Obvious Tone Tweaks We Sometimes Forget

László

Too Many Notes
Often there are threads that ask things like, “My pickups are too bright, what pickups can I buy that will give me a more mellow tone?” Or, “I’m missing the bite I got with XYZ guitar with ABC pickups in it, what do you recommend?”

“Get these DEF pickups I have, they’re the bomb,” says someone.

“Adjust the pickup height, it’s trial and error but you’ll get there,” is someone else’s suggestion.

Well, sometimes new pickups are a good idea. Often a height adjustment will customize the tone to your liking. But there may be other, very simple things that we sometimes forget about, solutions that might be far easier or cheaper.

Like...strings.

I love the vintage tones I grew up with in the 60s, especially on blues records, but also guys like Hendrix, Page, etc. That’s a ‘tone in my head’ kinda thing.

My 2015 McCarty, with 58/15 pickups, is the guitar I most often pick up to try ideas out. When I got it, I loved everything about it, but wished the pickups were even more vintage-sounding, and were a little thicker on top. See, I still had that ‘tone in my head’ thing going.

Along the way it occurred to me that my favorite sounds were made by folks playing pure nickel wrapped strings, not nickel-plated steel wraps. Nickel plated steel wrapped strings weren’t invented or on the market until1970. Pure nickels sound a bit different, of course! Well, for under ten bucks a pack, why not experiment a little? I’m going to change strings every so often anyway.

So I changed from the PRS/D’Addario nickel plated strings that came with the guitar to D’Addario pure nickels. I liked what happened, especially with my vintage style HXDA amp, the tone was a little thicker and more balanced, but I missed the bite I was getting with the plated ones.

Long story short, I tried a few brands and landed on a pure nickel string that had a little more top end bite, but still had the nice tone balance and upper midrange thickness of the D’Addario pure nickel wraps. The guitar sounded great from the factory, and now sounds even more personalized, “more me.” I was pretty happy about this, and use them on several of my PRSes now. On others, I still like the stock strings.

The cost of this experiment? A few packs of strings that I would have spent the same money on in the normal course of string changes anyway. A lot cheaper than different pickups. A lot less trial-and-error than screwing around adjusting my pickup height (though that’s something to do also if you’re in the mood).

In other words, the most basic, least expensive, least time-consuming change you can make to a guitar, putting new strings on it.

Or...cables.

“These pickups are too bright.” Well, if you’re using, say, George L’s sure, they’re bright cables. Try something else, perhaps. You might not need that pickup swap. And the reverse also applies. “My pickups are too dark” can also be a cable thing, maybe you’re using something like Monster cables that tend to roll off some high frequencies.

The cable from guitar to amp or pedalboard matters. Some take away high end, some take away low end, but because of the effect of capacitance, they all take away something. It’s a matter of “pick your poison.”

The first experiment is to try shorter lengths of whatever you’re using, and see what happens. Bypass the pedalboard (if you use one), plug straight into the amp. You’ll probably find that a shorter cable - ten feet or so - has more treble and takes less away than a longer cable of the same type and brand due to the rolloff of higher frequencies from the increased capacitance of more feet of cable. Shorter is brighter.

Don’t believe it’s true? Try plugging into your amp with a 2 foot length of the same cable and see what happens. I bet you’ll hear more of whatever the guitar is putting out, especially the higher frequencies.

Since all the cables on the market have different capacitance specs, and do slightly different things to your tone, it’s worth trying out a few and seeing what happens. We can always use spare cables, anyway, right? And of course, the preferences can change from guitar to guitar, and amp to amp. I’ve tried quite a few different cables, from hideously expensive to downright cheap, and I’ve got my preferences (they’re somewhere in the middle).

But the bottom line is that the tone is right for my gear and what I like to play. Experiment! It’s fun and educational. ;)

Last edited:
All good points.
Writing lots of strict counterpoint will help with your tone too! ;)

Great advice. For those not finger picking, the choice of pick is a similar cheap experiment that will have a serious impact on your tone.

I have just come across this brand of picks and feel like experimenting with materials...

Also very interesting, I was thinking of experimenting with pure nickel strings. Your description of the effect convinced me I should.

