NGD!! PRS Ted McCarty Limited SC245...but I have a few questions

jcolmn

NGD PRS Ted McCarty Limited SC245...but I have a few questions

I was able to score a Limited Ted McCarty SC245 from GC. It was used and marked way down to the sub-$2K level. I always wanted one so I pulled the trigger.

I like it, but it appears to have had quite a few upgrades (or downgrades)

I appreciate any information or comments.

First of all...it arrived in a PRS black case, not a paisley :mad: . It had the original hangtag, but the case was obviously switched as it contained a new US tremolo arm in it.

I then see that it has a different bridge and knobs.

OK, I did get a good price and the bridge seems like an upgrade, but the US knobs need to be replaced. Ok so I got hosed on the case and knobs so far.

I go to use the volume knobs and they are not configured correctly. And there are coil taps. Once again, I wonder what we have here.

Someone rewired and moved the knobs around and added coil taps.

The pickups look to be 57/08s but have some serious solder on them. I only looked because while the neck pickup sounds magnificent, the bridge sounds much thinner with lower volume...even untapped.

But its a 10 top! (OK I saw it on the back of the headstock, but it is nice to see it in the MODCAT too)

So while I'd rather it be bone stock, I will have to think about whether I got a bargain or if I should throw her back.

Of course the guitar is great playing and is in great condition, with the exception of a few nicks and swirls.

So while I am disappointed, I don't want my disappointment to result in me returning the guitar only to kick myself later for letting it go.

Last edited:
First of all, congrats on your beautiful new guitar.

I'm a little bit confused about the case issue. I thought that the core series guitars came in black cases, and that paisley was reserved for Private Stock.

Also, is that not a PRS adjustable stoptail bridge? What type of bridge is supposed to be on the guitar? What does it say on the hang tag?

Kevin

First of all, congrats on your beautiful new guitar.

I'm a little bit confused about the case issue. I thought that the core series guitars came in black cases, and that paisley was reserved for Private Stock.

Also, is that not a PRS adjustable stoptail bridge? What type of bridge is supposed to be on the guitar? What does it say on the hang tag?

Kevin

The modcat says S for straight stoptail. I was under the impression that the paisley case came with this. I see pictures of these for sale with it, but those may be PS.

I always assumed Paisley was for PS guitars, too. How does it feel to play and how does it sound through your amp? Those would be the deciding keep-it-or-toss-it factors for m.

The modcat says S for straight stoptail. I was under the impression that the paisley case came with this. I see pictures of these for sale with it, but those may be PS.

There is a new PS model McCarty Singlecut with a 2 piece bridge, that's currently circulating in the PRS lineup (I've got one). The body is a bit thicker without the tummy cut, the fingerboard and headstock overlay are Honduran rosewood, and the pickups are a little different, but otherwise it's very similar.

The PS is the one with the paisley case. However, you can get the case from the PRS accessory shop or a dealer for your guitar.

Looks like someone modded your electronics, not a big deal, and easily reversed if you don't want coil taps. The knobs on your guitar appear to be correct for that model year. The lampshade knobs came a bit later, as did the Phase III tuners.

In any event you saved thousands, I wouldn't worry about the case!

I have the paisley case for a couple guitars that are "lower" than Private Stock.....Such as a "wood library" or similar "limited runs". And the few PS guitars I have had personal contact with seemed to be residing in leather cases rather than paisley.

As above, I would focus more on whether you like the guitar or not, rather than the case. Have fun with it.

and the ugly solder job on the pups is probably from modding for coil taps. They pulled the covers, added a wire at the end of first coil, then soldered the cover back on.

Check the height of the bridge pup. If it's too low (or tilted much) it will sound thin.

BTW, congrats! I'd keep it and convert it back to stock (except for the coil taps, whichmI like on the 57/08s).

and the ugly solder job on the pups is probably from modding for coil taps. They pulled the covers, added a wire at the end of first coil, then soldered the cover back on.

Check the height of the bridge pup. If it's too low (or tilted much) it will sound thin.

BTW, congrats! I'd keep it and convert it back to stock (except for the coil taps, whichmI like on the 57/08s).

Agree about the taps on the 57/08s, they sound killer! Nice guitar by the way.

Very nice score IMHO
keep it if you like the tone and playability and rock it hard

congrats

I have the paisley case for a couple guitars that are "lower" than Private Stock.....Such as a "wood library" or similar "limited runs". And the few PS guitars I have had personal contact with seemed to be residing in leather cases rather than paisley..

Depends on the instrument. The 2015 PS run that's in the price sheet has the new paisley case that The Hammer came in. Other PS guitars come in leather, some have come in paisley as well. And some non PS guitars, such as the older artist package models, came in black leather cases.

It's pretty much all over the place.

Doesn't really matter of course.

I have a SC58 and it came with the Paisley case but the excitement is when I open the case and look at the guitar, I would feel excatly the same way looking at this beauty.

Jock

Thanks for all of the information. I went into this with some wrong assumptions and now know just what I have. This forum as usual has knowledge of all things PRS!

Is it a 2009? I've got one of the McCartys from that limited run except mine is a 10 top with P90s. Picked it up from GC as well. It was NOS. They switched the cases for a SC Trem with mine and had lost the hangtag, but for the deal I didn't get too upset. Those knobs appear to be switched. They look like round speed knobs instead of the lampshades.

I have a Stripped 58 and I love the neck 57/08 but find the bridge to be thin when the gain is upped.

Sweet guitar. If it's playing well and you like it, keep it. Nice top.

Great looking guitar!

SC58's, MC58's and Paul's Guitars came with Paisley cases as well as some of the wood library runs, but I'm not sure about the Teds.

All of these limited run Teds even the wood library ones from Willcutts came with the regular black case. They also had lampshades and the non-adjustable stop tail. I had one that I modded for coil taps and 59/09s but this isn't it.

It is awesome. A definite keeper.

Once again thanks to those here to help me understand what I stumbled upon.

Absolutely great guitar with great sounds.

Back