NGD 2015 SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow 10-23-2015

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
But alas it is not for me, but for my youngest son for Christmas.
I got him a 2012 PRS SE Semi-Hollow for his birthday of that year, and this one is an updated model with an F hole instead of the slash hole on his first one.

This one has the wide/fat neck like his other one and a few of my PRS SEs I have like the Santana and Zach Myer ones.
I prefer the thinner wide/thin neck on the SEs, but I also enjoy playing this type of neck too.
In fact this neck seems to be thinner than a wide/fat one, and more like a wide/thin, weird.

The only mods to this new guitar are Schaller Strap Locks which I put on every guitar, and the Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners.
The dealer put on the latter.
Those too go on just about every SE guitar I have bought from my dealer.

The finish on this guitar is very nice, and it plays very nice too.
I would say this plays perhaps better than any other SE guitar I own, including the SE Santana, SE Zach Myers, SE Custom 24 and the SE Tremonti Custom.
And the latter two have the wide/thin neck which I prefer, but this Custom 22 plays better than all of them.
Derick who did the setup down at A Sharp Music where I buy all of my guitars from really hit it out of the park with the setup on this one, and the team in South Korea really built a gem here.

Playing this acoustically too it just rings.
This guitar was 1/4th of what my Maryland USA built 408 cost, and it plays very competitively with it.
Of course the wood, electronics, and other stuff are not up to the same quality as the 408, but this one just has a magic vibe to it.

Links:
PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow
Schaller 14010101 Security Straplocks, Nickel
Planet Waves Auto-Trim Tuning Machines, 3 + 3 Setup, Chrome

This will give me some time to mess around with it since Christmas is two months away :D
These SE guitars are an incredible value, and often blow away more expensive USA made guitars by F&G.
On with some pics!

1.jpg

I have three extra USA built cases, so my son will be getting this guitar in one of them.
The gig bag it came with is also brown now instead of the maroon color they have been for the past several years.

2.jpg

The SEs no longer ship with the PRS truss rod covers, but I have a few extra laying around so I threw one on.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The pic makes it look yellow, but it is a nice dark orange.

5.jpg

The Planet Wave Auto-Trim tuners.
Best tuners I have ever used next to the PRS Phase IIIs that are on my 408.
PRS should really think about adding these to all of their SEs from the factory.
Only thing is new holes need to be drilled for the screws.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Less curvy than its USA cousin, but still great too hold and play.
I am going to try and make a video tomorrow and upload it if I get time.

That's funny, I just looked at one of these in a shop yesterday, and I had a very similar impression of the neck - bulkier than a wide thin, but somehow slightly shallower front to back than the old SE wide fat. I didn't play it much, but I gave it a good once over visually, nice weight and feel, hardware and finish were fantastic. Just hard to get too excited about because I already have my S2 Custom Semi at home, and it would be repetitive to have both. To be fair though, I love stoptials, if I didn't already have the S2 I might have gone with the SE instead, they're no slouch! I may yet get one of the solid versions and put one of the new Mann adjustable stoptails on it. My first PRS was an SE Custom 22 stoptail, wish I still had it.

Hope you enjoy it.. until Christmas!

Kick a$$ father of the year award. Doned.
Thanks!
That's funny, I just looked at one of these in a shop yesterday, and I had a very similar impression of the neck - bulkier than a wide thin, but somehow slightly shallower front to back than the old SE wide fat. I didn't play it much, but I gave it a good once over visually, nice weight and feel, hardware and finish were fantastic. Just hard to get too excited about because I already have my S2 Custom Semi at home, and it would be repetitive to have both. To be fair though, I love stoptials, if I didn't already have the S2 I might have gone with the SE instead, they're no slouch! I may yet get one of the solid versions and put one of the new Mann adjustable stoptails on it. My first PRS was an SE Custom 22 stoptail, wish I still had it.

Hope you enjoy it.. until Christmas!
The thinner neck and the 25" scale on it I am diggin' very much.
I may have to change the strings on it before then :D
I'm sure he will love the guitar. Sounds like some father/son jams are in your future. Congrats. ENJOY!!!
That would be cool.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Really nice!

I would like to be adopted.
Funny you say that, my lead at work said the same thing a few weeks back when I told him I bought another guitar, but not for me.
This is the ninth PRS guitar I have bought from my dealer now, with seven for me, and two for my youngest son.
Very nice!!

+1 for Planet Waves tuners, I have em on my SE Bernie and Tele.
Thanks!
I also like the ratio on these tuners besides the fact they cut the string for you.
But...the only guitar I have that did not have to have new screw holes drilled was that little Fernandes guitar with the built in speaker I have.
I'm with Les here. You are up for the Father of the Year. D@mn! Congratts and I know your boys will get a lot of great playing time after Christmas. :top:
Thanks, I tend to spoil them a bit during the holiday season
xmas7.gif

Last year they got identical sets of Craftsman tools and tool boxes.

Very cool (wish I could get my son interested in guitar).

what a cool gift
Can't wait for my son to be older so I can get him one and teach him the basics
Congrats, let us know how she sounds during this two months trial

I like it a lot ...good score
Thanks, I feel like we lucked out with this one.
He had another one in stock, the dark colored one with all black uncovered pups.
Very cool (wish I could get my son interested in guitar).
Has he played any of yours?
what a cool gift
Can't wait for my son to be older so I can get him one and teach him the basics
Congrats, let us know how she sounds during this two months trial
That would be cool.
I ran it through the Mark Five 25 today for about an hour, felt great.
Congrats on the new guitar - A great value. Hope both you and your son enjoy it
Thanks, I have a feeling he will enjoy it.
How does it compare to the SE Zach Myers?
Since I have a Zack Myers, I can tell you this Custom 22 blows it out of the water playability wise.
I much prefer the 25" scale over the 24.5" scale, and I like this slightly thinner neck over the ZM.
I have never really bonded with my ZM.
Perhaps it was not setup the best.
I think the Custom 22 may be the first guitar that Derick has setup for me.

What do you think about the tone? The Zach Meyers has different humbuckers and more knobs

GAS+++++++++++++++++++

I reckon that hollow body would have a wicked sustain that really wails when you try pinch harmonics?

GAS+++++++++++++++++++

I reckon that hollow body would have a wicked sustain that really wails when you try pinch harmonics?
Pinches are a little above my pay grade :D

But I am stocked that this is the best playing SE I have played yet.
And I sunk a lotta money into my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom, and this still plays nicer.
Maybe being a stoptail helps too.
I had Dimebag pickups put into the Tremonti as well as USA wiring, pots, and caps, but I really like the way this Custom 22 Semi-Hollow feels in my hands.

My next core model is going to be a stoptail.
Just wish they still made the SC250.

Back