Oh My DGT

https://www.flickr.com/gp/138747712@N03/btA8KZ
I got a good price on a DGT on reverb this past week. Black painted top with moons, reveal binding, and in excellent condition. Question for the group; Am I crazy for pondering removal of the finish on the back of the neck, going for satin instead?

You can get that finish you desire without removing the existing finish. You can micromesh it. Stewmac sells a kit. There are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube. The nice thing about the micro mesh is you can return it to the original finish. No harm, no foul

Leave your bite mark on it if you desire, personalize it.
BTW, can a solid rosewood neck be considered satin? Or maybe Pure silk?

You can get that finish you desire without removing the existing finish. You can micromesh it. Stewmac sells a kit. There are all kinds of tutorials on YouTube. The nice thing about the micro mesh is you can return it to the original finish. No harm, no foul
You could also try 2000-2500 grit wet and dry , gently of course.

As @bodia says, as long as you leave enough lacquer on the neck, it can be re-polished if you or anyone else wants it high gloss.

congrats on a great choice of a guitar. I will be jamming tonight with a good friend and fine guitarist with a DGT....and it's bloody awesome sounding with his Dr. Z Carmen Ghia....as for sanding the neck of a DGT....? like to others said....no big deal if you don't get crazy with sanding depth....it can be buffed to gloss again....

Not a standard. Haven’t popped the neck pup to see the product code, but the binding reveals the maple. Such a nice finish for a used guitar. Glad I don’t have to “fret” over the grain with this painted top.
5y7n36

If I have the neck done, it will be done by the PTC.

Back