New tubes

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I had posted about a noise issue with my old 5150 a couple weeks ago. I went through my records and realized it had been a REALLY long time since a tube swap.

I contacted Doug's tubes and requested a tube set that was classic rock voiced without the fizziness these amps tend to have.

Once the tubes arrived I stuck them in and tried amp, noise was gone but I really didn't have time to fool with it.

We gigged this past weekend and I discovered the tubes he sent me seem to have reduced output a little. I have been using a foam barrier to allow me to run amp pretty loud without killing with volume out front.

What I ended up with is an amp that is clean and bright with a sharper attack 6-7 on guitar volume, around 8 it gets really nice overdrive and full volume makes that final push into a really nice distortion.

My settings were master on 10 gain on 3 1/2. I think I like this.

Tubes sure matter! What kind did you put in the amp?

Power tubes were Ruby 6L6GCMS
V1 Tung-so 12AX7
V2-V3-V4 Ruby 12AX7AC4HG
V5 Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

I have to admit I don't really understand what the difference between the preamp tubes would be but I went with what was recommended after explaning what I was after.

I don't have time to practice much guitar these days so studying tubes kind of falls off my list.

The Tung Sol 12AX7 is my fave in my amp.

I have a set of new production Mullards (EL34) for whenever I need power tubes next.

Power tubes were Ruby 6L6GCMS
V1 Tung-so 12AX7
V2-V3-V4 Ruby 12AX7AC4HG
V5 Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

I have to admit I don't really understand what the difference between the preamp tubes would be but I went with what was recommended after explaning what I was after.

I don't have time to practice much guitar these days so studying tubes kind of falls off my list.

The Ruby 6L6s (and probably 12AX7s) are re-brands from Shuguang, and are considered the best made and best sounding tubes made in China. It's my understanding that they're the same ones Mesa uses on their new production amps.

Tung Sol are based on the design of old USA brand tubes; the brand names Tung Sol, Mullard, and a few others were bought a few years ago, and are now put on tubes made in Russia, they aren't made by the original companies. The Sovteks are copies of the old long plate Telefunken tubes, if memory serves.

These are all very good quality tubes, based on my experience with them.

Since no companies in the US, the U.K., or Western Europe make tubes any more, these copies of the old designs are what's out there, unless you fork out the extra dough for NOS. Which I do, because I'm a tube slut,

The Ruby 6L6s (and probably 12AX7s) are re-brands from Shuguang, and are considered the best made and best sounding tubes made in China. It's my understanding that they're the same ones Mesa uses on their new production amps.

Tung Sol are based on the design of old USA brand tubes; the brand names Tung Sol, Mullard, and a few others were bought a few years ago, and are now put on tubes made in Russia, they aren't made by the original companies. The Sovteks are copies of the old long plate Telefunken tubes, if memory serves.

These are all very good quality tubes, based on my experience with them.

Since no companies in the US, the U.K., or Western Europe make tubes any more, these copies of the old designs are what's out there, unless you fork out the extra dough for NOS. Which I do, because I'm a tube slut,
Thanks Les. That's good to know.

Back