I tried a few brands and landed on a pure nickel string that had a little more top end bite, but still had the nice tone balance and upper midrange thickness of the D’Addario pure nickel wraps.

Don't keep us in suspense~! What brand of pure nickels did you finally decide on for the 58/15 equipped McCarty?

I'll wager he says Sono-Tone.

You guessed it.

“Tell him what he wins, Don Pardo!”

“A brand new bottle of Schmutz Beer, Bob! Yes, this is a new, unopened bottle of everyone’s favorite beer, Schmutz, in its new, up-to-the-minute brown bottle! Cheers, Bodia!”

I went to the Sono-Tone website

http://www.sono-tone.com/products.html

The company reveals nothing about the composition or construction of their strings, just order them on faith at $13 bucks a set. That's a show-stopper for me. And I find it odd that they don't publish a short history of their company, etc. But that's just me...However, you've got me thinking of Pure Nickels now, maybe we can get a deal on some at the Arlington Guitar Show the weekend of the 21st.

Last edited:
I went to the Sono-Tone website

http://www.sono-tone.com/products.html

The company reveals nothing about the composition or construction of their strings, just order them on faith at $13 bucks a set. That's a show-stopper for me.

The very reason I didn’t name the brand I use on the McCarty is that I didn’t want my post to be about brands of strings, I wanted to talk about trying out such simple tone tips as maybe trying a different string brand, or cable.

Name the brand, and suddenly a useful post devolves into a discussion about some company, and other stuff that I don’t care about and is off-point. I didn’t talk about the brand of strings or the brand of cable on purpose.

So I’m sorry I confirmed Bodia’s guess. And I’m nonplussed, because I also still use other brands on some guitars, such as D’Addario and PRS.

I will say this about Sono-Tone. If you look at their website you’ll also see you can’t order from them without a phone call to discuss your needs with a human being. The guy who mostly talks with you is the guy who owns the company. You can ask him about the construction and all the other stuff you’re concerned about.

So they’re a different kind of company. Whether this is a wise or unwise policy isn’t for me to say. I got in touch with them on Kingsley’s recommendation. He knows my tastes generally, and suggested I try them. I did, they worked on a couple of my guitars, done! I don’t change strings often enough that the price difference matters.

+1. So much. Changing strings and playing with pickup height are a lot less sexy than swapping pickups, but if you don't try those things first, you're kinda throwing money into the wind.

As our forum namesake has said many times, pickups are the microphones of the guitar. Now that I'm dabbling in recording, I can see the parallel - when you mic a speaker (or other sound source), and don't care for the sound that first comes out, you don't just go for another mic, you adjust the mic position!

I also think that changing string composition can make a more drastic tonal change than pickups. On two of my PRS guitars, I changed from pure nickel wraps to nickel plated. One guitar, a semi hollow, had a loose and slightly unfocused tone one the wound strings, which the nickel plated strings dialed in perfectly. The other, a Mira Soapbar, has a ton of midrange and not a lot of zing, so nickel plated strings added snap back to that guitar. I also have been playing with the bridge pickup a lot on that guitar, and found a combination that made it more lively sounding, pulling the whole pickup down and bass side back a little more yet, then raising the pole pieces to roughly match the radius, and then the treble side screws raised further yet. A little unorthodox, but it sounds good, and is a night and day difference from where I started before the string change.

I have had some guitars that I broke down and changed pickups on. The ones that Ive been happy with the results on, I tweaked and tinkered and didn't give up until I was convinced that the sounds I wanted just weren't in there, and with the expectation that I wasn't going to change the character of the guitar totally, just fine tune it to work with me and my gear. The one I wasn't as happy with the result on, I didn't put enough effort into adjusting before I just slapped a new pickup in, and it didn't change much.

There are really no rules with this stuff. It all exists in the quagmire of "tone factors" - wood type, density, bridge type, guitar construction, cables, amps, speakers, picks, player (in no particular order).

