NGD - 1990 CE-24 Maple fretboard

Noob question here: Is that bookmatch line, or joinery line on the top, off centre? Or are my eyes off? I just bought an alder CE24 with a maple fretboard and when back home, I saw what seems to be a joinery line, that is off centre and skewed.. Is that possible?
Another question: is this a really a maple top, on an alder body with no binding??
It is common practice for the joint in the top to be centred, because it is used by the luthier as the “centre line” during construction, from which the neck, body hardware are aligned as we all know.

However, good question with regard this one, not sure if it’s an optical illusion.

Last edited:
Love it...Go 010's...and those strap buttons are on my "other" company's ($pector...)basses...I love those types...great for almost any strap.

It is common practice for the joint in the top to be centred, because it is used by the luthier as the “centre line” during construction, from which the neck, body hardware are aligned as we all know.

However, good question with regard this one, not sure if it’s an optical illusion.

i'll open a new thread about my CE24 Black Sunburst

Noob question here: Is that bookmatch line, or joinery line on the top, off centre? Or are my eyes off? I just bought an alder CE24 with a maple fretboard and when back home, I saw what seems to be a joinery line, that is off centre and skewed.. Is that possible?
Another question: is this a really a maple top, on an alder body with no binding??

The one in this thread does not have a maple top. It is all alder. It does appear to be two-piece with an off center join. Where the wood joins is completely cosmetic, though. It's nice to have a center joined two-piece, or an evenly joined three-piece, but it's meaningless as far as functionality and tone goes.

I'll take a look tonight, if I remember, to see how off-center the joint is. I don't recall it looking jarring, but maybe I just never noticed.

It looks like a plain body (no maple top) which means it's just a body join, they aren't a centre line because the pieces aren't book matched. Nearly every guitar with multi-piece bodies has joins like that, especially strats and SGs

I took a look last night. The seam is ever so slightly to the treble side, by about 1/16" or less, using the strap pin for reference. Can't really be seen in casual glance. So the off-center look in the photo I posted is optical illusion, mostly, but based on a very slight true asymmetry.

I have a 92 EGII that's alder, with an off center joinery line. Soundwise, it's my dream guitar. This one will never go.
after 3 weeks of owning the very same guitar (see my other post) I am baffled: I never played a guitar that is so... productive: every time I pick her up, I'm producing new sounds, riffs and songs, as if they're all in there, in that magic alder/maple/bolt-on combo, all i have to do is plug her in let her loose.

My all mahogany/rosewood/neckthrough 10pound 80ies N°1 forever guitar feels all weird and pointless now.

Last edited:
after 3 weeks of owning the very same guitar (see my other post) I am baffled: I never played a guitar that is so... productive: every time I pick her up, I'm producing new sounds, riffs and songs, as if they're all in there, in that magic alder/maple/bolt-on combo, all i have to do is plug her in let her loose.

My all mahogany/rosewood/neckthrough 10pound 80ies N°1 forever guitar feels all weird and pointless now.
Isn't it interesting how that happens?!

When I got my RL SH Vela, I was suddenly making noises and tones and riffs that had never appeared before. I'm now able to replicate them to a degree on other guitars, but there was no hint until the Vela.

Same happened with the JA15 I got around Christmas: jazzy and bluesy tones were suddenly right there at my finger tips, when they had eluded me so much in the past.

My other guitars aren't pointless, they are still quite worth instruments that do their thing awesomely, but depending on which guitar I am playing, I may not pick another up for quite a while!

Back