New Schaller S-Locks

Another possible improvement on these new ones might be the little pointed studs on the opposite side of the wheel. My old versions rarely loosen anymore since I tighten them with a socket wrench but maybe those studs will prevent them from spinning if they do loosen at all. Part of the reason I chose Schaller over Dunlop to begin with, is if the pin part of the Dunlop fails or breaks, there's nothing to keep your guitar from going down. The Schaller at least has the U shape part that the button is cradled in. The 2 straps that I use fit ok in the old Schaller locks with a little bit of convincing so the thickness isn't a huge deal for me. I think the new ball end on these looks a little easier to grip too. My current set on my most used strap is OLD and don't pull as easy as they once did. I have the noise issue when moving around as shown in the video. Actually used noise in the studio with my amps and a big cavern swirly reverb to make a creepy, creaky sound. So I may loose some creativity with these if they are silent.
https://soundcloud.com/vaughnk/awake-feedback-clip

Love the new locking wheel and the noiseless aspect...

But, the one peice screw/button is a deal breaker for me. I don’t put anything but the original screw back into the guitar. My core PRS and Fender had screws that fit perfect into a Schaller button. My SE and my son’s SE required a tiny amount of screw head to be filed off to fit, but the body of the instrument hasnt been moded at all.

...Part of the reason I chose Schaller over Dunlop to begin with, is if the pin part of the Dunlop fails or breaks, there's nothing to keep your guitar from going down. The Schaller at least has the U shape part that the button is cradled in...
Ditto, bro! That’s exaxtly my reasoning. As much as I like the PRS design, I find it clunky and slow. The only time I’m nervous about using them is when I’m at Markie’s and I’m schlepping some insane Private Stock with a perny neck and unicorn tears inlay where a mistake would set me back a year’s college tuition+room/board!

Ditto, bro! That’s exaxtly my reasoning. As much as I like the PRS design, I find it clunky and slow. The only time I’m nervous about using them is when I’m at Markie’s and I’m schlepping some insane Private Stock with a perny neck and unicorn tears inlay where a mistake would set me back a year’s college tuition+room/board!

Aw, Markie would never make you pay for an accident like that!

You'd just quietly be disappeared.

Well, I ordered off amazon and received the old version. Back they go, guess I’ll have to wait.

Well, I ordered off amazon and received the old version. Back they go, guess I’ll have to wait.

I went right to the horse's mouth and ordered direct from Schaller. We'll see how soon they ship. I ended up on the GC website somehow. It said July 21st for an ETA. May have been the finish I was looking at though.

I went right to the horse's mouth and ordered direct from Schaller. We'll see how soon they ship. I ended up on the GC website somehow. It said July 21st for an ETA. May have been the finish I was looking at though.
One of the few places that seem to have actual stock is stew mac. I was trying to avoid shipping charges as I don’t need anything else from there right now.

Wow, I watched the video and it seems they corrected all the problems I always had with the Schallers. I had the noise problems they mentioned, and issues with the nut coming loose. I switched to Dunlop a long time ago and have been 100% happy with those, but would consider these in the future. They look pretty nice.

One of the few places that seem to have actual stock is stew mac. I was trying to avoid shipping charges as I don’t need anything else from there right now.

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have looked a little harder. The shipping from Germany ($29) was more than the locks ($17).

Figured I should update since I’ve gotten these and used them through a few band rehearsals.

1) they are indeed quiet with no rattle or noise with movement

2) the locks will work with the old buttons but you hear the rattle with the old buttons

3) more ergonomically friendly

Time will tell whether they stay tight or not. So far I’m happy with the upgrade.

I just bought a McCarty, and would like to put on Schallers. I had the old type on my SE Custom 24 in the past, and the screw fit. Although, to be honest, I now cannot recall if I used the PRS screw or the Schaller screw.

I would like to try the new style S-Locks, but am really concerned about having to use Schaller's built-in screw. Is it the same size as the stock PRS core screw? Will it make the hole larger (making it impossible to reinsert the PRS screw later)?

What’s your major?

Back