NGD - 2017 PRS Mark Holcomb SE is in da house!

A few weeks ago Mr. Mark Holcomb conducted some clinics in Germany (and Europe). Unfortunately I wasn't available to join any of that venues, because of being attendee to a military training for some month in the western south of Germany.

But friends are friends, therefore Frank, who visited the clinic in Frankfurt / Main, Germany, took my backlate to the silver pen of Mark Holcomb.

Because of an national holiday today I headed back home the aporox. 375 miles by train yesterday. After a short night (estimated time of arrival 10.30 pm, actual time of arrival 00:30 am, and the human alarm clock (children) in the morning at 06:30 am) I opened Frank's envelope this morning, put on a few layers of clear coating. Now it's dry and reinstalled.
Thanks Frank, thanks Mark for giving up the course of action to paint a penis on my backplate.
I may introduce my PRS SE Mark Heartcomb to you:

dscn2774-jpg.558962

dscn2775-jpg.558963

dscn2776-jpg.558964

Last edited:
@Olocatolay, indeed, I did change the knobs. They´re the same likewise the Holcomb Core features, they´re black O-Ring-Knobs by Hipshot. This weekend I´ll change the tuners. Schaller delivered the M6 locking tuners w/ ebony tuner buttons.
I'm going to order the Schaller M6 locking tuners, but I'm unsure of which version that will fit? Checking out Schaller's website now, and I don't know which one will fit my Mark Holcomb SE. Which M6 version have you installed? Are they a perfect drop-in replacement, or do you have to modify anything?

I ordered the "ordinary" M6 tuners, @Olocatolay, but as custom order in shade "Ruthenium". By changing from metal tuner buttons to woodens ones, there is some rasping of edges necessary to prevent some of the wooden tuner buttons from hitting the head stock.
If you use them as delivered, there is no problem.

BUT: M6 spindles are little shorter than the ones of installed genuine PRS SE. Therefore it is a must to install a new nut, rasp it to the new requirements to fullfil the appropriate friction and tension of the strings. If you don´t pay attention to this detail, your guitar might suffer from severe detune tendency.

There would be more competition if they carve the top likewise the core line. And - specific to the Mark Holcomb - eleminate the white binding around the fretboard.

The M6 required more effort to be installed than expected. The Schaller screws remained to be thinner than the genuine ones, therefore it was not possible to bolt the tuner tight on the headstock with them. Okay, then the original screws.
But the holes of Schaller housing needed to be extented a little bit to insert the PRS screws. Hail to the cordless scredriver! I pressed the screw bit into the hole and let it run a few rounds. Problem solved. After all tuners got that care I installed them.
I noticed that the tuner axes are a little shorter than the PRS´, maybe the pressure to the nut increases to a certain extent. I might take the guitar to a tech to optimize the nut slots if the tuning is not stable.
Notice of sadness: Schaller didn´t delliver as ordered. They forget the ebony tuner buttons. But they are expected to be shipped soon.

Therefore I only reached subordinate objective.

R2nAfya47sX2XR8Mxk0HeTwiFCvDjDmVqlvTfVDLc1jnjLSSkWnqhcnc4faQsFU_Qd0uXfVk9sY=w879-h919-no

nUvP80-vf3cF9ROfmt_JRFb-A2LheMr1chawmkeuKv3hiZ1YzgZvcOmnk9DbJh6Fr3uAkXE3cJc=w1268-h919-no
May I ask about which nut do you put in!? Si 20” radius? Do you have to make any adjustment!? Thanks

May I ask about which nut do you put in!? Si 20” radius? Do you have to make any adjustment!? Thanks

Sure! A friend of mine is a guitar tech, who adjusted the PRS core nut to the guitar, especially because of the lower axis of those Schaller tuners compared to the origin PRS SE tuners. Rasping was necessary by that fact indeed.

Probably a dumb question, but to replace the knobs, do you just pop them off or is there some specific technique so as not to damage the pots?

Thank you, Sergio! Though the current grey limited edition for the European leg of traders and customers is a stunner, too.

Nice axe! I’ve been using the Grover tip lock tuners on SE’s... they work great and look almost like core tuners... :D

Back