NGD - 2017 PRS Mark Holcomb SE is in da house!

Between the first edition of Mark Holcomb SE and the current 2017 series are two obvious differences.
The logo on the one hand side and the extent of the satin neck on the other hand side.

2017:
dscn2086-jpg.516560
The stinger is classy. :cool: I really like this model!

Sure! A friend of mine is a guitar tech, who adjusted the PRS core nut to the guitar, especially because of the lower axis of those Schaller tuners compared to the origin PRS SE tuners. Rasping was necessary by that fact indeed.
Hey Mate Nice mod on Mark SE good job, I was planning to order 1 but I hated the original nut, because it was cheap and definitely low quality, But now I see your upgraded version and I want that too :D so can you tell me where I can order the same nut, which model is it?

Thanks,

Hey Mate Nice mod on Mark SE good job, I was planning to order 1 but I hated the original nut, because it was cheap and definitely low quality, But now I see your upgraded version and I want that too :D so can you tell me where I can order the same nut, which model is it?

Thanks,
I think @Maertl513 used the "Core" nut, modified.

PRS sells nuts from the Accessory/Parts store. However, it appears they are out of stock, because they don't have any 6-string nuts listed:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts

An alternative might be John Mann's Guitar Vault:
https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/category_s/7286.htm

The Holcomb would need the Wide Thin/Fat model:
https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/PRS_String_Nuts_Wide_Fat_Thin_p/acc-4204.htm

But it would probably need tweaking to perfectly match the flatter radius: the inner slots would have to be cut ever so slightly deeper. A good luthier can do that for ya.

Sure! A friend of mine is a guitar tech, who adjusted the PRS core nut to the guitar, especially because of the lower axis of those Schaller tuners compared to the origin PRS SE tuners. Rasping was necessary by that fact indeed.

But I mean... If I install my tusq xl, I need to adjust the slots due to the 20" radius ?? I'm Spanish and don't understand very well the technical language :(

Of course you need to adjust the slots. Holcombs come with .52 to .10 string gauge. 20" means a very flat radius. I wouldn´t dare to do that on my own, therefore I paid a skillied guy :)

Removing wood to accommodate a new nut can weaken the neck structure and is totally unnecessary. Simplest method is to remove material from the bottom of the new nut by rubbing it flat over some sandpaper on a hard surface until you reach the desired height. If you mean that you had to clean the old glue from this area with sandpaper then this is fine and of course it needs to be done sometimes.

Not wishing to sound alarmist, you know.

Removing wood to accommodate a new nut can weaken the neck structure and is totally unnecessary. Simplest method is to remove material from the bottom of the new nut by rubbing it flat over some sandpaper on a hard surface until you reach the desired height. If you mean that you had to clean the old glue from this area with sandpaper then this is fine and of course it needs to be done sometimes.

Not wishing to sound alarmist, you know.

Yeah!! I know! It´s all about to removing glue and ,00000000001" of wood with glue ;) thanks

Have you Holcomb SE players ever played the Clint Lowery SE? I’m wondering how they compare. I had the Lowery for a year ... used it for 4 or 5 full-step down songs in a hard rock cover band. It was an OK guitar but this Holcomb looks higher quality. Thoughts?

Back