NGDs Content

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by gman1951, Jun 18, 2017.

1. gman1951

gman1951 New Member

It's been a while since I've had a PRS in the stable, and now I have two (back to normal, retroactively speaking). I have serious regrets about selling a '92 Custom 24 with a TOM bridge several years ago (in fact, I would love the opportunity to buy it back!) and have since been on a quest that recently culminated with my arriving firmly back in the PRS camp (and wondering why I ever left). At any rate, I recently had the opportunity to pick up a very Minty '94 Custom 24 Studio and a near Mint 25th Anniversary and felt the need to share. Thanks in advance for indulging me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 gman1951, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump New Member

What a nice pair! I can relate to wondering why you ever left.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  3. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

Great pair, both with the right controls.
    The orange one is especially nice. I don't think I noticed that colour in '94.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  4. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Spectacular!

5. RevBillyG

RevBillyG New Member

Nice looking guitars.

What is it about your previous CU24 do you miss most? Does your new one fill that void? If you could trade those single coils for a TOM, would you? Do you prefer the 5 way rotary?

They're both sweet looking guitars, but damn... that 25th Anni is hawt.

6. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

Bangin'!

So in love with the Studio.

7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Congrats! A couple of nice ways to re-enter the fold! Love the orange on the Studio!

8. gman1951

gman1951 New Member

Thanks guys (and gals?) for all the happy thoughts! Feels like I'm home at last!

Agreed regarding the controls! I've had a CU24 with the 5-position blade switch and, while I do like its ease of selection, I much prefer look of the 3-knob PRSs.

Foolish and irresistible GAS induced frenzy! Now I know better!

1) I really miss the TOM bridge. I'm very much a "hardtail" kind of guy. Don't use the "whammy bar" much and I like the tuning stability of the TOM bridge (and the look).
    2) The Studio does a pretty good job of "filling the void" for the TOM. I've been GASsing for one of these for years, but they were always either out of my price range, or the timing was not right. Everything just fell into place with this one!
    3) Hmmmm, that's a tough one! Right now, I'm still enjoying the "newness" of the Studio; let me consider this question in a few months :).
    4) I've had both and I actually like the 5-position blade switch a bit more, but I've played the rotary switch for so many years on other PRSs I've had, I'm totally OK with it. Much prefer the ease of selection with the 5-way rather than the 3-position with coil-taps. Just too much to think about when I'm performing.

I sold a Gibson Les Paul Standard HP Blondburst and a Suhr Modern Pro, both incredible guitars in their own right, in what amounted to an equal cost-exchange for these beauties. I just missed the ease of playing the Wide-Thin neck, the 24 frets, the ease of access, basically everything that defines Custom 24s as opposed to other options out there.

RevBillyG likes this.
  9. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

Dude great looking guitars! LOVE that Studio!

10. watelessness

watelessness New Member

11. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

I find that if you put all the springs on and then adjust the claw to your desired action, the PRS bridge becomes super stable. The whammy action becomes pretty stiff this way, granted, but it's so best of both worlds with the tremolo bloom on your cowboy chords and the reduced wander on bends.

RevBillyG likes this.
  12. gman1951

gman1951 New Member

Yeah, the Studio is my new Queen Bee!

Thanks for the insight; I'll check it out. Of all the PRS Custom 24s I've had, only one did not have the hardtail option (which made it hard to find Custom 24s to fit my specs).

13. Iceman101

Iceman101 There's always room for one more.....

Studio is wicked . Congrats

14. RevBillyG

RevBillyG New Member

Agreed, except the blade switch just don't look right to me. Mini toggles are the way to go.

15. gman1951

gman1951 New Member

I agree! A guitar should have At Least 3 knobs!