NGD - from the scraps in the vault

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
Last Sept I found this cool top in the vault that I thought deserved a special finish. I went home to think about it and had this idea for a guitar I was going to call "heritage". The finish I asked for became dragon's breath, which is nice enough but not quite what I wanted for this guitar so the top was released to the ravenous horde at Experience.
My timing was a bit off returning because I got there after the inpired Indiana crew ransacked the place and the the quilt master from the great white north pillaged the remains to fill an entire rack with choice woods. Lucky for me, my tastes are a bit off of the main path so there was a top that would work well for what I had in mind. I took another shot at finding a path to the stain I wanted, but clearly a measure of compromise was going to be in order. We set the top aside, reserving judgement on the finish and picked the rest of the woods. Fingerboard came up quickly as did the back.
The neck was the big score. Somehow, against the odds a beautiful block of cocobolo had survived and was sitting all alone on the top of one of the racks of wood.
Enough babbling, time for some pictures (cheers to Brent for keeping a quality camera handy and sending me the results - most of these photos are his).
Having raised two girls I'm a big believer in that a person's face when they first see something says everything about what the feel about it.
CK_801PShowingGuitarBackAndSapAAA.jpeg

CK_09PShowsGuitarTop.JPG

but the guitar is prettier than me, so here is some detail
CK_844HealSapDetail.jpeg

really, how could any body resist the figure on this neck
CK_833BackHeadstockDetailAAA.jpeg

nice big chunk of mahogany for the back - and my wife doesn't allow plastic covers
CK_829BackNeckFigureAAA.jpeg

finally a closer look at the top - the final choice of stain was to complement the neck and pull the woods together
CK_845Top.jpeg

My wife picked the fingerboard and hardware along with the cover plate and is currently calling the guitar "not heritage". I think it deserves a better name.

Im with you - unique tops like this are really special. This thing is a freaking home run guys!

Woah! The Indiana crew must have been asleep at the wheel. Not only do I completely dig that maple crotch top, I think the sap on that cocobolo neck is the shitz!

Great work!!! That's a keeper fer shure.

Back