OEM Nut

Petosky

What material is the nut on my SE-Starla made of , to determine if a Tusq nut would be a viable fast upgrade

What material is the nut on my SE-Starla made of , to determine if a Tusq nut would be a viable fast upgrade
I asked Alex at John Mann if the brass infused PRS nuts were available for my SE and was told no.

But that there was a Tusq that would fit.

So get a Tusq.

They're excellent.

I had them on my Taylors and have them on all my Breedlove acoustics and those guitars ring beautifully.

I asked Alex at John Mann if the brass infused PRS nuts were available for my SE and was told no.

But that there was a Tusq that would fit.

So get a Tusq.

They're excellent.

I had them on my Taylors and have them on all my Breedlove acoustics and those guitars ring beautifully.
That may be what he said, but I put the brass infused Core nut on both my SE One and Bernie as a direct drop in. No modification or filing required.

That may be what he said, but I put the brass infused Core nut on both my SE One and Bernie as a direct drop in. No modification or filing required.
Really? I bought a few from PRS and found that they were not as thick as the original nut.

Maybe I could work with the width but because they weren't as thick they exposed unfinished wood previously hidden under the original nut. About 1/32 - 1/16" worth.

I have the Tusqs now. Just going to go with them.

Really? I bought a few from PRS and found that they were not as thick as the original nut.

Maybe I could work with the width but because they weren't as thick they exposed unfinished wood previously hidden under the original nut. About 1/32 - 1/16" worth.

I have the Tusqs now. Just going to go with them.
Now that you mention it, I do recall the small gap between the nut and TRC. Nut worked just fine, though. I thought I might have a picture of the gap from when I did the upgrades, but I can't find any.

Now that you mention it, I do recall the small gap between the nut and TRC. Nut worked just fine, though. I thought I might have a picture of the gap from when I did the upgrades, but I can't find any.
Yeah. It would leave a bare wood, unfinished line between the end of the truss rod cover and back of the nut.

Could be touched up with black lacquer or paint.

But I'd rather use a nut that's the right thickness.

Back