HALLOWED ILLUSIONS - Pt I: Last Breath (updated with music video)

markd21

Ok, friends....here is Part I of my epic psychedelic/doom/progressive/operatic metal tune. Please offer any feedback you have.

(See Video Below)

Now for the gear!!! The FUN part!!!!

The heavy guitars are the C# standard SE 594 and the standard-tuned SE DGT. There are two tracks of each. The 594 has two rigs, (1) and (2) lol.

Rig One is the HX Diezel VH4 channel 3 w/ an IR of a 1x12 Greenback loaded cab mic'd with a 57 1" from the cone. The second IR is a 1970 Fender Showman 2x12 loaded w/ JBL D130s mic'd with a 57 4" off the cap. Neat sound!!!

Rig Two is the same "amp/cab" as above but with less gain and a parametric EQ between the guitar and amp.

The DGT gets two rigs also. One is just the HX version of a Marshall 2203 (100 watt JCM800) w/ two IRs of a 1960B cab with G12T-75 speakers. Straight-up 80's Marshall tone. No extra drive, nothing! The second is the HX version of a Mesa Dual Rectifier w/ two IRs of a Mesa 4x12 loaded with the generic old V30s. It works....

Solo 1 was performed on my cheap-o Amazon guitar. Link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Fesley-Elect...3&psc=1&mcid=4823070b70e031eeb3250fc1f5ed6ff2

I LOVE this guitar. It did require a little filing on the fret ends. I replaced the pickups with cheap-o black ceramic magnet pickups. It has a PRS SE tremolo that has been flat mounted to the body and I added Gotoh vintage locking tuners. The guitar is a ROCK MACHINE. The electronics are still the craptastic things that came in it. It sounds how I want and plays like a dream. Don't remember the rig...I cut that solo at 3 in the morning hyped-up on 5 hour energy!!!!

Solo 2 was performed on the 594. I used a Plexi model with the Basketweave 4x12 loaded w/ G12M-25 speakers IRs that I usually use. i pretend it's my only "cabinet", lol....

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!!

Last edited:
Thanks, all!!!! I LOVE his song. I really feel Michel did an awesome ob on the vocals. These songs are coming together in such an awesome way - I can't wait for the release!!!!

Lol, right about now I wish I was living in the Netherlands so I could stick a band together with this guy....

Well, after a little tweaking and spending many hours doing story boards, here's an updated version of the song with music video!

I am currently developing separate social media for the project. I am hoping to film more content, including songwriting sessions, mix sessions, etc. to kind of give an inside look at what's being done.

We just started Pt III, which is really not a song, but a dissonant interlude where the character meets demons and angels that are working to guide the spirit in two separate directions...

I am using voice actors from Europe and the States to play the roles. It is interesting to me because the vocalist also does VO work for cartoons and video games. He took my concept and moved in a direction with scripts.

I film short videos with directions based on linguistic inflections, timing, etc. The actors review those and record their parts.

Anyway, hope a couple of you find this journey intriguing...

LOL...Michel, the singer ust hit me up and told me he posted the video on a Dutch metal forum, and there are some dudes that want to guest solo on tracks!! HAHAHAHA - so yeah...this thing is turning into quite the collaboration.

I LOVE it!!!! I have ALWAYS liked the idea of having musicians interested in collaborating in this manner. Maybe I can find a shredder with a tone better than a bumblebee to rip on a faster number....

My arthritic hands don't move like they did in my 20s!!

Cool vid! Are you using Kaliber for the AI motions? Great that others want to be a part of it, I can imagine that is very rewarding ;~)) Looking forward to the next chapter!!
Thanks!!! Yes, I used Kaliber (or whatever it's called, lol) for the AI. I am going to try Filmora next. The current video was rendered in 1080p but I feel it lacks clarity. It might be their filters - I used one called "filmic" to give everything a common visual quality, but I wonder if that kind of "ruined' the sharpness/clarity of the scenes. This was my first attempt, so I am hoping it gets better as I go.

Yes, getting others involved is VERY rewarding. Especially since they are coming to me instead of the other way around. Today Michel prepped a script for the Demons & Angels that will provide the dialog for the next chapter. He posted it on Discord for people he knows in the Voice Over world to audition for roles. I have already received four audition clips based on Michel's script!

HAHAHA, who would have EVER thought I'd be doing a long-form Progressive Metal release with a cast of world-wide musicians and actors when I was 50 years old!!!!!! I am PUMPED for the next chapter, too!!!

Thanks!!! Yes, I used Kaliber (or whatever it's called, lol) for the AI. I am going to try Filmora next. The current video was rendered in 1080p but I feel it lacks clarity. It might be their filters - I used one called "filmic" to give everything a common visual quality, but I wonder if that kind of "ruined' the sharpness/clarity of the scenes. This was my first attempt, so I am hoping it gets better as I go.

Yes, getting others involved is VERY rewarding. Especially since they are coming to me instead of the other way around. Today Michel prepped a script for the Demons & Angels that will provide the dialog for the next chapter. He posted it on Discord for people he knows in the Voice Over world to audition for roles. I have already received four audition clips based on Michel's script!

HAHAHA, who would have EVER thought I'd be doing a long-form Progressive Metal release with a cast of world-wide musicians and actors when I was 50 years old!!!!!! I am PUMPED for the next chapter, too!!!
I tried Kaliber and did not sign up because I was not satisfied with the results. Similar to what you are feeling about the clarity. I also was unimpressed with the transitions/movement they were adding, seemed like mild morphing and slight movement. Then again, I never got to test at higher res because it was a trial account, but I did not think it gave me enough of what I was wanting from it. Let me know what you think of Filmora and whether the higher res settings help out Kaliber at all!

Congrats on the progress so far and ROCK ON!

Back