NGD - my second "Bernie"

SingleCup

double "bernie" SE owner
hy forum
until now, i just peaked in to read, but today, i have to tell you my story about my second SE Bernie Marsden Acquisition
it was quite sad news to hear that this model is discontinued in 2016, i just love it!
mine is a "grey-black" (i think, that is what they used to sell it for) and the nice, flamy top shows all kinds of color, depending on the lights, it's exposed to (green is very prominent)

since i heard of gold-top bernies, - and gold being one of my favorite choices for a SingleCut Type Guitar - i kept searching for them.
over here in europe, they restricted the special run in 2016 to 250 guitars, from what i heard.
so expecting to see one in real life is not a really reasonable thing.

today, i walk into one of the guitar stores in town, the one, i always visit for strings, since they have a basket of many different strings half price, i see a gold top SE hanging on the wall.

as a little side note: about 2 years ago, i spotted another SE Single Cut (not a Bernie) in Gold at another Shop. but the lack of binding and other differences made it hard for me to decide ..
recently, i found out that it is missing in this shop and 3 weeks ago, i found out why:
i went to a concert and found out that the guitarist of this band just bought a new SE SC, - in GOLD.
guess which one ...

so this chance was gone.
and then, back to todays visit, i spotted the 3-knobs layout, which made my heart beat a little bit faster,
just to get close enough, to really see the headstock, that says "bernie marsden"
imagine, what a challenge!

so i didn't have to think any longer - i am now the proud owner of 2 bernies! one in gold.
the thing is this: since it doesn't use a veneer for the top, it seems to sound a little different!
i don't know for sure, but i guess it is one of the special run from 2016, so the PU's will be the newer ones as my 2014 ones, right?
and something else: right away i could feel the heavy weight. my other one is 2.9 kg, this one is over 3.5!
is that the maple cap or has the solid color also an effect?

anyway: i found out that the sound is a bit more bright, a little less "dirty" with the same settings on the amp, but i have to check this away from home, when i can turn the amp on a bit more.
i am one happy guy with my 2 bernies, as i look at them standing side by side.
when i find out about how to post pics, i will do that. (not sure about forum restrictions, i just read about "no links be4 10 posts, but i'll find my way ...

happy WEEKEND fellow musicians! Cheers from switzerland

Great story. Congrats!

I think what you're feeling and hearing is largely due to natural variations in wood. 3 kilos seems exceptionally light for that style of guitar. 3.5 is still very reasonable for a Singlecut.

I don't know about the pickups, but it can be fun to have guitars with different personalities to best fit your mood of the day.

Lots can affect the tone of 2 of the same model. They usually sound similar but there can be minor difference in brightness, beefiness, etc. That's not uncommon. You could measure the pickup heights as well and see if they're the same. I try to get the pickups set to a general height where the output is close enough to switch between my guitars without a big volume jump and let each guitar be it's own thing, whatever that might be. Maybe some Bernie experts can answer your model model specific questions.

Congrats, Now you peaked my interest to go check the only Bernie in Lebanon ( that I know off)
that surfaced in a music shop near my work 2 weeks ago ( I hope it's still there)

Congrats! Love my Bernie!

Congrats, Now you peaked my interest to go check the only Bernie in Lebanon ( that I know off)
that surfaced in a music shop near my work 2 weeks ago ( I hope it's still there)

You really should check it out if it's still there.

thanks, i really have to adjust the PU's since they are set up different, and i will post some pics of the "sisters" tomorrow. it's getting too late for nice pics over here, not enough light outside anymore. that will leave me with some playing-time.

Back