NGD - The joys of live gigs and a expected gift

Okay so a little update.

First gig of our tour last night - this tour sees us doing 32 shows in 39 days ending on August bank holiday sunday. So how did it go you ask? Generally another great gig, we've doing this as a unit since 1986 with only having to replace the singer 1987 after his splitup with our drummer - he only got the job because of his relationship with her so it wasn't a great loss :p, then in mid 1988 we added a keyboard player who was a trainee soundengineer at our local recording studio (Strawberry Studios in Stockport - owned by Graham Gould of 10cc) so by now we all know know to play each others parts and have done so a few times in the parts (a point which is lucky for us as it would turn out).

I spent most of time since sunday morning till yeasterday working out the set list and just trying to find a comfortable way to hold the guitar and if I could still perform certain things. yesterday morning comes and its time to make our way to the gig, way early so we can visit the bassists sister who lives just round the corner - shes a nurse who said she had something that could help me, she show me the back brace and tries to put it me OUCH no F*****g way is that gonna work, she then says have I actually tried playing in standing position even with these lighter guitars. She our lead guitarist go out to his car and brings in my two se's. I standard there like a victorian lady waiting to be dressed while Steve gently slides the guitar over my shoulder, The sound that came out of my mouth was probably closer to a howl and a scream, no way am I going to be able to stand and perform to 2 hours + few the next 2 weeks at least.

So what to do, we can't cancel and I was determined that I wasn't sitting on a stool every night (and yes I know it worked for Jeff Healey). I think I only managed on saturday because of the amount adrenaline running through my body.

So we decided to have a game of switch around =
Keith = Vocals, acoustic guitar on some tracks - position unchanged
Steve = Lead Guitar, backing vocals - position unchanged
Elaine = Drums, Vocals - position unchanged
Nathan = Bass, backing vocals - moves over to rythm guitar
Ben = keyboard player, backing vocals - moves over to bass guitar
John (me) = Rythm / Slide guitar, harmony vocals - moves over to keyboards

I'm actually a classically trained pianist have started lession at 3 years old and was one offered a position with the Halle orchestra, during the year of the band I'd switch between keyboard during the show until we recruited Ben, then I could just concentrate on my guitar parts. I actuall still right all my compositions - be it personal use or for the band on a electric piano

Ben uses a seat that is actually slopped at 45 dregrees, so while he's actually stood up he's still resting his body(a similar idea is found is some bus stops and train stations here in the UK. This meant that I could stand and play the keyboard parts without feeling anymore (than usual) pain.

Like I said the the gig went great and the change around really recharged the band (the joke being we were thinking of calling it a day at the end this tour) now the band want to change around again have Elaine do at least a few sets as vocalist and Keith playing drums (he plays drums in his local pub band, when he's free)

I hadn't thought about Elaine on vocals, shes got a fantastic voice but all our songs are typical male singing to or about females but I guess in these days of LGBTQ I guess it should work. She's currently beside me going over the set list working out which ones can be changed to girl/boy and which could be girl/girl. we have a show tonight
but thats gonna be last nights lineup then we'll unleash Elaine on Friday to a unsuspecting crowd (it stood be fun, she's 5' 1" and is the spitting image of WWE wrestler Nikki Cross) With a voice that can sing anything from 60's soul through to the like of Slipknot so our set list is a breeze for her. I actually get her to sing on any demos that I'm pitching to other artists

Last edited:
Ok +100 points for playing with cracked/broken ribs. I had a few cracked ribs when I was in my early thirties - unless things have changed all they can do is wrap the area an tell you to rest. You’re a beast +a million points for “the show must go on.”

** Edit - I didn’t read the update before posting - the light guitar part isn’t relevant, but it’ll help as you recover I’m sure. **

I’m glad you got a light guitar - the Bernie I played was LP heavy. The club owner/brother-in-law is a real mensch to do that.
Good luck on the tour , and don’t eat too many painkillers, we’ve all heard some of those results

Last edited:
Okay so a little update.

First gig of our tour last night - this tour sees us doing 32 shows in 39 days ending on August bank holiday sunday. So how did it go you ask? Generally another great gig, we've doing this as a unit since 1986 with only having to replace the singer 1987 after his splitup with our drummer - he only got the job because of his relationship with her so it wasn't a great loss :p, then in mid 1988 we added a keyboard player who was a trainee soundengineer at our local recording studio (Strawberry Studios in Stockport - owned by Graham Gould of 10cc) so by now we all know know to play each others parts and have done so a few times in the parts (a point which is lucky for us as it would turn out).

