afterward that made me switch. It's not too surprising that 58/15 LTs aren't available first-hand. I prefer buying first-hand but I guess I'd just have to.

A big part of what makes a 594 sound like a 594 is the scale length and the two piece bridge. It’s not merely the pickups.

Just. Go. Play. One. You’ll understand the above reasoning better if you do.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to! It would mean a round-trip flight to England and back though, so it could be a while!

I have played almost everything prs, and here is my 2 cents:

Some guys can live with almost any neck carve and some guys think its a deal breaker. From what I hear from you it sounds like its a deal breaker. Do NOT get one, even the one I am selling.

I did like the DGT neck, I honestly couldn't say it was a bad experience at all. In fact it was one of the reasons I originally bought a DGT. It was my first experience with pattern thin that afterward that made me switch.

Right, gotcha. My reading comprehension engine was not firing on all cylinders, apologies.

It would mean a round-trip flight to England and back though, so it could be a while!

Ah, it was a hunch from your post but I guessed you were in the EU. From my reading it appears available models get scant at times. If we only had sci-fi tech to beam you over, there's a whole stable of beauties on the wall downtown. :(

You may find it works for you, and hopefully so -- sounds like you'd just love it if you can gel with the neck carve. I have smallish hands and PV fits like a glove, but I also really like asymmetrical necks... for some players that combination feels clunky and awkward. Best of luck to you, I hope you're able to locate one and take her for a spin.

Sandpaper and big cahones is all you need.

Kidding.

Mostly.

But if you really want one that bad, I would find a way to send it to the PTC, or at least a very respected tech in your country that would take the neck down.

I never liked fat necks. I was a dyed in the wool ibanez wizard neck guy. After a few PRSi, I actually got used to the fatter necks, and find I prefer a regular to a thin on them. You just need to play them. Your hands will figure it out.

If you got on ok with the DGT neck, I think you'd be ok with the 594. It's not baseball bat big like an R8.

I have had the opportunity to noodle around with a wide thin on a CE the last couple of weeks. Felt like a little too much space between my palm and the back of the neck.

Back