Only one feature from 594

RevBillyG

If you could have only one feature from the 594, which would it be?

Volume & tone control for each pickup?
Individual coil taps for neck & bridge pickup?
Bound neck?
58/15LT?
Bound neck?
Scale Length?
T.O.M.?
Selector switch on upper bout?

Anything I miss?

Last edited:
If I can choose neck shape + scale + thickness of body then that's what I choose :)

Otherwise I'd say scale.

Bound neck isn't that important, neither is T.O.M. I haven't tried a regular McCarty, but I guess I'd like that bridge too. Pickups sure sound good, but I could easily put a set of SD Seth Lovers in a McCarty and be totally happy.

There's something magical about how it plays. Neck shape and scale is probably it.

Volume & tone control for each pickup?
I get this with the PRS 2V2T layout and I like the PRS layout better
Individual coil taps for neck & bridge pickup?
I do like this but it is offered on S2's as well. I would like to see it on all SC's in the future
Bound neck?
I prefer the PRS signature look of no binding
58/15LT?
I'd pick these.
Scale Length?
a Nice to have but not a requirement
T.O.M.?
Not a big deal
Selector switch on upper bout?
Not on a DC

Everything matters for tone, of course, but my favorite secondary benefit of the 2-piece PRS bridge is that it makes for the fastest, easiest, string changes ever.
I was wondering if the 594 stop bar was like Ibanez's version with the angled quick change channels. It looked like it in the pictures.

For me it'd be those 58/15 LT pickups.

I'll play along and say - the selector switch on the upper bout of the DC.

I just think that was shocking (even disorienting at first) as it was something I never thought Paul would do. And I generally find that to be the easiest place for a 3 way toggle on any guitar - super convenient to go between bridge and neck pups during a solo.

I'd love to see that config on a DGT!

Skeeter, I have to go with you on the selector switch. It is so much easier to flip with my thumb while playing fingerstyle or a quick strum up close to the neck if using a pick, no reaching back and trying to keep rhythm. I want to re-locate the switch on my SCHBII to the correct spot now. I know, it'll be a pain in the ass (there's a reason hollow bodies have everything close to the pots) but I REALLY dig having the switch there on my 594. Now, imagine a 408 with all three switches there on the upper bout.

Last edited:
The TOM is going to be critical to the tone. I bet if you put a single-piece stoptail on this guitar it would sound markedly different. Couldn't sacrifice that IMO if you like that sound.

If PRS made a 594 with a classic McCarty control layout... I might buy it.

So you want everything but the control layout... that's kind of the opposite of the original question.

You only get one thing.

For me, the only thing I really want is the additional volume knob... which means I should probably look to acquire a DGT.

So you want everything but the control layout... that's kind of the opposite of the original question.

You only get one thing.

In fairness, a lot of those options aren't specific to the 594 and McCarty switching would eliminate some of the others.

Put a TOM on a McCarty and we're already most of the way there.

Except for the tuners, nut, neck shape, frets, scale, body thickness, pickups, and wiring. So yeah, almost there. :p

Fair enough. I just skimmed the list in the OP and never looked any deeper.

I'm going to stand by my first post. There's no specific feature that I want... a guitar is the sum of all it's parts and taking one thing without being able to add all the other things that make that one thing work in context seems rather arbitrary. Is it the scale length that makes a 594 sound like a 594? Or is it the nut? Bridge? Pickups? Pickup location?

That said, I specifically know what I don't want and that's Les Paul controls on a PRS. As a Les Paul guy, one of the things I appreciate about PRS is the superior control layouts. As a guy that rides the controls a lot it's nice to not have to stop playing to ride the volume, and on the double cuts it's nice to not have the switch on the opposite end of the guitar as everything else.

Obviously, the above is my opinion. I understand that plenty of people will disagree.

Back