It’s because I’m old. It’s the only advantage to being old. Sometimes, life teaches one things.
You are quite correct. If you're old and haven't learned anything... it's been a tragic misuse of a perfectly good human body.... lol
I've been on the forum now for about 2 hours and already hear your wisdom being shared with a younger generation. The world needs more people like yourself.
We shall be awaiting your next post with bated breath... :)

I'm 62 and despite the "experts" opinion that your music knowledge slows as you get older I feel I am learning more completely now than when I first started playing. I'll quit when they pry my guitar from my cold dead hands.

Often there are threads that ask things like, “My pickups are too bright, what pickups can I buy that will give me a more mellow tone?” Or, “I’m missing the bite I got with XYZ guitar with ABC pickups in it, what do you recommend?”

“Get these DEF pickups I have, they’re the bomb,” says someone.

“Adjust the pickup height, it’s trial and error but you’ll get there,” is someone else’s suggestion.

Well, sometimes new pickups are a good idea. Often a height adjustment will customize the tone to your liking. But there may be other, very simple things that we sometimes forget about, solutions that might be far easier or cheaper.

Like...strings.

I love the vintage tones I grew up with in the 60s, especially on blues records, but also guys like Hendrix, Page, etc. That’s a ‘tone in my head’ kinda thing.

My 2015 McCarty, with 58/15 pickups, is the guitar I most often pick up to try ideas out. When I got it, I loved everything about it, but wished the pickups were even more vintage-sounding, and were a little thicker on top. See, I still had that ‘tone in my head’ thing going.

Along the way it occurred to me that my favorite sounds were made by folks playing pure nickel wrapped strings, not nickel-plated steel wraps. Nickel plated steel wrapped strings weren’t invented or on the market until1970. Pure nickels sound a bit different, of course! Well, for under ten bucks a pack, why not experiment a little? I’m going to change strings every so often anyway.

So I changed from the PRS/D’Addario nickel plated strings that came with the guitar to D’Addario pure nickels. I liked what happened, especially with my vintage style HXDA amp, the tone was a little thicker and more balanced, but I missed the bite I was getting with the plated ones.

Long story short, I tried a few brands and landed on a pure nickel string that had a little more top end bite, but still had the nice tone balance and upper midrange thickness of the D’Addario pure nickel wraps. The guitar sounded great from the factory, and now sounds even more personalized, “more me.” I was pretty happy about this, and use them on several of my PRSes now. On others, I still like the stock strings.

The cost of this experiment? A few packs of strings that I would have spent the same money on in the normal course of string changes anyway. A lot cheaper than different pickups. A lot less trial-and-error than screwing around adjusting my pickup height (though that’s something to do also if you’re in the mood).

In other words, the most basic, least expensive, least time-consuming change you can make to a guitar, putting new strings on it.

Or...cables.

“These pickups are too bright.” Well, if you’re using, say, George L’s sure, they’re bright cables. Try something else, perhaps. You might not need that pickup swap. And the reverse also applies. “My pickups are too dark” can also be a cable thing, maybe you’re using something like Monster cables that tend to roll off some high frequencies.

The cable from guitar to amp or pedalboard matters. Some take away high end, some take away low end, but because of the effect of capacitance, they all take away something. It’s a matter of “pick your poison.”

The first experiment is to try shorter lengths of whatever you’re using, and see what happens. Bypass the pedalboard (if you use one), plug straight into the amp. You’ll probably find that a shorter cable - ten feet or so - has more treble and takes less away than a longer cable of the same type and brand due to the rolloff of higher frequencies from the increased capacitance of more feet of cable. Shorter is brighter.

Don’t believe it’s true? Try plugging into your amp with a 2 foot length of the same cable and see what happens. I bet you’ll hear more of whatever the guitar is putting out, especially the higher frequencies.

Since all the cables on the market have different capacitance specs, and do slightly different things to your tone, it’s worth trying out a few and seeing what happens. We can always use spare cables, anyway, right? And of course, the preferences can change from guitar to guitar, and amp to amp. I’ve tried quite a few different cables, from hideously expensive to downright cheap, and I’ve got my preferences (they’re somewhere in the middle).

But the bottom line is that the tone is right for my gear and what I like to play. Experiment! It’s fun and educational. ;)

I have been playing pure nickel wrap strings like forever. What I like about the brand I'm using now is when you uncurl them, they are straight. No curl, twist or loop. FWIW.

Back