New Paul’s guitar vs old ???

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Few months back I bought a Paul’s Brushstroke 24. Awesome guitar with really focused pickups, I love the split coil sounds.

So now there’s a new Paul’s guitar with PRS’s TCI (Tuned Capacitance and Inductance) pickups. Anyone have one of these?

Anyone have both the new Paul’s guitar and the older version?

Is there a significant difference in tone?

The new pickups sound really good in video but so do the old, I think I hear a better single coil sound regarding the TCI pickups but I’m just going by the video.

:rolleyes:

Mine's a mint used 2013. The new ones are Private Stock.

I can't imagine the new ones somehow could sound better. Nuance perhaps.
7C76971D-62C0-47E4-9B4D-D8CAB820EC5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah. It sounds different, especially in single coil.

But I still like mine (those grapes are probably sour anyway).

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of my Brushstroke 24 but I also really dig what I hear with those new pickups. I mean lets face it the original pickups are awesome, the new are just another type of awesome :cool:

The one on the left has the new TCI, the one on the right the original 408 system. The new single coil sound is quite different from the old, and has a full, multi-dimensional quality about it. Humbucker wise they’re the same.

You know, I flunk badly everytime I try to describe pickup sounds :p. How a coil of wire senses and interprets the movement of a metal string through a changing magnetic field, is such an alien thing, probably only a talking coil of wire can truly describe.
266b4IG.jpg

The one on the left has the new TCI, the one on the right the original 408 system. The new single coil sound is quite different from the old, and has a full, multi-dimensional quality about it. Humbucker wise they’re the same.

You know, I flunk badly everytime I try to describe pickup sounds :p. How a coil of wire senses and interprets the movement of a metal string through a changing magnetic field, is such an alien thing, probably only a talking coil of wire can truly describe.
266b4IG.jpg

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like those TCI pups sound pretty good in single coil. Now the tough question, if you had to choose between the two single coil tones what would you choose, 408 pups or the TCIs ??

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like those TCI pups sound pretty good in single coil. Now the tough question, if you had to choose between the two single coil tones what would you choose, 408 pups or the TCIs ??
The TCI’s without question! They really really do sound good.

I was very impressed by the PRS demo video. Then I got this new guitar and I happily found that it sounded exactly like the demo. It is it’s own sound, that I can say. Which makes it unique.

That said my interest is much more in ‘inherent tone’ than pickups. That these sound so good is a happy coincidence.

I acquired this particular guitar because it was Paul’s personal guitar - it was his prototype for the TCI Paul’s Guitar.

Last edited:
Back