NUGDs

In my observation the difference between a 10 top, artist grade, and private stock is kind of subjective. A 10 top means it is fully figured across the entire top with no dead spots and the rest is up to what someone thinks is a more or less attractive figure. It's kind of like a Miss Universe contest, they're all attractive but which ones are the most attractive depends on who you ask.

That being said, all 3 of those are pretty sweet :)

Totally agree on this. To my eyes, a thin, tight flame like you see on this 594 and on the 594 pic on the PRS page is more compelling than a wider flame that doesn’t carry from end to end. But some folks go nuts for those more characterful tops. What’s great about this Santana’s top, to me, is that it has both regularity and character—the holy grail, though it’s far from alone in this, to judge by all the great shots you see on this forum and others!

Best of all, all three of these guitars are keepers in terms of sonics and playability. I’d have saved a boatload in experimentation over the past decade if I’d discovered them earlier.

I’m curious that no one’s called out the DGT in the looks department. To my eyes, the only DGTs I found online that could beat it for aesthetics were a few PSs at 4 times the cost. Then again, I’m in the honeymoon phase with this one and am positively blown away by its ability to cover clean to grind, and all steps in between! (If this is what a Korina neck can help do, I’ll defintely be looking for one in the future.)

Just realized that the 594 pic above, which I got from the seller, is not of mine but another very early one. Here’s mine:

kUBuM0V.jpg

That cross grain look you see on the bottom half in the pic is just killer.

I like that, Guitpicky. I gather it's a Honey Burst but Hot Caramel works for me!

Thanks for the kind words, all. I’m very happy with these three and am finding that, despite the sonic family resemblance, each has its own thing going. I have to take a break from the acquisition thing but am already thinking what the next bigger neck one would be.

Back