NGD - Vela RL (reclaimed limited)

xjbebop

Yippy ki yay...
I've already posted this in the appropriate threads, but am starting this separate thread to gather opinions of some personal touches.
The day after these were announced, I placed my order with Sweetwater, and it finally arrived Thursday.
Within a few weeks of the announcement, more and more photos of finished instruments were showing up. One day, for some reason, I decided the plain black pick guard was just not complimenting the fabulous woods used on these, and felt a tortoise shell P/G would be better, so I ordered one from PRS.
I also went ahead and ordered some ebony tuner buttons and have had these items waiting for my guitar to arrive.
So after swapping out the P/G yesterday, I'm not so sure if I like it better or not...it really changes the look of the guitar! On one hand, it somewhat detracts attention from the wood details. On the other, it does somewhat blend and warm the overall top. Hmmm...???
It'll be easy enough to change back if I decide to, but I'm gonna let it soak in for a few days before I decide.
I thought it would be fun to show the difference here and see what your opinions are, so please feel free to share your thoughts!
I'm also interested to hear if these guitars settle in after lots of play time?? I don't think the old wood is used to being a guitar yet (it's DOM is 9/5/17), and it's voice is very tight & bright. If you've had one for at least a few months already, have you noticed any changes in the tone? I suspect they'll mellow a bit with age & playing... I expect it to just keep getting better.

Stock Form:

zM87BIX.jpg

Vny7pKi.jpg

"personal touches" installed...

hGQ4zWX.jpg

dv6LLec.jpg

Lovely guitar. I think the tort looks okay but much prefer the plain black. Did you change the TRC too or is it just how the light caught it?

The demos that I have heard of this range sounded quite bright to me. Maybe this is a common trait. Does it trouble you at all? Are you able to tame it with the treble pot?

Edit: Long ago I bought a new classical guitar. It was not cheap, but it sounded ever so tight. At the time of purchase I convinced myself it would open up in time and the more I played it. Had it years and it never changed. Had to part with it eventually.

Last edited:
I prefer the black guard, personally...because it matches the nut, TRC, knobs, and backdrop of the neck pup...and they all tie in, together.

That said. It's YOUR stunning RL Vela. If you dig the tortoise shell, run with It!

Either way, the Vela is 28 twisted kinds of awesome. Love the 'worn wood top on it.

If it’s to bright you might try lowering the pickups. As for the pickguard, I suspect the tortoise would look better indoors without the sun shining on it. I prefer the original. Keep the ebony tuners.

I'm tempted to order the Pearloid too. Just for sh!ts n giggles. If it's hideous, I guess I'd have to track down a black satin Vela......

I think the change is nice , I used to have a few Strats that I would change pickguards on from time to time just to change up the look :)

I've already posted this in the appropriate threads, but am starting this separate thread to gather opinions of some personal touches.
The day after these were announced, I placed my order with Sweetwater, and it finally arrived Thursday.
Within a few weeks of the announcement, more and more photos of finished instruments were showing up. One day, for some reason, I decided the plain black pick guard was just not complimenting the fabulous woods used on these, and felt a tortoise shell P/G would be better, so I ordered one from PRS.
I also went ahead and ordered some ebony tuner buttons and have had these items waiting for my guitar to arrive.
So after swapping out the P/G yesterday, I'm not so sure if I like it better or not...it really changes the look of the guitar! On one hand, it somewhat detracts attention from the wood details. On the other, it does somewhat blend and warm the overall top. Hmmm...???
It'll be easy enough to change back if I decide to, but I'm gonna let it soak in for a few days before I decide.
I thought it would be fun to show the difference here and see what your opinions are, so please feel free to share your thoughts!
I'm also interested to hear if these guitars settle in after lots of play time?? I don't think the old wood is used to being a guitar yet (it's DOM is 9/5/17), and it's voice is very tight & bright. If you've had one for at least a few months already, have you noticed any changes in the tone? I suspect they'll mellow a bit with age & playing... I expect it to just keep getting better.

Stock Form:

zM87BIX.jpg

Vny7pKi.jpg

"personal touches" installed...

hGQ4zWX.jpg

dv6LLec.jpg
Much better than the black IMO

Hmm, like any handsome man / beautiful woman, changing one set of nice looking clothes for another does change the look, but doesn't necessarily look better or worse. I think the changes you made to your Vela look great, but I think each of those items look great in stock form.

e.g.
Stock chrome tuner buttons: match nicely with bridge pickup and neck pickup edges
Ebony Tuner buttons: match the TRC, tops of tuners, and center of neck pickup, and pick-guard if still stock

I appreciate and enjoy all the comments & opinions!
"Mi Casa" and I are getting along just fine now as is... But this thread has given me a few more ideas... ;)
I'll have more pics to post soon, but in the meantime, here are a few gut shots...

NkkERqd.jpg

CZzmExc.jpg

The Starla bridge pickup is one of, if not the, brightest of PRS pickups, according to the man himself. I would look at changing that if adjusting the stock one doesn't get you there.

The Starla bridge pickup is one of, if not the, brightest of PRS pickups, according to the man himself. I would look at changing that if adjusting the stock one doesn't get you there.
Already did that with my first Vela...
Gonna spend more time with this one... see what all it can do

That black pickguard looks cool and is 100% business, and the tortoise looks cool and is 100% vibe.

Already did that with my first Vela...
Gonna spend more time with this one... see what all it can do
It should surprise you. The tone control works very well and darkens to a sweet spot at about 3, for me. With the band this brightness is less noticeable.

Back