Newb - Wing Tuner Advice

ibanezfan1

Having received my '96 CE about 5 months or so ago - without a doubt the best guitar, I've ever played in my 40 years of playing!!!!

But I thought I would offer my advice (probably already mentioned on here time and again), but here are my suggestions. The online videos helped a little, but this worked better for me.

• Cut of a 4-5 inch piece of an OLD A or E string (thick strings) and set it aside
  • I remove all my strings at once
  • Once off, I do a full cleaning of the guitar, lemon oil on the board, nut sauce in the nut, etc.
  • FIRST THING: With guitar fully wiped down, I take that OLD string and start pre-aligning the slots for the winged tuners; do all six and have them ready so you can slip the OLD test string in when ready. If it's long enough, it should lay in all three groove slots horizontally. DO NOT install your strings until all the tuners are aligned and ready for the strings.
  • On the E, B, G, strings wind towards the body of the guitar.
  • Start with your first string, srtring should go right in the groove and you can get a good grip behind the screen an pull tight. If possible I would recommend a slight down pull on the string to get it taught and then take my forward thumb and press a little pressure up front on the slot to ensure it's grabbing properly. Sometimes you can use the wing in the string in front as a slight hold guide while you are pulling the string taunt.
  • Tune, Stretch, Tune, Stretch, Tune - should be good to go.
  • Keep your OLD string for the next time
Cleaning, tuner alighnmnet and new string on an din place, fully tuned and ready to go - about 5 min.(alignment took me the longerst) Last few tries - I couldn't get the B string loaded properly an dhad to purchase a 5 pack of B's (and E') just in case. Tonight - All went on first time with no issues.

I hope this helps someone out there. Best of luck, Bodie

www.bloodwaterband.com

That's one way to do it.

Or you can align the slots along the strings and pull them tight while you turn the tuning key. When the cam engages the string it will automatically align the wing. The string tension from tuning binds the string between the wing slot and the cam.

Btw I like your band. Good stuff dude. :)

Atomic - Thanks!!!! Yeah, I just found it easier for me if I align all the slots before I start winding the first string. Have a great day - Bodie

Back