P-22 Mods

Jmartin

I purchased a p-22 in January of this year, so it’s still under warranty. I am thinking of modifying the electronics a bit, and I’m wondering if this would void the entire warranty, or just the part that covers the electronics. What I want to do is replace the 5-way blade switch with a 3-way blade switch and then replace the volume and tone pots with push-pull pots for coil splitting. That would give me any combination of hum/single that I could want. That, combined with the piezo bridge pickup would make this the swiss army knife of guitars. Opinions?

Always go to the source for warranty questions. Call the PTC. But my guess is that it would void the warranty. They’ll warranty their work but not anyone else’s.

That's pretty much what I did with my P22. I enlisted the help of Jack Gretz, and we installed McCarty pickups, a 3-way blade switch, and a push-pull for the tone pot. I've never been happier with my P22!!

That's pretty much what I did with my P22. I enlisted the help of Jack Gretz, and we installed McCarty pickups, a 3-way blade switch, and a push-pull for the tone pot. I've never been happier with my P22!!

That’s good to hear. I’m not doing the install myself, I have a local guitar guy that I use. What did you do with the bleed cap? How does removing it change the tone?

That’s good to hear. I’m not doing the install myself, I have a local guitar guy that I use. What did you do with the bleed cap? How does removing it change the tone?

It sounds better! I have absolutely no issues with cleaning up a crunchy tone with the volume knob. Also, the highs aren't so ice-picky. Also, in my opinion, it just looks better with the covered pickups.

Thanks. That's a good link. I still think that I like the idea of putting in a 3-way blade and 2 push-pulls. It's easier for me to think about that way. Would removing the bleed cap affect the piezo system's tone?

Back