Olympics Opening Ceremony

Shawn@PRS

yogi
I just received a heads up from a friend that some PRS guitars will make an appearance during the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics. Tune in and check it out.

That's cool. I've always wondered how you guys feel whenever you spot your guitars here and there. Pride I'm sure, but are you ever surprised by where they turn up, who is playing them, or what type of music they're being used for?

Goldtop

Pride always, but sometimes we never know where a PRS will show up. I don't think any of us knew a PRS would be on the opening ceremonies.

Saw M.O. ! I was stoked for PRS !!! I wondered if the factory employees were there watching and cheering!

article_261e215e66ad27b4_1343421461_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Shawn, it's great to hear that the employees feel that pride.....You all deserve it. I feel a sense of pride simply as an owner/player of PRS Guitars. I think it sounded AMAZING! Even some of my "non-musical" family and friends remarked at how nice that sounded.

Thanks Hans - that confirms that Mike used 2 different PRSi, the Custom 24 in the pic you posted and the 57/08_57/08NF Studio they showed a close up of later.

So glad you guys and girls at the factory were able to catch it. For me, it was only one of the highlights of a great opening ceremony. Well done to artistic director, Danny Boyle.

Last edited:
So glad you guys and girls at the factory were able to catch it. For me, it was only one of the highlights of a great opening ceremony. Well done to artistic director, Danny Boyle.

+1 fantastic show! Was a tough job following Beijing 4 years ago but we did it by doing it our way!

Spotted the PRS, though the non guitr players in the house didn't seem too impressed with my abilities to spot different guitars. hey hoe!

The guitar was sounding sweet though and looked fantastic. Shame about Macca... What happened there?!?

Shawn, it's great to hear that the employees feel that pride.....You all deserve it. I feel a sense of pride simply as an owner/player of PRS Guitars. I think it sounded AMAZING! Even some of my "non-musical" family and friends remarked at how nice that sounded.

Thanks Cave71. The folks at PRS take a tremendous amount of pride in what we do, so it's always exciting to see or hear someone enjoying their PRS guitar or amp. I think the thing that sets us apart from other manufacturers is Paul. His enthusiasm and dedication are contagious and he's an inspiration to the entire crew. Don't get me wrong it's hard work, damn hard work, but it's a great place to be. I encourage everyone to come out to the Experience in September. A few hours at the PRS factory will illustrate the employees commitment better than I ever can.

Thanks Hans - that confirms that Mike used 2 different PRSi...
Actually... no. :(

If you Google "Mike Oldfield Olympics" that's one of the first pics that shows up. Having not seen the actual show, I didn't realize it was from a different performance (in 1999) until it was pointed out.

Actually... no. :(

If you Google "Mike Oldfield Olympics" that's one of the first pics that shows up. Having not seen the actual show, I didn't realize it was from a different performance (in 1999) until it was pointed out.
Yep, I was fooled too - I assumed it was a quick costume change and put the hair difference down to a change of camera angle. Anyway - at least ONE PRS was in use.....and a very nice one at that!

I was watching the opening ceremony with my squeeze. Just as I was saying that it reminded me of an over-hyped Superbowl halftime show, the PRS appeared. That one scene saved what would have otherwise been just another over produced spectacle -just like 90% of the aforementioned halftime shows....

I'm just not seeing the relevance of the gee whiz opening ceremony to the actual athletic games themselves... It's SPORTS, not a show stopping musical....

Last edited:
Back