New Pickups for PRS SE Custom 24

firepile

Looking to replace the stock pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24.

Want something with medium output, good for rock/prog, not full on metal.

1st choice was a Dimarzio The Breed set, but I fear it may be too dark and muddy for this guitar?

Other pickups I've looked at are the Dimarzio Transition set and the SD JB/Jazz combo.

Any advice?

Got one with 59/09's and another with the standard VB/HBS potted and covered to go with an ebony board. Both sound great! Definitely not metal material.

You won't find many pickups too dark for that guitar, the maple neck keeps things pretty bright and snappy. I put a Gravity Storm bridge in my SE CU24, a very bass heavy pickup, and it still sounded bright. So, get whatever you like output wise, it'll be fine.

The SD Jazz neck PU is quite bright, so I wouldn't advise that. And to be honest, I've alway thought of it as being quite sterile.

Duncan Pegasus & Sentient.
The Pegasus was designed for the modern prog player and is medium output. I haven't played it myself unfortunately but I've heard good things.

I have an SE Tim Mahoney and I replaced the stocks with Seymour Duncan pearly gates in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. I dig it. I have pearly gates on my LP as well, great pickup if you need something with a little more twang and high end

Duncan Pegasus & Sentient.
The Pegasus was designed for the modern prog player and is medium output. I haven't played it myself unfortunately but I've heard good things.
I have the Pegasus/sentient set in my se custom 24, they do sound good, but definitely still a bright sounding guitar.

+1 on the Pearly Gate/'59 combo for SEs. I've got them on a few guitars, they sing real purdy on the SE Orianthi I've modded.

Back