NGD! This is the one I waited 19 years for

cjmwrx

Wheels
NGD! This is the one I waited 20 years for

Back in late 1992 I saw a Whale Blue Quilt top CU22 when they were first released in a Guitar World Magazine. At the time, I was 17 and on the way to college, and this was WAAY out of reach back then. Needless to say, I was in love. Whale Blue Quilt top, with a black back. I've wanted one ever since.

Fast forward to now (ugh, 20 years!) and I have been looking for one just like this. I could've just had one built for me, or ordered one from GC, but I love the chase.

On Saturday, I was browsing the used PRSi on GC online within 250 miles of my house (something I do with regularity), and there it was. In Brookfield, WI., a 2008 Whale Blue quilt top CU22 with a black back, and birds. 206 miles away. I had to have it. A friend of mine is the Sales Manager at that particular store, so I gave him a ring. Although I would be taking a hit, I offered my 25th CU24 in even trade, and was accepted.

Pulled up the map for the 3 hour drive to suburban Milwaukee, and the the CU24 in the back of the car.

Upon arrival, the guitar was in horrible setup, and the fretboard was bone dry. Frets were all kinds of cruddy. Even in this condition, I could tell it was it. A little TLC and some Dr. Ducks' would take care of that. Only one ding on the body. Headstock is perfect, no dings. Gave my buddy the nod, and the trade was finalized. Off to lunch at Kopp's (if you are ever in Milwaukee, you have to eat here, some of the best burgers in town). Dropped off my buddy at GC, and back to Central Illinois I went.

The return trip was not the safest in the world. A BAD case of getthereitis (as I am sure you can imagine), case open in the back of the car, and me swerving all over the road because I keep rubber necking to stare at my new baby @ 85 mph.I did make it home in 2.5 hours though.

Threw it immediately on the table. Polished the frets with some 0000 Steel Wool, lightly buffed the fretboard, and nourished the fretboard with some Dr. Ducks'. Threw some fresh strings on her, tuned to pitch and adjusted the neck. Set the stopbar height and started intonation. I was a bit worried about the wraparound stop tail and intonation, as I have never owned one before, but after a few twists with an Allen key, intonation set nuts on. Really impressed. Ripped the 5 way out, and put in my extra 3-way drop in.

Warmed up the Roadster and plugged in. Started off with a cover of Foo Fighters "White Limo" through my TS808 and was just BLOWN AWAY! The Dragon IIs sound amazing. Fat with LOADS of clarity and no muddiness.

Flipped clean and re-tuned to Open Page and gave "The Rain Song" a whirl. Such articulation in the cleans. This thing is just amazing. It's exactly what I wanted, and I have ZERO desire to change anything on it.

P8272743.jpg

P8272742.jpg

P8272737.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a pic of a blue quilt on eBay once that was like you were looking into a very deep but clear swimming pool. I have wanted one like that ever since...

<---- my 12 string comes close

Good story... and a cool guitar!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have not put it down since i got it. Every break (host reboots, vmotions, LUN Provisions etc..) I have it in my hands. I have not gotten to sleep before 3 since I picked it up. I just can't stop playing it.

Back