Noisy/scratchy 3-way switch CE24 SH

neillkamman

Hi All,
Likely asked and answered previously, but I could not find it. I have a new CE24 semi, about 6 months old. Love it. My issue is that in the middle position, the 3-way is super finicky. It can easily begin to make a lot of amp noise, as if it has an intermittency. This is not an issue in the bridge or neck position, an the issue persists tap on or off. And if I give the switch a light tap, it will go away. So it's the switch. Particularly annoying during live sets, not that anyone gets to do that these days.

Previously, I hit it with some electronic parts cleaner, and that did the trick, but it is crept back. Is there some trick or tweak I could make to the switch, do I need a replacement switch, or do I keep hitting it with cleaner every occasionally? The latter option is a little undesirable. Help?

I’ve used contact cleaner on pots and switches but those were on old guitars that haven’t been played in a while. Once the dirt/dust got worked out, the noise was gone.
This doesn’t sound like the same issue you’re having. The switch connects to both pickups so if there no issues with the neck position or bridge position it’s not likely to be a wiring/soldering problem. I would assume the problem is within switch itself.
I’m not a luthier, I’m more of a DIY guy. I would just replace the switch. It’s a 3-way toggle with 4 wires.

Back