P24 questions from a newbie

jw3571

Hey guys, first post here. I'm a long time Gibson guy, but the P24 in Eriza Verde looks appealing. I don't know much about PRS guitars, can someone explain where the P24 fits in the lineup. How will the tone compare to a Les Paul Traditional? Also, these are expensive guitars, do they hold their value relatively well? I've heard a lot of Gibson guys admit that the build quality of PRS is much better than their Gibsons.

The P24 has basically the same make-up as a Custom with a maple top on a mahogany body. The set mahogany neck has a rosewood board. The pickups aren't as hot but are very musical. You can definitely go to Les Paul land with the P24 but you can also visit Taylor-ville with the Piezo. From what I've read they're not going to make a lot of them so if you are serious about it don't wait too long.

I've got an R9 and a P22(two less frets). I don't play my R9 much since I bought the PRS. My production PRS is built every bit as nice as the Custom Shop R9 Les Paul. Sound wise they are both great Rock guitars - and you can bet a nice range of tones from either. Where the PRS shines is COMFORT and Playability - It's light, wood is cut and shaped so it doesn't rub you wrong anywhere - the neck carve is PERFECT to me. PLUS the Piezo is huge if you are playing in a band - it's really a nice tone to have when you want it. :D

OP--you should play some PRS if you haven't already. The playability and quality are obvious and IMO leagues above a regular Gibby. Now an R9 is IMO the pinnacle of the Gibson line so you have the finest the Custom shop produces. That said any PRS will hang with it. The P 22 is not the PRS answer to the les Paul, the SC 58 is, so it won't be exactly like your other guitar. Which is a good thing!

OP--you should play some PRS if you haven't already. The playability and quality are obvious and IMO leagues above a regular Gibby. Now an R9 is IMO the pinnacle of the Gibson line so you have the finest the Custom shop produces. That said any PRS will hang with it. The P 22 is not the PRS answer to the les Paul, the SC 58 is, so it won't be exactly like your other guitar. Which is a good thing!

It's is a good thing! I didn't go SC58 because I've got that covered ;) The PRS is it's OWN THING and that's a good thing! :)

Hey guys, first post here. I'm a long time Gibson guy, but the P24 in Eriza Verde looks appealing. I don't know much about PRS guitars, can someone explain where the P24 fits in the lineup. How will the tone compare to a Les Paul Traditional? Also, these are expensive guitars, do they hold their value relatively well? I've heard a lot of Gibson guys admit that the build quality of PRS is much better than their Gibsons.

I own a P24 and a '58 Historic, they're completely different instruments and get completely different tones. The P24 is a very modern sounding instrument with a somewhat thinner and scooped tone compared to the Les Paul. The piezo on the P24 is epic, with the blend knob you can dial in some very very cool clean sounds, especially when played through an acoustic amp (or in my case a Roland Jazz Chorus). Build-wise, the P24 is much more professionally put together than the Gibson, mine was literally perfect right out of the box, I just tuned it up and started recording with it. I had to replace the pickups, electronics, pots, nut, bridge saddles, and bridge posts before the Gibson felt comparable. Just my $0.02. The two guitars compliment each other really well, best of luck to you if you decide to get one.

Back