Not much Love for \m/ Metal Pickups?

I love the \m/ bridge pickup. Have it in 2 guitars. I have a neck pickup but am not dissatisfied with my current pairings with a 5909 neck and 5708 neck, so I haven't even tried it yet. Both mine are uncovered as I just prefer uncovered in general and I like the squabbin look. Not sure why PRS only offers a covered version other than to streamline and not end up with unused stock sitting around. I think this pickup was really just marketed to those already in the PRS camp. Most folks not in the PRS camp are not going to be looking for pickups here if they don't already play PRS guitars. There's a ton of boutique pickup makers that are non guitar brand specific and that's where most go. I think the \m/ pickup was just designed to appeal to us here that want a hotter pickup since most of the new pickups are in the PAF/vintage vein. While the \m/ is plenty modern, it's also EXTREMELY versatile and dynamic. Works for damn near anything IMHO.

Both mine are uncovered as I just prefer uncovered in general and I like the squabbin look.

Love the squabbins too! And I have a tendency to go form over function.
I can do covered though depending on the guitar look/type. Just not a fan of traditional bobbins anymore.

While the \m/ is plenty modern, it's also EXTREMELY versatile and dynamic. Works for damn near anything IMHO.

Have to agree. very versatile.

I love the \m/ pickups! I ordered them for my CU24 Artist (rosewood neck, Brazzy board, hybrid hardware and a 3-way toggle instead of the blade) that I received a year ago, they're uncovered. Punchy, full bodied, and loud, just what I wanted for this guitar. I play lots of different types of music, but my first love is hard rock and metal. The \m/ pickups sound to me like 59-09s on steroids (and I love the 5909s), love'em! I've got other CU24s with 59-09s and a CE24 with the 85-15s, they all work well for me.

I love the \m/ pickups! I ordered them for my CU24 Artist (rosewood neck, Brazzy board, hybrid hardware and a 3-way toggle instead of the blade) that I received a year ago, they're uncovered. Punchy, full bodied, and loud, just what I wanted for this guitar. I play lots of different types of music, but my first love is hard rock and metal. The \m/ pickups sound to me like 59-09s on steroids (and I love the 5909s), love'em! I've got other CU24s with 59-09s and a CE24 with the 85-15s, they all work well for me.

Sweet!
So you can order 3-way (w/push-pull split?) on CU24? Only when you go Artist? I'd prefer that to the 5-way blade. and a rosewood neck would be on my wish list too.

I put a covered set in my Santana. It is a powerful guitar. Powerful.
Oh wow, perfect look with covered pups on that.
I'm pretty happy with the Santanas on mine.
What happened to your old Santanas?

I think the name of these pickups might make people think they are only for one style of music regretfully. There has been discussions about this before and even Shawn I believe has said this before that the \m/ pickups are very versatile. I have covered one in my PS and uncovered in my Quattro and 20th anniversary standard 24. These pickups clean up very nicely to provide a very nice clear tone that isn't very high end sizzle. When distortion or overdrive is thrown in they just sore. I love my \m/ pickups and wouldn't change them for anything

I put a set in my old CE22, I mainly use it tuned half a step down and it sounds incredible, so much better than the dragon ii that were in there originally.
My only issue with them is the volume difference between the treble and the bass pickups. not that the bass is quiet but the treble is really loud. that said they are really super versatile I play anything from slight crunchy bluesy kind of stuff all the way to some pretty extreme metal. I would highly recommend them and would happily put them in another one of my guitars.

Well, all this love convinced me. I've got a set on the way. Now to figure out what they're going in.

Looking forward to your sound report.
Let me know if you're permanently replacing covered Santanas and need a new home for them.

Looking forward to your sound report.
Let me know if you're permanently replacing covered Santanas and need a new home for them.

That is most likely going to be the case. PM me, and we can set something up.

Up until a few weeks ago, I had the covered \m/ in the bridge of my DGT and it did a decent job for awhile but I decided to put the original Grissom Treble back in (It had a 59/09 in the bridge when I got her and really didn't care for it). I honestly like the way the Grissom pups sound through my Dual Rectifier compared to the \m/. They just sound fuller and have more dynamics to them, IMO.

I love the \m/ bridge pickup. Have it in 2 guitars. I have a neck pickup but am not dissatisfied with my current pairings with a 5909 neck and 5708 neck, so I haven't even tried it yet. Both mine are uncovered as I just prefer uncovered in general and I like the squabbin look. Not sure why PRS only offers a covered version other than to streamline and not end up with unused stock sitting around. I think this pickup was really just marketed to those already in the PRS camp. Most folks not in the PRS camp are not going to be looking for pickups here if they don't already play PRS guitars. There's a ton of boutique pickup makers that are non guitar brand specific and that's where most go. I think the \m/ pickup was just designed to appeal to us here that want a hotter pickup since most of the new pickups are in the PAF/vintage vein. While the \m/ is plenty modern, it's also EXTREMELY versatile and dynamic. Works for damn near anything IMHO.

How do the \m/'s sound split?

How do the \m/'s sound split?
Since still don't have a \m/ neck installed:confused:, I can't really say. I rarely tap my bridge pickup unless we have an extended, trippy improv jam at rehearsal and I'm in exploration mode. That often involves a bunch of effects as well. I tap my neck pickups a lot more. My plan is to install the \m/ neck pickup in my McStd so I have a full set in that guitar soon. Once I finish my purge and my music room is a little more tolerable to be in...:D

How would you compare it to some of the standards: Super Distortion, Duncan Distortion, Duncan Custom, etc?

Since still don't have a \m/ neck installed:confused:, I can't really say. I rarely tap my bridge pickup unless we have an extended, trippy improv jam at rehearsal and I'm in exploration mode. That often involves a bunch of effects as well. I tap my neck pickups a lot more. My plan is to install the \m/ neck pickup in my McStd so I have a full set in that guitar soon. Once I finish my purge and my music room is a little more tolerable to be in...:D

I think they're worth splitting.

Thanks guys. I ordered a Freeway switch for an upcoming project. Just found out that I can't do what I was intending without operating on some pick ups. Not willing to risk it. So, the \m/'s that still haven't made their way into a Santana may get the Freeway switch, and split.

How would you compare it to some of the standards: Super Distortion, Duncan Distortion, Duncan Custom, etc?
Never had a Duncan D. Had a custom 5(different mags than the m)- I'd say the m is more aggressive but maybe a little more dynamic with volume knob changes? Super D has a little less definition than the m, maybe a tad smoother in the mids. I think the m might cut a little more in a band mix. M again is better working the volume knob. It's been a long time since I've had those pickups though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Any of you guys using these with Dgt switching? I want to put mine in my dc245 private stock with Dgt controls. The 59/09s in there now have a braided wire and one long white wire coming from the pickup. The \m/ pickups I have have a long grey casing with white/red/black wires inside. Will these work? I am having a hard time mentally matching up what needs to be done.

Back