NF Humbucker question

BWV548

Custom Title
I realize that crowd sourcing opinions on all things timbral and musical, can be something of a non-starter. However, this is my only, initial option, and you lot are usually very knowledgeable and helpful.
I'm working through the details on my PS and am locking down the pickups/switching etc.
I know that i want an NF Humbucker in the center position. What I'm not clear on, is if there is any sonic value in tapping/splitting such a narrow pickup. Does the coverage of an extremely small length of string yield anything musically usable. Adding the tapping into the electronics doesn't really add significant cost. So it's not a $$ issue. It's a "I hate pointless functionality issue". However, I really don't know if it would be pointless.
Would love to get some info on experiences people have with NF Hums and using them in dual and single coil mode.
If anyone can point me to recorded examples, well that would be just awesome!
Thanks in advance

This is a great question. I absolutely LOVE my NF3. Before I joined the forum, back when I was just lurking, and way before I had the NF3, there was a guy that sent his NF or studio (one or the other, I just remember it had at least 2 NF pickups) to PTC and had a split option. He raved about it here. I was interested at the time, but never having experienced any NFs I didn't yet see the magic that they are.

Then there was a guy either here or at TGP, that had his wired like this... 1 neck NF, 2 neck/middle both split, 3 middle, 4 middle/bridge both split, 5 bridge. So he had all the coils split but only positions 2 and 4 really changed. He also raved about it, saying he really had the "S quack" in those positions.

If I ever got onother NF3 or Studio, I'd absolutely consider a tap wiring setup. These are GREAT GREAT pickups. But I have the 57/08s in my C22 semi hollow LTD and they split very very well. Since NFs and 57/08s are kissin cousins, (Ok actually more like identical twins, but one weighs 20lbs more than the other), I can only assume that the NFs would split extremely well. I just love the NF3 so much, I'm afrad to mess with it. All the more reason I need a Swamp Ash Studio...

Good luck. I'd order a split option!

I added splitting to a couple of my prs but never use it. It doesn't take away from the experience, and I could choose to use it in the future. There are guitars I use splitting on. Mostly my P245.

I'd get it, but hide the splitting with push pull knobs. I'm not a fan of micro switches.

To DTR's point, I have a dual humbucking guitar with a 5-way. Bridge, bridge split, bridge+ neck split, neck split, neck. Love that. Added tone push pull to get neck+ bridge humbucking, never use it. But glad I have it.

Seems to me that if it's not a huge upcharge, go for it. Worst case is that you have it and don't use it.

I really like the option of a single coil center ( 513 , 509 ) on my NF3 / 59 I put a Vintage rails pickup center that I really like if I had a NF pickup center I would love it to be tappable ( also consider out of phase it can be great fun ) most single coils and many tapped buckers have a nice bit of extra treble I like at times

IMG_2736 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/

I can’t speak to splitting the NF in the middle pickup spot, but I have it on my 20th Private Stock Anniversary model, and it’s the best sounding middle pickup I’ve ever had.

So, good choice either way!

Splitting the pickup not only means a narrower magnetic window, but it also reduces the inductance and resistance, which results in a brighter tone and lower output. So it'll definitely sound different, but you'll have to decide on its usefulness.

Splitting the NF hasn't been done very often. I don't know of any recordings that would illustrate the difference other than maybe demos of the Super Eagle.

Perfect. Just the sort of answer I was looking for.
Thanks and thanks to all who responded

Ok, I'm not altogether sure that you can split a NF. I sent a set to the PTC to have them installed in a Santana. I initialing asked that they split the NF's and install a Freeway Switch. I was told that the NFs were not capable of being split. I was hoping that they could crack them and do it, but they weren't willing to. On the opposite end, I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere on this forum that someone had them split. Not sure where, or how, but it was done. YMMV.

The frustrating bit - PRS folks please make a note as constructive feedback-is that PRS are willing to do a video conference around wood choice, but not a discussion on electronics. So the reseller that I’m going through is playing intermediary. Which isn’t ideal. If I could get 30-40 min on a call with one of their electronics folks, i could sort the details

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not altogether sure that you can split a NF. I sent a set to the PTC to have them installed in a Santana. I initialing asked that they split the NF's and install a Freeway Switch. I was told that the NFs were not capable of being split. I was hoping that they could crack them and do it, but they weren't willing to. On the opposite end, I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere on this forum that someone had them split. Not sure where, or how, but it was done. YMMV.

I seem to remember some very brave person modified his to split. It can be done just as with any other two-conductor humbucker. I bet PTC probably doesn't want to take the time and risk to hack 'em up.

The NF on the Super Eagle splits, which is the first case I know of where PRS actually did it. It would appear that some other people have opted for that based on pics in the Private Stock Friday thread.

I can’t speak to splitting the NF in the middle pickup spot, but I have it on my 20th Private Stock Anniversary model, and it’s the best sounding middle pickup I’ve ever had.

So, good choice either way!

Agree. Mine isn't a PS, but the middle pickup in my NF3 is great! It is a great solo voice! And, while Les uses it mainly clean to mid gain, I use it clean to high gain, so between the two of us, it's covering a lot of range and still covering it extremely well.

Back