New (?) Mira Maple Top...Issue

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
A "used" 2008 Mira Maple Top (tri-color burst) just arrived at my house today, shipped from a reputable authorized PRS reseller (national chain). I was shocked to find that the case looked completely new, and the guitar, aside from a few minor scratches, looks completely unplayed. Ever. All case candy, hang tag, warranty card - even the envelope with the case keys still had the original tape and was unopened.

I am assuming that this was a new instrument that just hung around the store somewhere for 4 years, and they listed it as used to get rid of it. They could not confirm or deny.

Two issues:

1) APPEARANCE: The finish of the guitar, when you look at a reflection of a light on the surface, is wavy - i.e. the flame maple top grain actually looks like it has ripples in it. You can also barely feel a the seam where the two top bookends meet, and when viewed from the side, you can also see the seam where the top joins the body. I don't know if this is considered "checking" because there is no cracking, but it's wavy.

2) SOUND: I don't know what a Mira Maple Top is "supposed' to sound like, but after reading how "bright" and "alive" this guitar is supposed to be, I am underwhelmed. On single coil especially, it sounds less bright than my all-mahogany 1993 Standard 24, and positively dead compared to my 2003 SE EG (SSS stoptail). Those others are strung with .09s, and the Mira with .10s, not sure how much that has to do with it. Strings do indeed look new. When tapped, it's also very buzzy - something which I am used to from my SE EG, but I just don't have with the Std24.

Did I get ripped off with a B-stock, damaged instrument? I've got three weeks left to return it if I need to...

Thanks for reading.

I can't speak about all of your issues, but the "waviness" sounds normal. PRS applies very thin finishes because they sound better. As for the noise, when you tap a humbucker, it becomes a singlecoil, with all the noise and 60-cycle hum that comes with it. Perhaps you could post some pics and let us take a look?

I wonder if a setup/pup height adjustment might fix things for you.
My Mira is not a maple top but I can tell you that with the stock 245 pups it can be bright as you like. Coil split is bright big time!

Trying to figure out how to post images...I took two pics where you can see a light bulb reflected in the surface of the Mira Maple Top, and then in the surface of my SE Sanatana, with the flame veneer. You can see the halogen bulb reflection very clearly in the SE, but the one on the Mira is distorted and wavy...will try to figure out how to attach photos, sorry, first post.

CantankerousCarl said:
Trying to figure out how to post images...I took two pics where you can see a light bulb reflected in the surface of the Mira Maple Top, and then in the surface of my SE Sanatana, with the flame veneer. You can see the halogen bulb reflection very clearly in the SE, but the one on the Mira is distorted and wavy...will try to figure out how to attach photos, sorry, first post.
Get yourself a Photobucket account (or similar) Carl.
Then you can upload pics there and use the "share" function for forums. At that point just copy and paste that link into the body of your reply and you're golden!
:)

Until I get the photos posted, can anyone comment on whether or not it's natural for the maple top to be wavy?

Does anyone out there have a ample-topped PRS that is not completely smooth as this one, where you can actually see / feel the grain of the flames and the seam?

Again, my main concern is how this thing is going to look / age. I doubt is would affect playability, but if this is the beginning of checking, or will lead to it, then I don't want to hang onto the guitar - I will find another. One nice side affect of buying a PRS is that you pretty much guarantee that it will at least hold its value, if not appreciate, and I would have a hard time keeping the instrument knowing that it will look awful down the road.

w.r.t. the tone, I think the strings have alot to do with it - I am compaing the sound of uncoated .09s to coated .10s (ClearTone) on the Mira, which probably accounts for the majority of the "dead-ness."

CantankerousCarl said:
Until I get the photos posted, can anyone comment on whether or not it's natural for the maple top to be wavy?"
Hi Carl. Welcome to Mecca.

I think the 1st person to respond (Brad) hit the nail on the head.

I have three comments:
1) Commenting on anything based on a description is risky.
2) Yes, that sounds normal to me - even desirable. But until I see it... I'll refrain from going any further. A lot of people (like me) really like it when the super thin finish sinks into the wood. I am especially stoked when goldtops show flame. :cool: That said, I have seen posts from a few people who prefer the thicker poly finishes that don't show things like that as much.
3) You obviously don't like the guitar and common opinion won't save you from yourself. Why not return it and get a PRS that REALLY sets your heart on fire?

My Private Stock HB II shows a sunken finish. In person, it's plain as day. But for the life of me, I can't get a decent pic of it. I've seen it on 100's of older guitars.

It wouldn't (and doesn't) bother me in the least...

Jamie

You bought a four year old instrument that you say is for all appearances practically new, and you don't love it or think it was a DEAL?

I'm with Hans. Return it; you're never going to like it.

Posted four pics here:

http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii581/CantankerousCarl/PRS/

I attempted to show the reflection of a halogen light bulb in both the SE (for reference) and Mira. I think you can see the waviness of the reflected bulb in the Mira, vs the clearer surface of the SE.

Appreciate everyone's feedback, since I have never seen anything like this before, I am just trying to make sure that I did not get ripped off with an instrument that has been exposed to extremes (temp humidity) that may have caused this, and may worsen down the line.

