Only 2 weeks ago

markintime

Wood Grain Devotee
I posted a thread regarding a pickup conundrum I was having, trying to decide which set to have put in my new SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary. I went with the 59/09's and I have been just super happy with the sound. Everything I had read from all the posts in this and other forums bore out the claims. IMO, they are GrrrreATTT! And the picture I posted was one from Sweetwater, but it had the HFS/VB, cream pickup rings and toggle switch tip, and 9 gauge strings.

So. I got everything and upped the ante to a 10 gauge set with all the necessary setup for nut adjustment, trem setup and intonation. Just one little but - they forgot the rings and tip. 'Nother but - they made it right. Today I made my newest complete, finally.

Here are the pics I promised, outside, natural light, moderately overcast, no sun peeking through the clouds:

30thSE_CU24_1_zpsbfjsgs4p.jpg

30thSE_CU24_2_zpsmgno6ws1.jpg

30thSE_CU24_3_zpszwjlf7jp.jpg

30thSE_CU24_6_zpsokpebeoa.jpg

30thSE_CU24_13_zps2litphmh.jpg

30thSE_CU24_10_zpsrrhnyfck.jpg

My guy at Sweetwater couldn't get the PRS toggle tip, so he sent one slightly different, and frankly I like it much better. The shape taper swells out to the end as opposed to the cone shape of the original and doesn't have the casting line around it. It was quite a nice tight fit, so I know it won't come off. Also, it feels better catching it with the pinky switching pickups.

In yet another thread, I learned that this 30th Anniversary edition actually has a slightly larger neck carve, and this came from the dudes at PRS themselves. You can find the actual quote in a couple of other threads. And I like that change as well.

Sounds great, feels great switching pups, trem works perfectly without losing any tuning whatsoever, it is absolutely beautiful with that awesome quilt, and looks cosmetically 100 times better, IMHO, with the all black trim treatment (no zebras). This is what a SE Custom 24 should look and sound like, again, IMO. The only thing it lacks is a carved top and you couldn't tell it wasn't core if you didn't know! Well, maybe. I think so.

Needless to say, I saved enough to get some other goodies, AND managed to score a 2012 SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow in Tobacco Sunburst which will show up at my front door sometime today (since it's after midnight now).

I really need to put this GAS to rest now.... whew.

Veeeeery nice. The all-black choice was definitely a good idea.

lovely, looks great

How to you find the tones and playability with the core model you have

Nice! I'll have to try one of those necks sometime... might have to grab a 30th SE just for the heck of it. Have a 25th, gotta keep the collection going!

That looks killer man. Love the all black and the square bobin. Now all we need is some sound demos ;)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Right when I first got this one, Sweetwater got in a Limited Run of the SE 30th's with 6 new colors. The original only had 3, but I am glad that I got this one. Just really lucky in this case.

That looks killer man. Love the all black and the square bobin. Now all we need is some sound demos ;)

Heh, yes, once I learn how to use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio Bundle that I bought together with this jewel. I have absolutely no experience in the recording realm, so it will take a while.

Sigh. Waited patiently all day and no delivery. What has happened to the US Postal Service motto of "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, shall stay the blah, blah, blah from my appointed rounds.... blah, blah, blah." ? My 2012 SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow was shipped via USPS priority delivery, 2 days. It was coming from Wilson, NC and left Raleigh, NC at 11:41pm on 4/30/2015. Expected delivery Saturday, May 2. I live in Clinton, SC. So disappointed in the Postal Service. They do not have government workers, just employees. Obviously not the same thing. Our Post Office is open from 9 to 10 am on Saturdays. Really??? Spoke to the mail carrier and she said that deliveries have been very slow the past couple of weeks. Should never have replaced the Pony Express. Bah, humbug! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks, Serge. Consoling with this one. I'll try taking my mind off the USPS by soul searching a name for this one. After all, it is special being the only one I have that has been modified from stock. Hey, yeah, it truly IS a custom. Bright ray of sunshine coming through! Thanks again!

Back