Ouch! Was this appointed by one of you?

My Cunetto relics are the same way. They feel old...

I also have a Danocaster "Keef" tele that feels the same way...

331987989.jpg

331987996.jpg

331987995.jpg

331987993.jpg

Jamie

I still maintain that it's a function of the artisty involved. Jamie's guitar above (to me) looks really cool. The guitar in the video, not so much. Me personally? I like minty fresh stuff. Even my vintage guitars are pretty minty. But if I saw Jamie's guitar out someplace, I'd do a double take and think that it looked great.

The thing that's so bad about the CE getting relic'd is that after 40 years of everyday play it will never look like that one in the video.
The poly finish does not wear. I have 20 year old CE that has tons of gigging and abuse and it still looks almost new.
I'm all for people doing what they want to their guitars but this is something I would never do to a PRS.
I can understand getting proper relic done to nitro finished guitar to make it feel and look old but it just doesn't work for me on poly finished guitars.

I'm on the fence with relics
I love aged finishes and wood but I'm not a fan of grotty looking metal

I don't get why people care about this. It's just finish. The instrument itself probably plays better.

People don't get offended by antiqued furniture, or pre-faded t shirts. Why is this different?

I thought the original finish was beautiful, but it's not my guitar. Maybe he's not a poseur, pretending the guitar has had a harder life--he just likes the way it feels to play a worn guitar. I don't make that choice myself, but I don't get why it's not a valid choice.

Back