NGD: Chris Robertson SE

Hotspur

So, it showed up - honestly just minutes after my previous post. I heard a rumble, looked outside "damn, that's a fedex truck, not a UPS one." While I was watching a UPS truck pulled up in front of the FEDEX one.

Buying this guitar was a bit of a leap of faith. I've played about 3-4 SE 245s, and liked the feel and balance but had some concerns about the chunkiness of the neck. Interestingly, I felt like the S2 singlecut has worse balance - the longer scale length or something, it just didn't feel quite right. About half the SE 245's I played had a neck that was a little too chunky for my tastes, but I decided to chance it anyway.

First reactions - goodness, this guitar is gorgeous. It's blacker than I expected - rather than feeling like a red guitar with a dark burst finish applied, it feels like a black guitar where some of the blackness has been taken away to reveal red underneath. Very cool.

The neck is ... chunky, particularly up near the headstock. That's going to take some getting used to, although after playing on it for an hour I'm already warming up to it. It's very comfortable but it's just not quite what I'm used to, although I like it a lot further up the neck. Both my Strat and my acoustic are 25.5 scale lengths so there's definitely some adjustment there.

Tonally this guitar is very dark. I like it, but, again, it's going to take a little getting used to (my other guitars are a strat and a Breedlove, which is a pretty bright acoustic). It sounds GREAT dirty, which is part of what I wanted it for - my Strat often just feels a little anemic dirtied up. There's definitely going to be some tone-dialing-in going on. After about 20 minutes I found a clean sound I really liked, and, honestly, I really love the les-paul-style layout - so much ability to sculpt and control the tone by adjusting the relative volumes of the pickups. But I do a lot of clean, finger-picked stuff, and while I did find a sound that really worked for that, I had to look a bit - there were a couple of places where it sounded to muddy.

In some ways, that's a function of how much character this guitar has. Strong tonal choices were made here, and that's kind of what I wanted - a strat can just feel very generic (and honestly so did some of the PRS S2s I tried). The flip side of that is figuring out how I work with those choices is going to take some work.

Finding good bridge pickup tones is important to me, and the early returns are promising. I never use the bridge pickup on my strat - it's just too brittle. Rolling off a little bit of the highs here helps, and, of course, I can also go mid-position and turn the volume on the neck most of the way down to thicken it up a bit.

So I'm not calling it love at first sight, rather, my first hour with this is more of a promising first date.

Congrats!

Those first few hours with a new guitar are always golden - digging in and discovering the character and tones and feels. Interesting that you described the tone as a bit muddy, but the bridge pup as a little bright. A little time w/a screwdriver or two, and maybe even with the tools of the same name, and you might be able to adjust the pickups where you get what you're looking for.

Have fun!

Update:

Chunkiness of the neck is something Ive adapted to completely. It's fine.

Tone is growing on me. I think some of it may just be that I'm not used to having a guitar with this much heft in the tone.

And speaking of heft - I think I need a better strap for this puppy.

That is the most beautiful Epiphone....... I have ever seen...... In my entire life........
ktGfJqj.png

But seriously, congratulations!

Kevin

Congrats! Keep on noodling and dialing in...before you know it you'll be past the second date and going all the way!

Cool! Glad you finally got it! Congrats!

Keep playing with her knobs and she'll show what she can do...;)

As the 100% nice guy, I totally understand you’re enjoying playing your guitar.

You will be subject to lots of digital nudges until the photo is uploaded. It’s meant in good faith:D

As the 100% nice guy, I totally understand you’re enjoying playing your guitar.

You will be subject to lots of digital nudges until the photo is uploaded. It’s meant in good faith:D

Here I'll translate for Alnus...tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...;) I totally get it...mine has been hard to walk away from too...:cool:

Okay, okay, okay.

So here's a good general pic. This is really how the guitar looks most of the time - gives you an idea of how dark it is. A friend of mine was over Friday night, and she saw it across the room and asked about "the black guitar." From the blown-out book in the background you can tell that it's pretty bright in the room.

pOGtjph.jpg

Putting it in direct sunlight makes the red pop.

WpYM6bv.jpg

I've been connecting with it a lot. Enjoying it a lot. There are some really amazing Jimmy Page and Cream-era Clapton tones in this thing.

Okay, okay, okay.

So here's a good general pic. This is really how the guitar looks most of the time - gives you an idea of how dark it is. A friend of mine was over Friday night, and she saw it across the room and asked about "the black guitar." From the blown-out book in the background you can tell that it's pretty bright in the room.

pOGtjph.jpg

Putting it in direct sunlight makes the red pop.

WpYM6bv.jpg

I've been connecting with it a lot. Enjoying it a lot. There are some really amazing Jimmy Page and Cream-era Clapton tones in this thing.

Nice!

It does look a bit darker than mine? I know mine looked darker on a few of the first pics I took...angle and lighting have a lot to do with mine I think...really glad to hear that you are digging it!

That's a dark beautiful beast (in color) for sure but dark in tone playing it through this awesome Vox?
I'm sure you'll find the sweet spots.

Congrats, enjoy it in good health.

Back