If this is normal, then I'm fine with it, just never seen it before...thx

CantankerousCarl said:
Posted four pics here:

http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii581/CantankerousCarl/PRS/

I attempted to show the reflection of a halogen light bulb in both the SE (for reference) and Mira. I think you can see the waviness of the reflected bulb in the Mira, vs the clearer surface of the SE.

Appreciate everyone's feedback, since I have never seen anything like this before, I am just trying to make sure that I did not get ripped off with an instrument that has been exposed to extremes (temp humidity) that may have caused this, and may worsen down the line.

If this is normal, then I'm fine with it, just never seen it before...thx

Normal. I've not seen it on every PRS guitar, but on enough of them that it doesn't worry me in the least. Like I said, I have it on my PS...

Jamie

I've seen the "sunken finish" on plenty of guitars as well, nothing to worry about. The coil tap buzz is also normal on this guitar. wiring in the std 24 is hum cancelling by 2 coils wired to cancel hum.

I'd be concerned that it's not workin' for ya tone-wise.

So it sounds like the finish is normal, and doesn't necessarily mean that I will end up with a 40-year-old-looking guitar in a few years...that's good news.

Re: tone, I do have a feeling that the strings have alot to do with it, I am used to D'Addario .09s, and the shop offered a free re-string with ClearTones on the Mira - which I thought was great. I know the Mira is stock with .10s, so I had them throw those on there. I don't have any experience with coated strings, but I understand that the CTs are supposedly brighter than others.

Although I hate to waste a $13 set of free strings, tonight she's getting restrung with the .09s so I can compare apples to apples.

UPDATE (for all those on the edge of your seats):
Confirmed NOS from seller, confirmed never registered with PRS Support, also PRS and you fine folks edu-macated me on the finer points of sunken finishes...even inspiring a new thread...

.10s are back on, adjusted the neck, got rid of most of the buzz, and I must admit I'm really digging my new girl...

Now y'all can sleep tonight!

Nice to hear that you're bonding with her.

Strings are very personal and subjective. If you bring up coated strings, you're going to get some serious disagreements (I'm in the camp that won't touch them with somebody else's guitar on a 10 foot pole. ;) )

I'm big on the D'Addario 10-56 sets. 10's on a 25" scale PRS feel almost the same as 9 1/2's on a longer (25 1/2") scale instrument.... but with extra heavy bottom strings so they punch and snap instead of jangle. :ugeek:

CantankerousCarl said:
UPDATE (for all those on the edge of your seats):
Confirmed NOS from seller, confirmed never registered with PRS Support, also PRS and you fine folks edu-macated me on the finer points of sunken finishes...even inspiring a new thread...

.10s are back on, adjusted the neck, got rid of most of the buzz, and I must admit I'm really digging my new girl...

Now y'all can sleep tonight!

Great that you're finding your way with it!

My Mira was one of my most favorite PRSes out of many owned. I probably shouldn't have sold it, but I had GAS for a PRS acoustic so...

I would agree that the .010s are the way to go with the Mira. Mine felt like I was playing rubber bands with the .009s on it. The .010s make it perfect.

Enjoy it!

I had the same problem with my Grissom....this is what it looks like 4 years later! :lol:

IMG_2344.jpg

Perhaps there's a reason it sat at the store for 4 years...

CantankerousCarl said:
A "used" 2008 Mira Maple Top (tri-color burst) just arrived at my house today, shipped from a reputable authorized PRS reseller (national chain). I was shocked to find that the case looked completely new, and the guitar, aside from a few minor scratches, looks completely unplayed. Ever. All case candy, hang tag, warranty card - even the envelope with the case keys still had the original tape and was unopened.

I am assuming that this was a new instrument that just hung around the store somewhere for 4 years, and they listed it as used to get rid of it. They could not confirm or deny.

Two issues:

1) APPEARANCE: The finish of the guitar, when you look at a reflection of a light on the surface, is wavy - i.e. the flame maple top grain actually looks like it has ripples in it. You can also barely feel a the seam where the two top bookends meet, and when viewed from the side, you can also see the seam where the top joins the body. I don't know if this is considered "checking" because there is no cracking, but it's wavy.

2) SOUND: I don't know what a Mira Maple Top is "supposed' to sound like, but after reading how "bright" and "alive" this guitar is supposed to be, I am underwhelmed. On single coil especially, it sounds less bright than my all-mahogany 1993 Standard 24, and positively dead compared to my 2003 SE EG (SSS stoptail). Those others are strung with .09s, and the Mira with .10s, not sure how much that has to do with it. Strings do indeed look new. When tapped, it's also very buzzy - something which I am used to from my SE EG, but I just don't have with the Std24.

Did I get ripped off with a B-stock, damaged instrument? I've got three weeks left to return it if I need to...

Thanks for reading.

Faded - that's what I'm trying to figure out ;)

Right now, only thing left is one question / observation: adjusted the neck with just a little relief, was getting some buzzing. With height set to 2/32-5/64 the stoptail is sitting pretty much ON the top of the body - not much more room to lower at all.

Is that normal for a Mira? Have an SE 245 and SE EG both with stoptails, this is much closer to the body...

EDIT: added some pics, from cell phone, but you get the idea:

IMG-20120504-00030.jpg

IMG-20120504-00029.jpg

Back