One Man's Struggle w/ G.A.S. - Am I alone??

No doubt it's an ultra pain. Friggin' sparkles everywhere.
I don't see what the problem is. I live with a three year old that has every cheap-@ss frickin' dress the Disney store sells. There is glitter on everything we own.

I apologize for bumping a very old post. But, I'm looking for some information about the OPs McCarty Purple Sparkle with bird on the body.

I'm currently in possession of this guitar and have no information about it. Not sure if anyone here can help me get a background on this lovely guitar.

Also, I acquired it in trade so I have absolutely no idea of its value. Original and present.

Thanks all for your help.

I am actually the original owner of this purple sparkle McCarty guitar with the bird decal under the clearcoat and am desperately trying to find the current owner with the hopes that they may wish to sell it for a reasonable value. If anyone here may know them can you point them in my direction please? Had to sell due to the usual terrible things that separate us from beloved gear. Any info or help is dearly appreciated.

I just saw it sell shortly after last year's Experience on reverb. You can still find the listing with a simple Google search. I almost bought it myself, but I had put a moratorium on buying guitars until I started practicing more consistently.

OK so I have been going through my old craigslist ads and discovered I have had a ridiculous amount of guitars in the last few years. No matter how happy I feel with my current setup I start getting that bug, that desire for a new one. Now, I won't say I'm poor, but I'm not rich. So if I want something new I usually have to trade. I have been fortunate recently that I have always have been able to flip into something better. So as of this moment I am very guitar happy..but I am starting to feel that bug inside eat at me. Which is dumb. And I know it. So this is my one man confessional to my fellow PRS lovers and friends in hope that by admitting I have a problem I can try to fix it. And I'm hoping someone else out there has some issues also and can give me some advice to keep what I have and be happy!

Now I know this is kinda silly, but it does cause me a lot of stress at times and a lot of miles on my car. My wife is VERY supportive but I can tell it's gotten old with her. It's gotten old with me too. Sometimes I'll make a trade in hopes I can flip it into something better. For example..earlier this year I flipped my beat up DGT (non 10 top with moons) for a Les Paul Deluxe and a Martin acoustic. Then the Les Paul for a nice CU24, then the CU24 for a McCarty and a Tele..and then the Tele, Martin, Cu24 and a Strat I had (USA Standard that I picked up for $350) for my Paul's guitar. So even though a lot passed thru my hands, basically the beat up DGT and a Strat became a new Paul's Guitar. See how that can be addicting??!?!

But sometimes I get burned. I traded a American Deluxe Ash Tele for a Regular Deluxe Tele and have regretted it ever since..The tele I got was crap!

My hopes is by admitting this on here among friends and some fellow G.A.S.-oholics that maybe I can see how dumb this is and start fixing my problem. A problem I love to have, but none the less, a problem...

So here is a list of what I have traded and owned (and no longer have) since Jan 1st of last year....

PRS
McCarty (Royal Blue)
McCarty (McCarty Burst)
McCarty (Purple Sparkle w/bird on the body)
Standard 22
Singlecut Trem
Custom 22
Custom 24 (Green)
DGT (Sunburst)
USA Tremonti
Artist V
Swamp Ash Special
DC3
CE

FENDER
FSR Stratocaster
Deluxe Telecaster (Butterscotch) 1
Standard Telecaster (Sunburst)
Hwy 1 Stratocaster
Lite Ash Telecaster
Standard Stratocaster
Standard Telecaster (Black)
Deluxe Stratocaster (Honey Blonde)
Deluxe Stratocaster (White)
Deluxe Telecaster (Butterscotch) 2
Eric Johnson Stratocaster

OTHER
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson 73 Les Paul Deluxe
Jackson PC1
Martin Acoustic
ESP LTD GL Kamikaze
Tom Anderson Short T
Peavey HP CT
Charvel San Dimas

See what I mean...kinda dumb.

Right now I have a 98 Custom 24, Paul's Guitar and a Wood Library DGT..2 guitars that I really love and 1 (cu24) that I really like. So I'm in a really good spot.

Any advice? Thoughts? Laughter?

You're not alone. It's a disease you know! :)

I am a piker.......2016 was a lightening up year for me. I DID have 8 come in the door, but 31 went out. So, nearly 2 per month (net) sales. Thus far, one sold in 2017, so I am on track for a net sale of one per month. Still a ways to go.

My gas has been curbed by the most ridiculous of reasons. On Oahu, they are building a rail system.. I know I know... what the hell for??!?!? I ask that same. My pusher lays in the path of the rail construction and the roads are 6th world at present and traffic is amazingly horrible. That keeps me out of that area. Oh, I could go downtown to other locations, but.. wahhhh.. it's too far... I'm pretty set with simple Fender amp, and some pedals that reside full time in a briefcase, and my modeler... I'm a rock star I tells ya... in the living room... I'ma god!!!.....:p

I used to do what you did but with amps. A whole lot of amps. As long as you are messing around with used equipment you should be fine as long as you negotiate your prices. Might make some money reselling if you dont like. At the very least break even.

I've been though more than a reasonable amount of guitars and basses over the years. Getting out and playing with other folks really helped cure the worst of it. Still going through an instrument or three a year. But nothing like what it used to be. For me it's about the hunt as much as the guitar. That's why the Mira X is on a stand in the living room.

Such an interesting thread I had to bump it for my own 7 step program. (21 steps)
My name is Wolf I am an addict. I can't believe how many guitars I Have owned in 10 years
Started playing in 2005, Sold most of these as I traded to the next guitar. So I buy a new guitar about every 6 months it looks like.

