Not much Love for \m/ Metal Pickups?

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
Trying to find opinions on the \m/ pickups, but coming up fairly blank in the forum search...

Just threw a set of (uncovered so no visual impact) metals in the '16 CE24 Satin to replace the 85/15 set. I like the fuller sound of the metals and I don't feel like they're 'overboard modern' or 'for metal only'. Just punchier, louder, and fuller. 85/15 set was nice. Very defined and clear, but in the end just too thin for me.

The metals seem to get pigeon-holed too easily to only that genre, what's your take on them?

Seems like I've read only positive things about them around here. I've never played anything that had them in it. I'd like to try a set one of these days though.

Seems like I've read only positive things about them around here. I've never played anything that had them in it. I'd like to try a set one of these days though.

Good to hear. I just haven't found much about them. Good or bad. Except a few YouTube vids, which where all positive.

I think they're victims of a few things...

1) Only PRS guys are probably interested in them, and a lot of people don't play PRS,
2) There's few opportunities to play test them as they've only ever been offered on the Custom 24 Floyd,
3) The stock option is covered*. How many metal guys are using covered pickups?

Its like they wanted this pickup to sell poorly.

IMO, they should make the uncovered version a stock option on the Cu-24, 22 and SC (without needing to pay for an artist package). You want classic, you get 85/15s. You want modern, you get an 85/15 neck and a \m/ bridge.

* I know you can buy uncovered \M/ through certain retailers, but IMO the average person reading the PRS website doesn't.

I think they're victims of a few things...

1) Only PRS guys are probably interested in them, and a lot of people don't play PRS,
2) There's few opportunities to play test them as they've only ever been offered on the Custom 24 Floyd,
3) The stock option is covered*. How many metal guys are using covered pickups?

Its like they wanted this pickup to sell poorly.

IMO, they should make the uncovered version a stock option on the Cu-24, 22 and SC (without needing to pay for an artist package). You want classic, you get 85/15s. You want modern, you get an 85/15 neck and a \m/ bridge.

* I know you can buy uncovered \M/ through certain retailers, but IMO the average person reading the PRS website doesn't.

Totally agree about the covers. I found new uncovered ones through Reverb.

November could be your lucky day...

Trying to find opinions on the \m/ pickups, but coming up fairly blank in the forum search...

Just threw a set of (uncovered so no visual impact) metals in the '16 CE24 Satin to replace the 85/15 set. I like the fuller sound of the metals and I don't feel like they're 'overboard modern' or 'for metal only'. Just punchier, louder, and fuller. 85/15 set was nice. Very defined and clear, but in the end just too thin for me.

The metals seem to get pigeon-holed too easily to only that genre, what's your take on them?

I have uncovered \m/s in my PS. I love them. They can actually cover a lot of territory, and I've used mine for recording a bunch of different types of stuff.

You bring in' your PS to Chicago? Or inviting me to the Steel City for IC's and a Steeler's game?

Aren't you visiting for the game Thanksgiving weekend? Or did my wife hook the TENS machine up to my head while I was sleeping again?

Aren't you visiting for the game Thanksgiving weekend? Or did my wife hook the TENS machine up to my head while I was sleeping again?

Oh, I'd like to be there then. I haven't convinced the Mrs to ditch her family for T-Day for the game yet. She's a big enough Packer fan that it shouldn't be an issue. Her first NFL game was Monday night game at 3 Rivers in '98? She had on her Packer gear, with no fear. Great time. It was our 10th anniversary.

Good point. Difficult to try them in a guitar. Only video tone demos to go on. High resistance specs if I remember correctly. I want to like them but these days I look to the amp to provide the gain.

Oh, I'd like to be there then. I haven't convinced the Mrs to ditch her family for T-Day for the game yet. She's a big enough Packer fan that it shouldn't be an issue. Her first NFL game was Monday night game at 3 Rivers in '98? She had on her Packer gear, with no fear. Great time. It was our 10th anniversary.

Well, I should be here...

My first NFL game was at Three Rivers, around the same time. Monday night game against Atlanta, I think. Only other game was at the new stadium against Detroit.

Tell her I said her family hasn't impressed me enough for a holiday visit. Sure, I don't know 'em, but...

Well, I should be here...

My first NFL game was at Three Rivers, around the same time. Monday night game against Atlanta, I think. Only other game was at the new stadium against Detroit.

Tell her I said her family hasn't impressed me enough for a holiday visit. Sure, I don't know 'em, but...

You don't need to know 'em. We've been married almost 29 years. Most of her siblings are cool. The brother, a mechanical engineer, that retired from Harley is cool, and a couple of others are as well. However, the one that has the family gatherings, is Cliff Clavin. Beyond annoying. I'd rather be anywhere else. There's still hope....

I had M pickups in my Mccarty for a while. I was using it for detuned stuff. They work well and sound nice but to be honest, the vintage voiced prs pickups have me hooked. I had two sets of Ms and sold them both.

Out of curiosity....

How do the \m/ compare to the HFS/VB?

(I'm pretty sure I asked this before, but have no recollection of the answer)

I play hard rock and metal and like covered pickups :(

On a serious note, I really want to find either an older Core Starla stoptail or an S2 Singlecut Standard, in Seafoam Green, and put some \m/ pickups in it.

Out of curiosity....

How do the \m/ compare to the HFS/VB?

(I'm pretty sure I asked this before, but have no recollection of the answer)

This is not quite apples to apples but here goes:
HFS/VB in '17 Custom 22 SE with PRS 9's (all US parts except tuners)
Uncovered \m/ in '16 CE Standard Satin with PRS 10's
Both with MannMade Trem.

Same amp settings, so each could obviously be further optimized.

HFS is very comparable, but the \m/ still has a bit more punch. Leaning towards \m/, but that could be string gauge or even body/neck wood.
VB is darker and boomier especially on lower strings. Almost too much of that neck pup sound. Could be 22 vs 24 fret neck position. I prefer the \m/, but can live with the VB. Especially since you can EQ/Amp set to compensate.

Overall the \m/ pups feel a bit more balanced.
Covered \m/ might have a slightly different ring. I am guessing it takes out some highs which would still be ok IMO. They ring pretty clear.

Might come back and edit after some direct A/B...

I play hard rock and metal and like covered pickups :(

On a serious note, I really want to find either an older Core Starla stoptail or an S2 Singlecut Standard, in Seafoam Green, and put some \m/ pickups in it.

... perfect that the \m/ in the PRS store are covered by default. Uncovered are out there available at some dealers... I think you'd like the \m/.

I have a set I am dying to put into something..... this thread is helping to fuel the fire.
yeah, I was actually going to put mine into a '90 Yamaha RGX, but it's at my parents' house... on another continent. I'm glad I tried them on the CE. They work perfect (for me). The maple neck probably helps, seeing that the Cu24 Floyd has maple.

Go heat up your soldering iron!

Back