Older Singlecuts/250's/245's/SC58's/Ted's: Trash or Treasure?

I would say go ted but I've been watching the ted market for over half a year or so and it's mostly bursts and the price doesn't generally sink below 2k unless you go on the GC used page.

Like you said, the listings on GC are often wrong but if you know what you're looking for and are not afraid to exercise the return policy, it's no worries.

Unless you have a lot of patience and maybe learn to like bursts I think you'll end up with a regular 245 or a stripped 58. I'll tell you, I'm a big fan of the bound fretboard so it might be worth the patience.

Keep an eye on this baby:

https://reverb.com/item/5104975-paul-reed-smith-ted-mccarty-singlecut-2009-amber-natural

I would say go ted but I've been watching the ted market for over half a year or so and it's mostly bursts and the price doesn't generally sink below 2k unless you go on the GC used page.

Like you said, the listings on GC are often wrong but if you know what you're looking for and are not afraid to exercise the return policy, it's no worries.

Unless you have a lot of patience and maybe learn to like bursts I think you'll end up with a regular 245 or a stripped 58. I'll tell you, I'm a big fan of the bound fretboard so it might be worth the patience.

Keep an eye on this baby:

https://reverb.com/item/5104975-paul-reed-smith-ted-mccarty-singlecut-2009-amber-natural

Yeah, I snoozed on a slightly beat Ted for $1700-ish... I shoulda taken my head outta my @ss on that one.

Was peeping that earlier today!

I think I just have to be patient, and not get lured in by some other guitar (if that's possible ;) ). There were deals galore the past few months but as soon as I was ready (and started this thread) they've all dried up. I think I really want a Goldtop, and with old school birds. It's basically gonna be a fashion accessory at this point, lord knows I don't need anymore guitars but... you know, you guys understand.

I spotted this bad boy at Righteous Guitars yesterday. They have a couple of black ones, too. Not that I'm trying to enable or anything...

gRTAGsB.jpg
Man, that Z-Wreck head almost stole the shot. That's almost as pretty as a HDXA.

Twice I tried to buy a TOM bridge Singlecut. First the SC58 and then the "new" SC245. Trying them I found them fine but they said nothing to me. One day at Martin Music in Memphis, the guy looked at me and said "let´s try another one" and he brought a NOS SC245 with the wraparound bridge. I didn´t like the one piece bridge, I looked weird to me. "This is not right, it is not correct". I grabbed the guitar and strummed an open chord just for justifying it... and it was like WOW! WTF? It blew my mind. It was exactly what I was looking for but didn´t like the "package". Sadly I let it go.
After that, I spotted other SCs in Nashville, at Carters. I tried them all and it happend the same. The newer ones said nothing to me, and there was another NOS SC245 that blew my mind even more than the first one. "Ok, this is the signal, I´ll take it". It is personal taste, but for me? TREASURE

2130640.jpg

I can't do dots on a SC. For every other PRS I'm totally fine with (and sometimes prefer) them but... It's seriously a prejudicial holdover from Gibson's. I gotta remain diligent.

Huh. I thought you were a dots guy.

So you are against dots because they remind you of Gibson, or because you liked the blocks, parallelograms and trapezoids that Gibson pedals on their singlecuts?

Huh. I thought you were a dots guy.

So you are against dots because they remind you of Gibson, or because you liked the blocks, parallelograms and trapezoids that Gibson pedals on their singlecuts?

I'm an everything guy. It's just that the dots on the SC's kinda remind me of those old Gibson Studio's and Studio Standard's... shallow, I know, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm an everything guy. It's just that the dots on the SC's kinda remind me of those old Gibson Studio's and Studio Standard's... shallow, I know, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ahh gotcha. Well I don't like dots at all (unless its a fender) so I'm probably more shallow.

Back