Only one feature from 594

I really love everything about them...only thing I could ask for is more...like semi hollow and piezo options (but there's always PS...).

Tremolo.

I like the control layout of the 594, can't stand the way a TOM looks on a non-Gibson guitar. Retaining the double cut Strat-esque shape doesn't allow my brain to process the TOM.

Still, I have love for all things PRS....don't burn me at the stake. Glad the model is making so many happy. Until there is a tremolo option, I'll just throw my money at other PRS creations.

***Okay...upon further review, I seem to have read the thread wrong...ignore me.

I've begun to think if they do this, and I can get one with a maple neck, I can retire from guitar buying.

This GAS thing is a serious disease...I thought "this is the last one" about 4 guitars ago...

In fairness, a lot of those options aren't specific to the 594 and McCarty switching would eliminate some of the others.

Which is kinda one of the reasons I started this thread. What makes the 594 so well received? I'm sure it's a combination of things, but what's the main thing?

The love for the 594 is a phenomenon I itself.

... What makes the 594 so well received? I'm sure it's a combination of things, but what's the main thing?
Ok, if you want to go there, I'll say it, but it probably isn't what we, the PRS faithful, want to hear. The reason the new 594 is eclipsing the old McCarty is the close likeness to the Les Paul layout. PRS gets close to saying it on their webpage with the "vintage-inspired, familiar, and authentic" adjectives. There is just no getting around the fact that guitar enthusiasts prefer the Les Paul layout. Give them a better built guitar with the same layout and they will buy PRS. Give them the same well built guitar in a different layout and they will not.

Me personally, I prefer the old McCarty and the SC - 4 control layouts. I prefer the PRS signature non-bound neck. But I didn't grow up playing a Les Paul, so I may be just proving my point again.

Ok, if you want to go there, I'll say it, but it probably isn't what we, the PRS faithful, want to hear. The reason the new 594 is eclipsing the old McCarty is the close likeness to the Les Paul layout. PRS gets close to saying it on their webpage with the "vintage-inspired, familiar, and authentic" adjectives. There is just no getting around the fact that guitar enthusiasts prefer the Les Paul layout. Give them a better built guitar with the same layout and they will buy PRS. Give them the same well built guitar in a different layout and they will not.

Me personally, I prefer the old McCarty and the SC - 4 control layouts. I prefer the PRS signature non-bound neck. But I didn't grow up playing a Les Paul, so I may be just proving my point again.

The SC245 has had Les Paul style controls for a while. I'm sure that's part of it, but there's something else. Something else finally broke the damn. I'm just finding it hard to believe it's the extra .094"

Even the 58/15s have been in the SC245 since 2015.

Last edited:
The SC245 has had Les Paul style controls for a while. I'm sure that's part of it, but there's something else. Something else finally broke the damn. I'm just finding it hard to believe it's the extra .094"

Even the 58/15s have been in the SC245 since 2015.

I'm just about positive the 594 series is the first to have the "G" knob layout. And the 58/15 LT pickups are cleaner sounding than regular 58/15.

You really can't narrow it down to one detail. For me, it's the best feeling/playing neck I've found. Even that is a combo of the backshape, binding, and frets.

I'm about ready to go all-in on the 594, which is kind of funny because I don't come from a background of playing short scale, bound, four knob guitars. At all.

Once I got the muscle memory down for bends, I love the scale. For a long time, I scoffed at the idea of binding on a PRS fretboard, but dammit those perfectly smooth edges feel soooo good. I appreciate all the coloration you can get with the 4 knobs. I've had a couple with the PRS 4 knob layout, and I think the "old" way is much more ergonomic.

It's really all about taking what's best about the best Les Pauls (burst era) and combining it with what's best about PRS.

The SC245 has had Les Paul style controls for a while. ...Even the 58/15s have been in the SC245 since 2015.

I'm just about positive the 594 series is the first to have the "G" knob layout. And the 58/15 LT pickups are cleaner sounding than regular 58/15.

I believe garrett is correct. The 594 was the first to have the lagging diamond layout. PRS has had a leading diamond layout. That also places the two volumes in line instead of a volume and tone in line for each pickup.

I can say that I'm very excited about the 594 DC with P-90s I bought. The 4 knob control layout is like the one on my '65 SG Special, so that's familiar. That one has a TOM bridge, too. So it'll be kind of cool to experiment and see what happens.

[QUOTE="RevBillyG, post: 336097, member: 16744"

The love for the 594 is a phenomenon I itself.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely !

Back