P90 vs. hum sized P90, a semi-hypothetical mod discussion

True P90 mod, or hum sized P90 equivalent?

• Just slap some hum-sized P90 types in there!

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Mod that sucker, only true P90's will do!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

garrett

Let's say you have a mahogany PRS with a pickguard routed for humbuckers. You want the P90 sound out of this guitar. For equivalent budget, would you rather:

a. Buy the nicest set of humbucker sized P90's the budget will buy,
or
b. Spend some of that budget to mod the guitar and buy a lower priced set of true P90's?

edc67ca1eb00f62472d392fe412bf95bd1003a38f283281538b766e7e645c130.jpg

I have a HB sized P90 on one of my guitars and it sounds heavenly. I wouldn't think twice of doing it again.

Interesting.... I'm right in the middle of installing a set of Railhammer H90's into one of my Albert Lee HH guitars (I have 3) and took a break when I see this thread. I'll report my humble opinion after I spend some time with it....;)

I've not done a side-by-side comparison, but if given a choice, I'd stick with a soap bar. Otherwise, grab a P-94 and give it a try!

I think I went for the most expensive option.

I tried this first:

IMG_0745_zpsvvomtmd6.jpg

...and then liked it so much I ordered a Private Stock SC 594 with Soapbars in it!

:)

I am sure you guys are SHOCKED with that behavior from me... ;)

If you were cutting wood I'd say use H sized P90's. Since it's only a pickguard, cut a new one and put in real P90's. Then you have both with just a pickguard swap.

If you were cutting wood I'd say use H sized P90's. Since it's only a pickguard, cut a new one and put in real P90's. Then you have both with just a pickguard swap.

Yep, I gotta say this!

Don't forget that proper P90's don't mount to a pick guard, they mount to the body. (unless you're using dog ears...but that still wouldn't be right...)

btw, initial tests of my modded AL are very promising :)

I'm thinking if you're gonna go P90, you should really go all the way. It would appear that coil size and depth are key attributes to getting That Sound.

Back