Opinions on my next amp

Yourdudeness

My only amp at the moment is a UK made Laney VC15 to me is one of the finest small amps ever made, a best kept secret, but of course it has its limitations. I use mostly the amp for band rehearsal, recordings and practice but I'm not gigging at the moment so its fine. The Laney has a super sound, cleans are spectacular and crunch is good for classic rock stuff.

I recently got a PRS CE24 in Trampas Green and I believe its time to upgrade my amplification.

After careful consideration and removing from the list all contenders, the chosen one is a Mesa Boogie Xpress Plus 5:25. To me, versatility is crucial I want to be able to have magnificent cleans and very heavy distortion at the same time and this upgraded version with the EQ borrowed from the Mark Five is a real toolbox.

If you have experience with this amp please let me know also I was considering a PRS amp but I havent seen anything yet in specs matching the Boogie but then again Ive never played before a PRS amp so suggestions are welcome.

The Express would be a good choice. I have a Mesa MarkV35 and a PRS Archon 50. I find myself playing the Archon the most.

Another vote for the Archon. It is so much more than just a high gain, fire breathing beast.

PRS has a long history with Mesa amps and Mesa amps sound great with most anything IMHO

I love my PRS H ( Custom 50 would be the new model ) it has a great clean channel and IMHO on of the best gain channels I have played
I have yet to try the Archon but I am betting its a fine amp

Thank you guys next time at guitar center I will def try an Archon along with the boogie, seems like a very interesting amp as well.

One suggestion - if you get to try the Archon, make sure you run through the full gain stages on both channels. There are some nice tones to be found at the high end of the clean channel gain and the low end of the lead channel.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep that in mind. I live in Ecuador but I'm going to The States for a few weeks in July so more than enough time to try some amps!

Back