NGD (sort of): Silver Sky SE Stone Blue

docteurseb

Curiosity got the better of me when I was able to get a Silver Sky SE in Stone Blue at a no-risk price.

Having owned two of the Core models in the past I would never again get a USA rosewood model after playing this SE.
Don't get me wrong, the USA one is great too, but the SE has my preference in terms of feel and playability; the fact it's now 1/3rd the price with no downside (excite the somewhat unexciting colors) seals the deal.

Summary:
- satin neck finish feels drastically better than the nearly gloss one they put on the RW USA models. It's similar to the USA male neck one.
- slightly flatter radius definitely is welcome.
- it's as resonant as the best bolt-on guitar I ever had (so were the USA ones).
- pickups are fantastic. I compared them to the Genesis clones of the Silver Sky USA pickups and I would personally not change them. They do exactly the very thing they had to do: nail the USA SS JM tone with those great in-between tones.
- fretwork is impeccable, and the fret slots not extending all the way to the edges of the fingerboard is also a plus compared to the USA one.
- fingerboard edges are rolled though it does not always look like it (I can expand but bottom line: it feels great).

Setup was a mixed bag:
- string nut slots were perfectly cut, at the right height.
- Intonation was spot on.
- Action/bridge setup: awful.
Bridge saddles' height was maxed out to the point where one of the height adjustment screws was completely out of the saddle.
Even after adjusting the neck relief, which is to be expected of any guitars and especially on that has travelled that much, the action was very high (around 6/64"-7/64").
That well could be to JM specs as I recall my past USA ones to be equally uncomfortable out of the box.
Once the action was where I wanted to be (typically 4/64" on the e, 5/64" on the E) the guitar was perfect for me, easy bends, no choking.

While I no longer have it, I expect I'll get one again once I sell my Strat...
If you can get one and like the colors, don't hesitate.

TOO51k1.jpg

ON4no2S.jpg

FBPHI1n.jpg

k0AsuDL.jpg

q53XN1F.jpg

Last edited:
I like the colors on the SEs, but haven’t played one yet. I got my 2016 down off the wall to play some Tears For Fears after watching their video show, and it (again) surprised me with how great it sounds and plays. It has the rosewood board and Horizon (CAR) finish, and I just can’t find a thing about it to dislike. Just goes to show that there’s a good reason guitar makers make more than one version of a guitar! Different players gravitate to different things.

The SEs look to be one of the better guitar bargains out there, and one of a precious few reasonably priced pro-use-possible instruments out these days. I’m looking forward to playing one soon to get my own impressions!

Why'd ya flip it?
Zero reason not to.

I make my own Strats and cycle through them quite a lot to keep the building hobby going.
I still have two at the moment and one more in the works; until I part one out I don't need the SS.

But I do really like the SS heel design.
Fender went the easy and lazy route using a 22 fret overhang to prolong the life of their original/old design (and yes cost, not retooling/redesigning a new body/neck, backwards compatibility, unknowns appeal/risk of the 22 frets design would have been strong valid reasons to go that route, etc...).
PRS had no such constraint, and made it right.

Last edited:
Back