NGD - David Grissom DGT Orange Tiger

stratlanta

How do brushstroke birds fly?
This has been an interesting year for me in terms of gear. Over the last few years I sort of rediscovered my passion for playing after stagnating and losing it for a while. Part of that was finally finding that sound that inspires me and discovering how to get it more consistently.

The downside of all of that is that it's caused a big rotation in gear. This year I've moved tons of stuff out that I just wasn't playing or that didn't put a big smile on my face when I plugged it in. The used market is saturated right now so I've taken a hit on some things, but that's the way it goes I guess.

The upside is that I've taken this as an opportunity to fill the coffers back up with guitars and amps that make me really pine to play more. I'm now back to that point where I sometimes lay awake at night thinking about playing. I'm not kidding when I say I've actually gotten out of bed in the middle of the night to just go strum some chords quietly in the dark... haha.

OK, too much info for a NGD thread? Yeah, probably. Sorry about that. So let's get to the good stuff. PICS!!

Pre-owned 2015 DGT Artist package in Orange Tiger. Roar..... ;-)

i-xcFzwST-XL.jpg

i-w7fCQLR-XL.jpg

i-S737RSX-XL.jpg

i-rBZNbFX-XL.jpg

That's a beautiful guitar!

I want to know more about the "story" -- why did you decide on this guitar in particular? How did you find it? (I'm gonna guess it's not a pawn shop find.)

Have you gotten out of the bed in the middle of the night to play the tiger?

What kind of sound are you after? Is this guitar getting you there, or will you need to change out some of the components?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

-Melissa

I want to know more about the "story" -- why did you decide on this guitar in particular? How did you find it? (I'm gonna guess it's not a pawn shop find.)

What kind of sound are you after? Is this guitar getting you there, or will you need to change out some of the components?

-Melissa

Awesome questions! Walking out the door but will answer later today.

This has been an interesting year for me in terms of gear. Over the last few years I sort of rediscovered my passion for playing after stagnating and losing it for a while. Part of that was finally finding that sound that inspires me and discovering how to get it more consistently.

The downside of all of that is that it's caused a big rotation in gear. This year I've moved tons of stuff out that I just wasn't playing or that didn't put a big smile on my face when I plugged it in. The used market is saturated right now so I've taken a hit on some things, but that's the way it goes I guess.

The upside is that I've taken this as an opportunity to fill the coffers back up with guitars and amps that make me really pine to play more. I'm now back to that point where I sometimes lay awake at night thinking about playing. I'm not kidding when I say I've actually gotten out of bed in the middle of the night to just go strum some chords quietly in the dark... haha.

OK, too much info for a NGD thread? Yeah, probably. Sorry about that. So let's get to the good stuff. PICS!!

Pre-owned 2015 DGT Artist package in Orange Tiger. Roar..... ;-)

i-xcFzwST-XL.jpg

i-w7fCQLR-XL.jpg

i-S737RSX-XL.jpg

i-rBZNbFX-XL.jpg
Unbelievable. Wow

-Melissa

I want to know more about the "story" -- why did you decide on this guitar in particular? How did you find it? (I'm gonna guess it's not a pawn shop find.) - So I actually just got this guitar on Thursday. We're getting to know each other but I wanted this model because it was different from my other PRSi. Specifically it has a maple neck and fretboard, a different neck shape, different pickups, different frets and a different control layout. I think Grissom is a great player and I figured that if it's signed off on by him it must be ok. I found it on Reverb first but I've worked with Music Zoo before. The funny part is that I had my eye on it but thought they wanted too much for it. I was going to make an offer through Reverb but got distracted.... but a couple of days later it went on sale on their website for what I was going to offer them so I figured it was a sign from the universe. Plus, my wife's favorite color is orange... hoping that helps keep me out of trouble... haha.

Have you gotten out of the bed in the middle of the night to play the tiger? Close. I stayed up late playing it the other night. I'm still getting a feel for it. It's very bright sounding and the neck is pretty different but so far it's a really nice guitar. The trem works really well. It's so nice to be able to actually use a trem and have the guitar stay in tune. What a concept! The 594s I have are still the ones that tug at my heartstrings the most, but this is a really good guitar.

What kind of sound are you after? Is this guitar getting you there, or will you need to change out some of the components? I'm looking for a full, thick sound but with a lot of clarity. I can't stand muddy or dark guitars. I want to hear note separation and "bloom" in chords and I want single notes to be able to stand on their own. There are a lot of ways to get there - I can get a version of it with a cranked up Telecaster as well - but a nice, well-built guitar with good pickups that is clear and transparent sounding is what I'm looking for. It's tough to put into words. It would probably be heard most closely in a sort of "hot country" sound - clear, present, fat, articulate and with a bit of air and growl. It requires some volume on the amp to really get things rolling. So far this guitar definitely has the potential. I need to spend some more time with it. But overall a good Tele or my 594s through a EL38 based amp running a bit hot will get it done.

Bridge pickup cranked through the 50w amp that I rarely get to crank sounds glorious. Right up until both the daughter AND wife bust in to shut the party down.....

Back