NGD! Paul's Guitar Blue Fade Quilt

jay

Happy Member
New Guitar Day for me!!! (two weeks ago actually, but then I was on holiday so I wasn't able to play it)
Paul's Guitar Blue Fade Quilt. And it is ecstasy for me.

wt3MlYll.jpg

1OeNAfkl.jpg

GllEXRel.jpg

zliJrzUl.jpg

zOznM9Ul.jpg

NOLMxaBl.jpg

I was in doubt between PG and P22 because of the piezo as I like to play acoustic, but when I compared a 408 with a P22 at a local store I preferred 408 sound. Just a sensation as with wrong amp, noise in the background, not much time,... it was difficult to really understand. General disappointment: finding a good choice of PRSi in the north of Italy seems difficult/impossible, so I had to buy it online (which I hate because I lost part of the fun).

My main guitar before was a LP Std 2008 and I still love it. Following impressions of the PG are then mostly a comparison to the LP and they are probably biased by the fact that I am still more used to the LP. This is not intended anyway as a real comparison. I know price tags are different and so on. I just needed to use the LP as a starting point to be able to explain.

Anyway, this is what I feel (and hear).

1. Unplugged, I do not hear the volume difference that I was expecting compared the LP. On the other side, the tone is completely different. PG is much brighter but I would say very well balanced. Very joyful
2. The overall feel is fantastic. I like the shape of the frets much more than on the LP (they are probably standard but I haven't played that many guitars in my life to have enough knowledge). The shape of the neck is very good but it seems that in some situations the asymmetrical neck of LP is more comfortable to me. This is just a sensation I've had in a couple of moments
3. Plugged in, I don't know how to say it ... the sound seems always "right". It's like I have more control over the intensity and the "intention" of each note. I don't know if the pickups are more reactive to something or the overall wonderful feeling lets me concentrate more on how I play or whatever else, but I feel myself more in control of what is happening and the sound reflects better what I have in mind.
4. Humbucker: brighter than LP, they obviously become more similar to each other when I roll off the tone knob. At first they sounded completely different, then I recorded them side by side on my loop and I realized the difference is subtler. If I have to chose, right now I still prefer LP roundness, but it's good to have both.
5. Single coil: first of all, at least at "home" volumes, you tend to forget that usually single coils make hum. Anyway, I absolutely love the single coil sound of this guitar. Right now, the most interesting sound for me is both pickups, both single coils (maybe because it's the more different from LP). It has that very clear single coil soul but with all the roundness and wonderful complexity of all the sounds that come out from this guitar.
6. Humbuckers vs Single Coils (Versatility): this was the point that scared me more before buying, when watching to youtube reviews and reading some (not all) comments. Well:
  • (premise): once a guitar can produce ONE exceptionally good sound, for me it's done its job
  • it is untrue that it is difficult to hear the difference between HB and SC. Simply, single coils are not Fender ones (btw: this is a very personal thing, but every time I have tried a Fender Strat or Tele, which I do not own, I was never able to bond with it as quickly as I did with these 408 single coils)
  • there is no predominance of HB or SC. It does not let you think "oh, this is born for HB but it has coil split". It's 50-50.
  • I have tried coil split on a 2014 LP Std (quite quickly, I must admit) and those sounded a bit pointless to me instead. I thought they seem like they have been done knowing that 95% of the time that guitar will be played in HB anyway.
  • so I would say this guitar is extremely versatile within a non-extreme range of sounds. With other guitars you may have more extreme differences between sounds without the flexibilty to smoothly blend from one to the other like you do with a PG. This is a plus for me. For Stratty sound, I can have Strats.
7. Controls: apart from the feel, which is on another planet respect to an "old" LP, but this is an easy-win (old-style knobs on LP are cool but bad), volume control in particular is fantastic, as probably is on any PRS. I find myself moving it one millimeter at a time to find the correct spot and changing while playing much more than on the LP. Tone is always very usable and linear too. Coil split flicking mechanisms are ok, better than push/pull for me.

Best thing: both pickups, both single coils. I would never stop.
Worst thing: "both pickups, both single coils" is so good that I tend not to use the other tones, at least for now, probably also because of the non-extremely different sounds they provide.

Questions for you:
1. Do these single coils work in a similar way as to other brands noiseless single coils?
2. This particular guitar was listed by the seller as "Limited Edition" because of the color (I haven't found any other quilt blue fade on the Internet). Seller told me (after the sell was done, so no reason to lie) that these are "one-off" pieces that PRS does here and there. Is there any rule for this? Do PRS formally produce such "limited editions" for some periods or is it just random? Are there such things as "standard" colors or just more common and less common ones? Would anyone be able to roughly estimate how many of these quilt blue fade PG could actually exist or be produced per year (10, 100, 1000, 5000), just to have an idea of how they work at PRS?

Thanks

Wow! The fade and top on that are outstanding. Beautiful guitar and nice review- congrats!

Beautiful! I love that fade+quilt! I can't answer any of your questions since I still haven't even played a Paul's. :dontknow:

Really nice guitar, and good review!

The "Fade" finishes are not part of the standard color selections - you have to upgrade to the Artist Package to get that finish on a Paul's Guitar and other guitars.

If you go to the PRS website, Products, and then each model, you can see the standard colors and the options available in an Artist Package.

I have no idea how/whether PRS's single coil modes are different from other brands, so I can't help there, sorry!

First, congrats! That is a beauty and I really appreciate your review since I also have a PG from a very similar situation as yours. Mine was bought new from a dealer, however.

But, to answer your questions.

1. Can't say about single coil comparison, only because I've never owned any other. Have also never owned an LP, so no help there and also why I really appreciate your comparison between the two. And I agree with your assessment of the difference between humbucking and single coil sounds. They are a bit subtle, yet noticeable and very pleasing.
2. Mine is also a "Limited Edition" through MusicStoreLive. What I understand, from having read here and there, is that dealers often go and have special runs made up of hand-selected woods and finishes, etc. And it may be 10 or more guitars that they order and then offer through their outlet as "Limited Editions". Mine came with a solid Mahogany body (a particularly beautiful grain pattern that sold me) and a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard on an Indian Rosewood neck. Although mine is a McCarty Tobacco Sunburst finish and yours is the Blue Fade Quilt, there probably aren't many, if any, others of those particular combinations. So ours can really be considered "one off", because they were specifically ordered in that fashion. In a real sense, they could also be considered Private Stock, so to speak. Why not? ;)

I hope I gain enough experience to truly appreciate mine as much as you do yours, though I don't think I will be buying any LP's or Strats to do any A/B'ing. :shakehands:

If you bought this from a store in the North of England, then I can say it looks just as stunning in the flesh.

Great review BTW

If you bought this from a ststore n the North of England, then I can say it looks just as stunning in the flesh.

Great review BTW

Yeah, it's that one! I had to buy it online but I have ever loved faded PRSi so when I saw this I couldn't resist.

I hope one day I will have the chance to visit the store and meet the owner

Thanks to all

Last edited:
Very pretty indeed! and an insightful review.
I've loved the way PRS volume controls roll off ever since I got my first one back in the 80s. Just perfect.
Your coil tap function almost certainly involves a resistor so that not all of the second coil's signal goes to ground. It's a brilliant idea and has totally changed my feelings about coil tapping in general.

Beautiful guitar and great color. Blue really brings out the figure in maple.
Congratulations.

Tom

Of all the things I could say about such a beautiful guitar, is it new spec to put two screws side-by-side on the TRC?

The 408 pickups are sensational pickups. Nice choice.

Back