NGD: A sparkly golden unicorn!

garrett

I swear I wasn't looking to buy anything until at least the end of the year after the 2018 models get announced, but I'd say this one found me. I went up to the PRS haven that is Righteous Guitars to try out something a bit different like a Swamp Ash something or a Brent Mason. I was extolling the virtues of the 594, so they told me they had something I might like:

ABZVdTB.jpg
ABZVdTB.jpg

That's right, a Custom 22 with Pattern Vintage neck carve, my favorite neck shape yet. So far, it's an inexplicable anomaly and as far as Righteous and I know, it's the only one out there. It's a 2016 serial number, with a December 7 completion date and Righteous only got it about a month ago, so maybe it did some time on The Island of Misfit Toys?

Regardless, it feels, plays, sounds, and looks amazing.

Hello...

Jds0QPM.jpg

Early observations:

It is built to 2017 spec, so it has the 85/15 pickups and the Gen III bridge. It's my first experience with the 85/15 set and I'm just blown away by the clarity. No wonder they've gotten so popular. And the mounting screws on the Gen III bridge are no joke. They're massive.

I'm looking forward to pairing it up with my 594 to make a killer one-two punch. I have a couple of wiring mods in mind to make it even more versatile.

And more pics...

The fretboard has a red streak in it that I love
GexF8va.jpg

Also a big fan of the tight, straight grain on the back and neck
kpeh8Fl.jpg

EqBipn2.jpg

CdUvVtY.jpg

You did well, young Jedi! That is just outright slammin'! Love a gold top. That fret board is superb! And a Vintage neck carve....zoinks! That is a killer find. No way to pass that one up.

Now, if we could just get you a Santana! :D

Thanks, folks! I modified this one in record time. Only 24 hours after bringing it home, I've swapped out the blade and am experimenting with different set ups. Trying to decide between three-way blade with two push/pulls to coil split, or if I want to use the push/pulls plus a five-way super switch to get a bit more customized.

You did well, young Jedi! That is just outright slammin'! Love a gold top. That fret board is superb! And a Vintage neck carve....zoinks! That is a killer find. No way to pass that one up.

Now, if we could just get you a Santana! :D

Thanks! Nah, that's it for me. I'm retiring from guitar buying. There are significant casualties involved in this acquisition, including my HBII.

Sensational! Love the board.
I'll bite... how does the pattern vintage neck stack up to the others?

It's a bit fuller than Pattern. Honestly, if someone had stuck this guitar in my hands with no background info, I don't know that I would've noticed. The Pattern Vintage neck just feels great, but so does Pattern. The difference becomes apparent when you switch back and forth, though. Pattern Vintage has a bit more shoulder to it and fills my palm better.

Thanks, folks! I modified this one in record time. Only 24 hours after bringing it home, I've swapped out the blade and am experimenting with different set ups. Trying to decide between three-way blade with two push/pulls to coil split, or if I want to use the push/pulls plus a five-way super switch to get a bit more customized.

Thanks! Nah, that's it for me. I'm retiring from guitar buying. There are significant casualties involved in this acquisition, including my HBII.

It's a bit fuller than Pattern. Honestly, if someone had stuck this guitar in my hands with no background info, I don't know that I would've noticed. The Pattern Vintage neck just feels great, but so does Pattern. The difference becomes apparent when you switch back and forth, though. Pattern Vintage has a bit more shoulder to it and fills my palm better.
Thanks for that. I only have Pattern reg, Wide fat, and Wide thin to reference. Good to know.

Been having a lot of fun getting to know this beast over the last few days. What a great guitar.

That 85/15 bridge pickup delivers a ton of high end, so I lowered the treble side of the pickup a couple of turns, and then lowered the High E screw pole another quarter turn. I think it balances great with the neck pickup now. Still can't get over how good these pickups are.

I have also been having fun with the soldering iron and some wiring diagrams. I worked out a wiring mod using the stock switch and a push/pull tone control to get the same eight pickup combos as on the 594. I'm waiting on a push/pull pot to come in the mail, so right now I have it set up with an alternate five position wiring that's also cool:
  • Position 1: Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Screw Coil (stock wiring is bridge HB with neck slug coil)
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck Screw Coil (stock is neck slug coil with bridge screw coil)
  • Position 5: Neck Humbucker
In addition to splitting the neck pickup to the screw coil instead of slug coil, I'm using a 1k resistor, similar to the method used on PRS guitars with push/pull splits. This makes my positions 2 and 4 much more usable; splits without the resistors sound too anemic to me.

Once I install the push/pull, it'll give me new options for positions 1-3 and I'll be able to fully cover both single coil and humbucker worlds:
  • Position 1: Bridge Screw Coil
  • Position 2: Bridge Screw Coil with Neck Screw Coil
  • Position 3: Bridge Screw Coil and Neck Humbucker

Back