I spent most of time since sunday morning till yeasterday working out the set list and just trying to find a comfortable way to hold the guitar and if I could still perform certain things. yesterday morning comes and its time to make our way to the gig, way early so we can visit the bassists sister who lives just round the corner - shes a nurse who said she had something that could help me, she show me the back brace and tries to put it me OUCH no F*****g way is that gonna work, she then says have I actually tried playing in standing position even with these lighter guitars. She our lead guitarist go out to his car and brings in my two se's. I standard there like a victorian lady waiting to be dressed while Steve gently slides the guitar over my shoulder, The sound that came out of my mouth was probably closer to a howl and a scream, no way am I going to be able to stand and perform to 2 hours + few the next 2 weeks at least.

So what to do, we can't cancel and I was determined that I wasn't sitting on a stool every night (and yes I know it worked for Jeff Healey). I think I only managed on saturday because of the amount adrenaline running through my body.

So we decided to have a game of switch around =
Keith = Vocals, acoustic guitar on some tracks - position unchanged
Steve = Lead Guitar, backing vocals - position unchanged
Elaine = Drums, Vocals - position unchanged
Nathan = Bass, backing vocals - moves over to rythm guitar
Ben = keyboard player, backing vocals - moves over to bass guitar
John (me) = Rythm / Slide guitar, harmony vocals - moves over to keyboards

I'm actually a classically trained pianist have started lession at 3 years old and was one offered a position with the Halle orchestra, during the year of the band I'd switch between keyboard during the show until we recruited Ben, then I could just concentrate on my guitar parts. I actuall still right all my compositions - be it personal use or for the band on a electric piano

Ben uses a seat that is actually slopped at 45 dregrees, so while he's actually stood up he's still resting his body(a similar idea is found is some bus stops and train stations here in the UK. This meant that I could stand and play the keyboard parts without feeling anymore (than usual) pain.

Like I said the the gig went great and the change around really recharged the band (the joke being we were thinking of calling it a day at the end this tour) now the band want to change around again have Elaine do at least a few sets as vocalist and Keith playing drums (he plays drums in his local pub band, when he's free)

I hadn't thought about Elaine on vocals, shes got a fantastic voice but all our songs are typical male singing to or about females but I guess in these days of LGBTQ I guess it should work. She's currently beside me going over the set list working out which ones can be changed to girl/boy and which could be girl/girl. we have a tonight today but thats gonna be last nights lineup then we'll unleash Elaine on Friday to a unsuspecting crowd (it stood be fun, she's 5' 1" and is the spitting image of WWE wrestler Nikki Cross)

Nice update John, hope all goes well.

First off thanks to everyone for their support and best wishes, it's gonna be a tough few week. Perversely I actually felt more alive at last night's gig and strangely super excited about the upcoming shows than I have been about the band since we first started doing gigs 34 years. After my last post I asked the rest of the band members separately what were their thoughts on last night's gig - the resulting answers have convinced me that this band still has a future. We still have try out switch the drummer and the singer around (trying a few songs tonight instead of waiting till friday)

@DBedard the light guitars with certainly come into play further into the tour. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a awkward sod who doesn't listen to doctors, the prime example being my bike accident. Doctors told me I'd probably never walk again (my brother a £1000 bet with the doctor that only would I walk again but I would do a 10k sponsored event within a year of leaving hospital, he acceptexd and then dumbfounded them both by doing a half marathon 10 months to th e day of hospital release - I then claimed the money off my brother. So I certainly be back on guitar before the final show, which is the 34th anniversary of this lineup.

The real kicker is if this had happened at any other time my so would of subbed for me (he's actually much better than me) but as a twist of fate he's currently in the USA with his mom and stepdad on a five week holiday, they flew out early Saturday morning so they were there for the first set but left during the interval cause they had early flights.

I feel that this could be the start of a whole new adventure. Watch this space.

The band have just suggested changing our intro music from "ON THE RADIO" by British rock group THUNDER. Their really good friends of ours and we toured together in the early days of bands (Luke Morley the bands main song writer - and one of my sons godfathers say he actually wrote his about my band after we reformed) we perform it some nights

The general consensus is that we should use "Kick-start my heart" by Motley Crue ss it's always been one of our standard encore songs and as
relevant to this band as it is to Motley Crue.

I feel this is a good choice because no matter what happens at the end of this tour. The original Company of Wolves is over, however the Company of Wolves rotating circus may just be gaining traction. 90 mins to curtain time - the show must go on.

Last edited:
Back