NGD - CE24

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Kinsman, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Kinsman

Kinsman New Member

Thanks everyone!
    Do you all strap lock your PRSi or use some other technique? I normally use them but I've been loathing messing with this beautiful piece of wood.

2. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

A lot of people do, via one form or another. I have used Schaller strap locks on every guitar I've owned since '94 or so.

Kinsman likes this.
  3. Kinsman

Kinsman New Member

Just wanted to follow up and say, holy crap this guitar is phenomenal!

Obviously, the visual pop is the first thing you notice but it plays like butter. However, to me, the pups steal the show. My cleans sound like I'm playing an amplified acoustic (and I say that in the best way possible).

Very very blown away by it. I bought this guitar thinking it would the last guitar in my collection (and the only PRSi) but no way will I not add a second one to the stable.

garrett likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum New Member

wow this looks great.
    satin finishes are my fave.

Kinsman likes this.
  5. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

Very sweet!

Kinsman likes this.
  6. BMiller

BMiller New Member

That is a very fine looking guitar you got there! Digging the black stained neck!!

As far as strap locks go, they were on every guitar that I ever had up until I got my first Core ('91 CU24). I couldn't bring myself to put them on it. Besides, the strap buttons on it work fine as opposed to the smaller ones found on my other guitars.

I had strap locks on my SE Tremonti Custom but ended up taking them off and installing a set of Core buttons on it. I like the low profile look better and functionally they are great.

bodia and Kinsman like this.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman New Member

I'm gonna try out a strap with the Fender rubber stoppers on, see if that's secure enough tomorrow.

8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'm with you on this. No strap locks on of my core guitars. The core buttons do the job well.

9. gush

gush New Member

I think it looks cool too. Didn't know they were doing that.

BMiller likes this.
  10. grausch

grausch New Member

The Core strap buttons tend to be pretty big - I have no idea how you'll get the rubber stoppers on there. Heck, sometimes I feel sorry for my strap once it is finally on...

11. bodia

Me too! I started taking the button off, putting the screw through the strap hole with the button on it, and then screwing it back in.

12. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

I don't hear so much of it now but there was a commonly referred to trick whereby you disassembled the mouse-trap found on the top of a bottle of Grolsch beer and used a piece of that. Never tried it myself.

[​IMG]

Kinsman and BMiller like this.
  13. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

Gorgeous guitar! congrats!!

I just unscrew the PRS strap pins, put the strap on, then screw the pins back on and leave the strap on all the time... works better than straplocks for me (once had a schaller fail on me because I neglected to re-tighten the nut on the strap side lock regularly)... The only problem is I have to have a different strap for every guitar.... but that's okay because I like shopping for guitar straps almost as much as I like shopping for guitars! :D

I use these (sorta) on my SE's and my non-PRS guitars (both of them)... You can buy black ones from a seller uni-brow on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eight-BLACK-Rubber-Guitar-Strap-Locks-Grolsch-Style-Classic-and-Reliabl-/122106550272?hash=item1c6e1e1800:g:2OEAAOSwFe5XxM1k
    (no affiliation but I've bought a few from him with no problems)

#33 Jimi D, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Congrats on your 1st PRSi - A beautiful guitar! Glad you like the tone. What will your next PRS be?

Kinsman likes this.
  15. bodia

I use the same method. And, I like shopping for straps too! I've been digging these lately.

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com/

Kinsman and Jimi D like this.
  16. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

Thanks for that link... some beautiful straps there... my wife's a Celtic harpist, and our wedding bands have Celtic knots wrought in white gold... might have to order that Dara strap I'm thinkin'...

Kinsman likes this.
  17. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump New Member

That blue flame looks sweet!

Kinsman likes this.
  18. bodia

Nice! I've ordered a couple. Very nicely done. Well constructed, and really comfortable. Ship pretty fast too.

19. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

I am far too cheap to spend that much on a strap! They do look beautiful though!

I tried the whole "taking the button off" thing for the first year or so of owning PRSi, but I like to take off the straps to polish the guitars when I change strings, so I gave up and put Schaller strap locks on all of mine. I've used them on all my guitars since having a guitar fall off on stage in 1989. I've not experienced the strap locks loosening up like Jimi D above, but I tend to check everything each time I change strings.

Kinsman likes this.
  20. bodia

Yea, they are pretty pricey. You can get on their email list. They do anywhere from 10%'to 40% off.