NGD - 30th Anniv. Private stock Custom 24 Royal Blue?

Stains that let wood grain show through are usually organic pigments, and many are photosensitive. Inorganic pigments aren’t usually transparent enough to use the way PRS uses stains.

Heck, wood is photosensitive. Lighter shades of wood like Maple tend to yellow. Blue plus yellow creates green,

Then there’s chemical interaction with the stuff in the wood, such as tannins. Add it up, and colors change.

I learned this from my brother, who’s an artist, and had to learn about pigments because he paints in oils and watercolors. Once it was explained to me, I kind of understood why guitar stains do what they do.

Would I send a truly great guitar back because its seller didn’t tell me about fading? Nope. Why would I punish myself for someone else’s faults?

Stains that let wood grain show through are usually organic pigments, and many are photosensitive. Inorganic pigments aren’t usually transparent enough to use the way PRS uses stains.

Heck, wood is photosensitive. Lighter shades of wood like Maple tend to yellow. Blue plus yellow creates green,

Then there’s chemical interaction with the stuff in the wood, such as tannins. Add it up, and colors change.

I learned this from my brother, who’s an artist, and had to learn about pigments because he paints in oils and watercolors. Once it was explained to me, I kind of understood why guitar stains do what they do.

Would I send a truly great guitar back because its seller didn’t tell me about fading? Nope. Why would I punish myself for someone else’s faults?
I know the same from my Dad who is a professional artist. He will often carry out a light sensitive check of materials before he uses them (piece of card with pigments on, a section protected from the light. You know high tech stuff!’).

I have a feeling that long past our lifetimes, these faded instruments will be the fashion (like relics) and become very valuable. Collectors pieces of you will.

don't they all use a type of UV protective paint these days? my blue crab blue burst never changed over the years,

That is incredible... and I kind of dig it too. Like a pair of faded jeans.

I completely agree with everything you posted above and if he loves the guitar, he should keep it.

However, its really shady thing for the dealer to post the original photo and sell the guitar without any update as to its condition.

This forum is full of glowing reviews of the integrity of PRS from Paul all the way to the selected dealers. I think this particular dealer didn't live up to that standard and it’s disappointing.

I completely agree with everything you posted above and if he loves the guitar, he should keep it.

However, its really shady thing for the dealer to post the original photo and sell the guitar without any update as to its condition.

This forum is full of glowing reviews of the integrity of PRS from Paul all the way to the selected dealers. I think this particular dealer didn't live up to that standard and it’s disappointing.
They don't appear to be a PRS dealer to me. Simply a dealer/seller selling a pre-owned PRS guitar.

And yes. VERY shady. Why would you even bother to show the original, new pictures if not an attempt to deceive potential customers. And the ruse worked, making it all the worse. Somebody purchased this guitar based on the misleading pictures and now will likely keep it, only further serving to reinforce this type of behavior.

Why do any of us bother to continually search through guitar listings and pictures if the guitar's appearance isn't a significant factor?

Kevin

That guitar was 100% most definitely on store display in direct sunlight. Even the rosewood board is faded. PRS boards are usually deep deep brown, almost black, out of the case.

Is there such a thing as warranty repair for faded stain? The guitar is not that old to fade so much...

It doesn’t look so much like a fade as a reaction to me. Ok it’s difficult to tell without seeing it in person.

Is there such a thing as warranty repair for faded stain? The guitar is not that old to fade so much...
Nope, color changes are considered part of usual wear and tear. Even if it was covered, the warranty would only extend to the original owner and not a secondhand purchase.

Nope, color changes are considered part of usual wear and tear. Even if it was covered, the warranty would only extend to the original owner and not a secondhand purchase.

That Reverb listing had it as "Brand New". Not that it matters, though.

OP likes the guitar. Says it’s a great one. He’s keeping it.

How about, “Congratulations, dude!”

But, no. Not here. Everything’s gotta be a controversy. Everyone’s gotta put in their two outraged cents and swing their d!cks pointlessly. :rolleyes:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

And hugs! :D

OP likes the guitar. Says it’s a great one. He’s keeping it.

How about, “Congratulations, dude!”

But, no. Not here. Everything’s gotta be a controversy. Everyone’s gotta put in their two outraged cents and swing their d!cks pointlessly. :rolleyes:
No d!ck swinging here, which is ironic considering the kilt thing and all! :confused::confused:

I’m outraged that “grumpy Les” has been AWOL for so long!

Double hugs (I understand that we can toss in a mild controversial insult and make it ok with the aforementioned gesture!):D

If it sounds great and plays great, then enjoy it, but I would call the dealer, accuse him of bait and switch and try to get some money back. And I personally would keep the guitar. Guitars are like A good woman. If you find an extraordinary one, don't bother about the color. Happiness doesn't have a color.

I have gone back and forth with the dealer... they seem rather shady talking about lighting instead of owning up to the fact that the guitar had changed color and did not closely resemble their listing - they even ran to Reverb to get an opinion they were not under obligation to accept a return and provide a refund - like I said from the start, the biggest thing was the unexpected surprise of it - she's really grown on my in the last day we've been together. That said, there is nothing "wrong" with this guitar and, on further reflection, I kinda like the fact that I have a one-off a limited run as it is. Pretty sure nobody else has a trampas green 30th anniv. custom 24 ...

One of my favorite fantasy things is old vintage guitars in PERFECT condition, but you can see the yellowing and natural fading in the wood, components, color and finish.

That would be an ideal vintage guitar for me. Genuine aging. For me aging and damage are two totally separate things. One is desirable and the other is not.

I have gone back and forth with the dealer... they seem rather shady talking about lighting instead of owning up to the fact that the guitar had changed color and did not closely resemble their listing - they even ran to Reverb to get an opinion they were not under obligation to accept a return and provide a refund - like I said from the start, the biggest thing was the unexpected surprise of it - she's really grown on my in the last day we've been together. That said, there is nothing "wrong" with this guitar and, on further reflection, I kinda like the fact that I have a one-off a limited run as it is. Pretty sure nobody else has a trampas green 30th anniv. custom 24 ...
Good for you, may you have many happy years of enjoying your guitar in good health.

I’m glad that you have quantified this experience as the chance to own something unique and not allowed it to spoil the great feeling of owning a truly amazing instrument.

Back