Obey Me!

Do I have to talk you into this Good Big Amp thing, or can I count on you to Just Do It?

Les...It shall be done...been looking into smaller head/cabinet combinations...we deal Orange and I've been impressed with a couple of those, but the damn Dr Z sounds so good, will probably hold out for the next step up from the Mini Z...but yes, the hunt has begun!!! And I say small as I play bass with others, but jamming in my secret lair is a combo of both gtr and bass...again...this is gonna be great!!

Orange's higher line amps do sound very good, and the Dr. Z amps are also wonderful. You can get hand-wired versions of both (all Dr. Zs are hand-wired), and as you can see via the Z you have, it does matter.

However...if "more is more" I think the PRS amps are more. ;)

Orange's higher line amps do sound very good, and the Dr. Z amps are also wonderful. You can get hand-wired versions of both (all Dr. Zs are hand-wired), and as you can see via the Z you have, it does matter.

However...if "more is more" I think the PRS amps are more. ;)

I was afraid someone would bring PRS Amps up...thanks, Les :tongue: being the creature of habit that I am, (there are probably much better terms for this) , have been concentrating on the Dr Z heads...yep...gonna happen. I love simple, full tone, and the Mini delivers wonderfully.

Having played next to an Orange OR50 w/ matching1x12 cab, I can confirm that there's a similarity to my Super Dallas and matching 1x12 cab. Our other guitarist also plays an all-hog Les Paul Studio, so against my DGT Standard, there's also familiarity. But our pedalboards are completely different. Our playing styles are completely different. And the results are, we sound complimentary, not redundant.

I only throw this analysis out there because few amps have made me think, "hmm" since buying my PRS amp. All of them have been boutique or boutique-ish except for the Orange OR series. Considering how much I love my PRS amp, consider that a real compliment.

LOL no I am a psychotherapist actually ;)

this reminds me of cartoon from Australia's Leunig from 50 years ago.

Boy is lying on couch and says: "I want to be a psycho the rapist"
doctor says "that's psychotherapist"
boy says: "I don't want to be a psychotherapist"

this reminds me of cartoon from Australia's Leunig from 50 years ago.

Boy is lying on couch and says: "I want to be a psycho the rapist"
doctor says "that's psychotherapist"
boy says: "I don't want to be a psychotherapist"

SFX: Cymbal crash!

Tobias-Funke-Analrapist.png

He's an analyst/therapist - an analrapist!

The amp is more important. You can have an OK amp and a great guitar and get an OK sound. But if you have a great amp and an ok guitar, the sound you get will more than likely be great still.

The amp is more important. You can have an OK amp and a great guitar and get an OK sound. But if you have a great amp and an ok guitar, the sound you get will more than likely be great still.

Yes, definitely.

Then add in a great guitar to a great amp, and boom! Even better. Good taste in amps, BTW!

Yes, definitely.

Then add in a great guitar to a great amp, and boom! Even better. Good taste in amps, BTW!
Huge +1! It took me years to get that thru my thick skull. Now, one of my favs is my FrankenStrat run clean thru the Klon and Flint into SuperD. I'm getting star struck thinking about it.

Just remember, if you have a great PA with great monitors, it doesn't matter the size of the amp. We have neither, so I compensate with power. Walk softly and load-in a big amplifier. :biggrin:

Just remember, if you have a great PA with great monitors, it doesn't matter the size of the amp.

It matters. Granted with a good PA you'll hear the amp either way, but the tone of the amp itself will usually be different.

There's another way it matters, but it has nothing to do with tone, and I'm a little reluctant to even express it, but here goes:

If you're putting on a show, it can be a low-key affair, or an opportunity to do some profiling, etc., but in any case the operative word is "show." If the show part is a big part of the band, the look of the backline may indeed play a role. Some bands need a wall o' amp stacks, some bands need to look all Texas vintage, or country, or whatever. An awful lot of bands employ stacks and don't even plug some of the speakers into an amp.

The amps may not play into the band look at all.

So this is going to vary, but it may be important in some cases.

It matters. Granted with a good PA you'll hear the amp either way, but the tone of the amp itself will usually be different..
I'd venture a guess that any amp, big or small, is going to sound different because of the variables out of your control...room acoustics, engineer (their 'ear', ability to properly tune an SM57, how much they had to drink the night before, etc.), et al. But if you like how you sound thru a Fender Champ cranked, that's what you like. If you prefer a Boogie MkIII Colosseum, that's what you like. The audience can't stand exactly where you are playing, so what they hear will always be different from what you hear. In a perfect world with perfect PA and monitors, it would be a better representation of your sound to someone in the back of the room than if you self amplify, right? That was my only point.

Don't forget, I haven't had my guitar run thru a PA in 5 years. I don't remember how that sounds anymore.

I'd venture a guess that any amp, big or small, is going to sound different because of the variables out of your control...room acoustics, engineer (their 'ear', ability to properly tune an SM57, how much they had to drink the night before, etc.), et al.

I meant that the tone of the small amp would be different from the tone of the big amp, wasn't addressing the question of SR variables, but you do make a good point!

Back