New SE's!

RedGuitars

Thread killer
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/meet_the_all_new_2018_se_acoustic_series

2018SEAcousticBlogHeader.jpg

Might take some time to show up in stores, but you'll get your hands on one... ovangkoly.

Ok, that was a reach.

Super cool though. I'm not one bit disappointed that my wife got me the A30E for my birthday this summer, because it's just a beautiful sounding instrument, and I'm glad to have gotten the rosewood sides and back while they were still available. I lusted after what was the Angelus Custom when they were first out, and it's everything I remembered and more. But, I would bet that the ovangkol will sound fantastic too, if it's anything like rosewood, like they said in the video.

Also want to try the A50, with the maple back and sides. Les has a maple body PS that he speaks highly of, so it should be a cool one.

If anyone is wondering, yes, you want one of these!

OK, I want one of these. So much for my GAS suppression.

Love the switch to ebony fretboards across the range.

I would like a naturally louder guitar - one I can play unamplified next to someone strumming on another acoustic. My SE Angelus Custom is a nice sounding guitar, but a bit on the quiter side, especially single-note lead wise. My maple-bodied (non-PRS) acoustic is a bit louder than my SE Angelus Custom (rosewood body), but I'd love to have a PRS that punches in even more loudly.

So which will likely provide the greater volume for single-note lead work and/or strumming: maple, ovangkol, or mahogany? I'd love to try them in person, but that is unlikely given the guitar stores around here (Sam Ash and GC - neither carry a wide selection of PRSi, especially acoustics).

Looks like the new ones are made in China now. I wonder why the switch from WMU in Korea?
Cost, I suspect.

Looking at the specs at Sweetwater, I see that the maple and ovangkol body versions are stated explicitly as laminate, but the mahogany isn't. I would be very surprised if there was a different process for that one (cheapest) model.

Thoughts?

I know Paul is always "quality first", but I'll admit it does take me back a little bit that they're built from that factory instead of World Musical Instruments. Has anyone here played any guitars from that Chinese factory? Just curious before I thin my heard to make room for a new one.

Count me in.

T50E, all the way.

I had a maple Taylor, and loved it. Made a couple moves, and no longer have that one.

I've already got one of these maple Tonare models set aside for pickup...when it actually shows up at my local shop!

My SE Angelus is a great instrument and I’d trust PRS continue that trend with this new line. Finding a quiet room to give them a whirl might be tough to find.

Sweetwater has a TX20E on eBay. I think it’s cool they brought the Tonare into the SE line. I’ll be interested to play each of the different woods on that model.

I listened to all of the clips last night.

I've got dark and boomy covered, with my D-28. I've got midrange covered with my Grand Auditorium.

Only base left to cover is uppers and upper mids. Sounds like the T50E will do quite nicely. Added bonus - the burst finish on the back, split with that abalone strip, looks 57 kinds of wicked!

These look awesome and I've been passively interested in getting a new acoustic.

How's the scale length on the PRS SE acoustics? Can't say I've ever played a 25.3 inch scaled acoustic before. I'll definitely be wanting to try before I buy, but curious if anyone has some experience.

Kind of in the market for a new acoustic, and this may just push me over the edge.......

Gorgeous instruments!

These look awesome and I've been passively interested in getting a new acoustic.

How's the scale length on the PRS SE acoustics? Can't say I've ever played a 25.3 inch scaled acoustic before. I'll definitely be wanting to try before I buy, but curious if anyone has some experience.
i switch between PRS acoustic and electric easily, so the scale length doesn't bother me. But my PRS electrics have a variety of scales, some 24.5" scale, some 25" scale, some 25.5", and some 27.7"...so perhaps I am more accommodating than the average bear.

Back