NGD PRS SE Angelus Standard 3 2 2015

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I have many electrics now, but this is my first acoustic.
I had not played an acoustic guitar since 1975 in high school music glass.
Those were cheap nylon string guitars we had back then that sounded like crap :D

I like the new direction of some of the acoustics being made now that include the onboard preamp so you can plug into an amp, and also the onboard tuners they have.

Since I am very happy with my past PRS guitar purchases, I naturally looked into the new SE Angelus Standard.
http://www.prsguitars.com/seangelusstandard/

The guitar has a nice neck on it, not as fat as I thought that might have came with it.
I am a fan of thin necks, and this neck is more like a PRS electric neck than a fatter acoustic.
With this neck profile I find the transition to playing my new acoustic a lot easier than I thought it might be.
The guitar plays very nice, and it did not take me long to get use to a thicker string, as I am use to 9-42s on all of my electrics.

This guitar sounds very full and rich, I cannot believe it does not cost several times what it does.
I had a chance to plug it into my little Yamaha THR 10X amp on the clean channel, and it sounded very good.
Pretty cool when I added in some effects like tremolo, phase shifter, etc.
However on the high gain channels I got some feedback.
I will try the guitar out later on my Mesa Boogie Mark Five 25 amp and see how it sounds.
Maybe tomorrow I will make a short video and post it to this thread.

The only mods I had done to the guitar at the dealer was to install the Planet Waves Autotrim Locking Tuners like I run on most of my other guitars.
I like how they lock the string in place and they also cut the string for you after the first turn, very trick.
Dealer also put on new strings, the same that the guitar comes with, only a little lighter custom gauge.
The guitar came with 12-53, and he put on 11-52s which I like very much.
D'Addario EXP26 Phosphor Bronze, Custom Light, 11-52

Once I got it home I put Schaller Strap Locks on it since all of my other guitars use them and the straps are all equipped with the Schallers too.
Schaller 14010101 Security Straplocks, Nickel

All in all I am very happy with this purchase.

On with some pictures.

Very nice hard case is included with this guitar

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Closeups of the electronics

5.jpg

6.jpg

You can see the carpet in the backs reflection

7.jpg

A few others, not all of my guitars are out, and the SE Custom 24 is at work too play early before work

8.jpg

You can see the lower half of the two piece top is darker wood than the top half

9.jpg

Last edited:
Part II, ten picture limit.

The official PRS forum members truss rod cover designed by member Hopeful Sinner

10.jpg

Yeah, the mohawk is gettin' bigger

11.jpg

14.jpg

Yeah, the mohawk is gettin' bigger

11.jpg

Huh - I thought you just excited about the guitar!

Congrats, and welcome to Club SE Angelus - Standard Membership!

Great guitar, especially at that price point. I still go back to Ricky Skaggs doing an A/B with one of the SE protos and a PS Angelus at Experience. He played both for a bit, and said, "This is a really good guitar. Is there a difference between the two? Yes, absolutely. Is it a 10x price difference? Well..."

Thanks Alan, I am glad I went with this for my first acoustic.
I played a lot of Ovations back in the high school days, and they do not even come close to the sound and playability of this guitar.
I think it is a killer deal for the price.
Even the TRC fit great on it with no small gap at the bottom.
My SE Tremonti Custom has the same TRC, and most know that on SEs there will be a small gap at the bottom, but not with the SE Angelus.

I need more of these TRCs, hope they do another run some day.
Had to steal this one off of my ZM, I had bought three, should have bought around five, would like one for the Kingfisher too.

Cool guitar!

Incidentally, if you are a guy who records with Universal Audio UAD plugins, they have a new one that lets you record direct with a piezo equipped guitar and it doesn't sound like a piezo - it sounds like a mic!

Unfortunately, the plugin costs more than a decent mic, so there's that one little problem... ;)

Thanks guy's, very happy with it.
I played it more than the other ones I had out this weekend.
Really liking these D'Addario EXP24 strings too.

Sweetwater had three of these in late last week, and they all sold out.

Sure love mine! I replaced the chrome tuner buttons with real wood. Macassar ebony. Love em. Feel great to the touch, however this guitar doesn't require a tune often!

Thanks Matt.

I am off to the GAS station, 'er I mean my dealer later this morning.
My new case for my Angelus came in yesterday, and I will be taking the case back that the Angelus came in.
It had a big rip on the bottom of it, and my dealer able to get me a replacement out of Maryland.

Also going to drop off my 2012 SE Santana for a setup, new strings, and a new toggle switch.
Seems some other SE Santana members have had their toggles messing up too.
Works great in the middle and bridge pickup position, but the neck position can be spotty and go to half volume at times.

Back