1. 2005 made in Mexico Fender strat Burgundy.
2. Gibson SG standard
3. PRS custom 24, american, 20th anniversary. ( sold to pay rent)
4. Music man axis super sport
5. Les Paul studio lite 500T pickups
6. PRS Michael Ackerfeldt SE
7. Fender American standard metallic gray (Dead spots around the 13th fret sad)
8. PRS Paul Allender SE purple quilt nice (gave to daughter Collector item)
9. PRS Frederick Akesson SE Brown quilt.
10. Music man John Petrucci signature (awesome)
11. PRS Mark Tremonti American (still own it NUMBER ONE it can do no wrong)
12. Gibson Les Paul supreme emerald green quilt top (low quality frets in 90 days sold)
13. Gibson Les Paul axcess nice but (clangy floyd rose)
14. Epiphone Les Paul boneyard Joe Perry guitar (EXCELLENT SOLD TO A FRIEND)
15. Squire Hello Kitty Stratocaster still have it very cool. ($99 bucks, fixed up nice.
16. Fender American deluxe Stratocaster sunset metallic
17. Gibson Les Paul 2014 classic (no weight relief, 11 pound guitar very nice tone)
18. PRS custom 24 SE Floyd Rose polyurethane coat too heavy.
19. Michael Kelly Custom collection 50 Telecaster, excellent guitar still have.
20. PRS studio 3 pickups blue quilt 10 top (just didn't bond with it.)
21. Reverend Rick Vito Signature very nice guitar (did not like ebony fretboard)
22. Ritchie Kotzen Japanese stratocaster (very nice)

HELP:confused::eek:o_O

GAS' ing for PRS singelcut 594 final stop, maybe.

I've traded around a ton just in the past few months. Strats, Teles, LPs. Now I've ended up with a Custom 22, an SE245, and a HW1 Strat. Next on my wishlist is a DC3 to replace the Strat and a McCarty or Core 245 to replace the SE

I've traded around a ton just in the past few months. Strats, Teles, LPs. Now I've ended up with a Custom 22, an SE245, and a HW1 Strat. Next on my wishlist is a DC3 to replace the Strat and a McCarty or Core 245 to replace the SE

That sounds like a perfect plan. I do find the SE pickups to require an upgrade they are Pretty good for what they are they are a little bit too bassy, but the American models pickups are generally designed with the guitar to work nearly perfect. And let's not mention the Maple tops
because I'll end up with a double cut 594 and a single cut 594.
yikes:rolleyes:

That sounds like a perfect plan. I do find the SE pickups to require an upgrade they are Pretty good for what they are they are a little bit too bassy, but the American models pickups are generally designed with the guitar to work nearly perfect. And let's not mention the Maple tops
because I'll end up with a double cut 594 and a single cut 594.
yikes:rolleyes:
Well right now, the SE has a set Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups, which are pretty nice. I thought SEs were just fantastic until I got my Core. SEs are great for the price, but Cores are another world entirely!

@slang05 - I don't have that issue really. I have a hard time letting guitars I like go. It pains me if I need to do it. I don't really get GAS much anymore, in terms of guitars, since getting my PS. Sure, there's a few guitars out there that I'd like, but I'm not dying for them.
I'm not one who buys/sells/trades often, but my analysis comes down to two questions:

1. Do you enjoy buying/selling/trading? If the answer is "Yes" then keep on doing it. The number of guitars that pass through your hands is irrelevant as long as you're enjoying yourself. This is contingent on...

2. Does buying/selling/trading hurt anything (does it cause financial struggle, marital strife, mental stress)? If the answer is "Yes" then stop to do some serious evaluation of your wants and needs and curb the activity. Honestly, the best measure is to stay off the internet; it's the best marketing tool ever created.

This sums it up IMO.

I think as stated more clearly by others, you have to like to trade, swap, negotiate, barter etc.. in order to enjoy playing something for a while and then inexplicably selling or moving it..the criteria that some set that if it doesn't get played a lot, it goes, tells me that they impulsively buy and then the thrill is over. The drug is having and moving..

I think as stated more clearly by others, you have to like to trade, swap, negotiate, barter etc.. in order to enjoy playing something for a while and then inexplicably selling or moving it..the criteria that some set that if it doesn't get played a lot, it goes, tells me that they impulsively buy and then the thrill is over. The drug is having and moving..

Yes. In large part. For me it's also part of the evolution of how I play and what I want when playing. My acoustics now are a far cry from what I was playing 20 years ago. Not just sound, but also feel. Back then I wanted a skinny neck. Now it needs to have some width and depth to satisfy and make sure my CTS doesn't flare up.

But with electric, it still is more the hunt than anything else. Finding the deal and then, most often, modifying the instrument to more closely match what I want at the time. Hence the Phat Cats in the Mira X.

"There's no such thing as GAS, like it's some kind of mental illness.

"Acquiring gear is part of the natural order of life.

"It is your duty as a human being to accumulate as much stuff as you can possibly buy, beg or steal, and stuff it into your homes until the walls explode and you need warehouses. It is a requirement of natural law and common sense that you satisfy these urges, as well as all other urges that don't hurt anyone else, at all times, whenever you like...and furthermore..."

Nurse: It's time for your medications, Mr. Les.

"Do I have to? I'm really having fun right now. I'm teaching a class on natural law.:

Nurse: Yes. Now be a good gentleman and open your mouth so I can give you your meds. That's it. Now here's some water to wash them down. Good! Good for you.

"I feel a little sleepy now. Class dismis....s......d.....zzzzzzzz"

I can't remember them all. I had a real problem in the early to mid 2000s. Ever since '08 I've slowed down a little.

Fender Custom Shops (4)
US Fenders (4)
Gibsons Customs (2)
US made Reverends (5)
Korean made Reverends (3)
Gretsches (3)
PRSi (7)

Back